News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Linking to a Category.

Started by SaltedWeb, August 04, 2014, 02:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

I already told you how to link to the category! But it only works if you have more boards, just like it does on this site.

What you want is to display a single category, something SMF always has avoided due to duplicate content penalties.

SaltedWeb

I liked the tab idea, my plan was to put the menu on the front page I have and link it to the category's.
The tab would be in the forum not on the front page where I have a portal.
It would give the illusion this was a different forum if I could isolate the categories visually.

I agree I am trying to make SMF do something not intended.  But I was curious if it could be done. :)
After all we weren't made to go to the moon and manged to get there  ;) hehe

QuotePS the other issue why I can do the modifications I cant find the single category in action, Would hate to spend the afternoon modding to find its not what I need.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

SaltedWeb

Maybe there is a sub-/child board addition adding to a tree or something. I'll keep poking around.

Thank you for the help. Learned allot about how these Cats work.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

jonesH

I dare suggest a rather different approach, which might turn out to be cumbersome, if it works at all, but here it goes anyway. The OP is using SP already, so it's possible to create pages that include blocks and have the menus point at the pages. The blocks could maybe be configured to show one Cat per. Makes any sense? I wonder if the SP folks could help out with that.

Edit: additionally, manipulating membergroups and permissions makes it possible to "hide" stuff from certain members and reveal them to others. Again, I feel this is cumbersome and it is perhaps stretching the reasons why certain tools are available in the first place.

SaltedWeb

Thanks John,

Appreciate it.  SP, seems to have been asked about a category block, and was an idea I looked at.
No one there has found the code block that apparently at one time existed.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: ‽ on August 04, 2014, 12:16:00 PM
I already told you how to link to the category! But it only works if you have more boards, just like it does on this site.

What you want is to display a single category, something SMF always has avoided due to duplicate content penalties.

I understood your answer, but it still would show the alternate boards with it. I would like them to not appear at all.
I am trying subforums to see if I can figure that one out so far its being slightly illusive as well.

Kindred

the sumforums mod would seem to be complete overkill... it's about setting up boards on different subdomains, not just displaying a single category.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Kindred on August 04, 2014, 03:45:46 PM
the sumforums mod would seem to be complete overkill... it's about setting up boards on different subdomains, not just displaying a single category.
Yep and its proving to be a pain in my backside.  If only Categories had a static url LOL.
Oddly today I thought Id copy paste the urls in my menu and be long on my way to setting them up.
I am trying to do something pretty simple but is not appearing that way.

Arantor

They do have a static URL...

SaltedWeb

:)
I do not find a place to copy that to without opening the forum ( showing all categories) though as we discussed earlier.  Your earlier solution is what is needed but just viewing the one category and not seeing the others. It may end up being my only alternative, but was hoping for a cleaner look as the plan will have allot of boards. ( 40 or so )There was a mod that made the child a link and that may work making the boards appear smaller and then use your idea. Its not perfect but may work unless I want to do allot of editing.

Arantor

If copy/pasting a link is too much effort, any other solution is even more so. Best of luck to you.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: ‽ on August 04, 2014, 04:00:45 PM
If copy/pasting a link is too much effort, any other solution is even more so. Best of luck to you.

LOL thats not what I said, I was going ti use the Mod child link you made.
But it had errors too. I used the emulators on it. And it corrupted the default theme.

I'll close this thread as there is no real solution and the mod that used to do this is long dead.

Kindred

ummm....     the display single category works just fine... it just needd 3 tweaks to work properly with 2.0.8
I made the tweaks myself... and was going to post them in the support thread, but then noticed that dougiefresh alreayd did the changes AND created a ne package that will install correctly on 2.0.8

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=118299.msg3718780#msg3718780

works just fine...
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?c=2
http://test.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?c=3
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jonesH

Steve

Hmm ... I come up with an error ...

Posting in mod thread ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

SaltedWeb

I ended up using the mod Tabbed Categories.
It allows one category or as many as you create. I was then able to set my button menus to link
on the tabs for the Tabbed Categories. It created them upon mod install very cool.
This allows it to appear I have several forums operating under one website,, by using the button menu
a member clicks the menu and goes to the category which is clean and looks like different forums and does not look like anything like it did prior so is a win win.

Advertisement: