changing content to another forum

Started by nikkinoodles, August 06, 2014, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikkinoodles

Hi

I was wondering if there's any way to bring over posts and members to another smf forum. We can't fix the issues that happened with the last update and I'm hoping to at least save the content and members. I just need to know how if there's a way.

Thank you in advance
Nikki

Arantor

Would it not be better to figure out what happened with the update and get it running as it was rather than trying to salvage bits of it?

I'm sure whatever happened, we can do something about fixing it.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Any issue can be fixed O.o what happened?
EDIT: ninja'd, slow reply coz I was looking for another thing in the meantime
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

You can always reset your forum to a clean installation of code without losing, or even changing, the database...

See the FAQ entry on loading a fresh set of files

And yes... As suggested, figuring out what you did wrong is important to prevent it from happening again.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nikkinoodles

I'm not sure what happened. It's like filezilla wont allow certain files to go on the server. It puts it on there and then takes it off immediately. My dad owns the server at Godaddy and he's spent hours trying to get a back up of it on and no such luck. Our forum is outdoortrader.net. Here's the error that it's saying right now:

Warning: require_once(/home/content/59/3601459/html/outdoortrader/forum/Sources/Subs.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/59/3601459/html/outdoortrader/forum/index.php on line 52

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/59/3601459/html/outdoortrader/forum/Sources/Subs.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/59/3601459/html/outdoortrader/forum/index.php on line 52

I would love help to fix it, it's been down for a month now. I'm not very versed in the language of coding as this is just a hobby. So I apologize in advance.

Is loading a fresh set of files the same as a large upgrade? If so that's what I've done. I tried it several times. We got the forum back up at one point, but no one could log on, it would say it was missing a file and couldn't load.

kat

Godaddy...

Their mod_security rules are very strict and very weird. It might be that that's deleting Subs.php.

Quite why, only they can say and, thus far, they've been rather coy about it. :(

nikkinoodles

Did Godaddy change something recently? Because we've had them forever and I've done the large upgrades before without issues. Godaddy says it's not their problem, we've talked to them several times. They keep blaming it on filezilla. ???

Ninja ZX-10RR

Unfortunately this section of the forum is full of people having these kind of issues, and they all have their forums on GoDaddy... The only solution that was found so far is to bug them, I mean, seriously bug them, until you find a good guy from their support team who disables the mod_security on your server or does who-knows-which magic trick to get it back to work, as they don't tell you what they do even when they are successful..
Btw you can upload files through FileZilla but you might want to try different programs, there are many.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

Use their file manager to upload the file. If it disappears, well, there isn't anyone to blame :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

A hunchette...

With Filezilla, got to the "Transfer" menu, select "Transfer type" and make sure that's set to "binary". The default "auto" setting breaks stuff...

Kindred

That won't matter k@... it only matters for image files that have the extension removed.

php files should actually be transferred in ascii mod anyway, since they are just text....

nikkinoodles,

As margarett suggests, use the goDaddy file manager and see if that works.
most of the time, mod_security will choke on subs-post.php -- I have never seen to choke on subs.php before
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

We've had this conversation, before, Kindy. I've known Filezilla break other files, too, not just GFX ones.

Kindred

yes... but ASCII is actually the correct type to upload php files!

Filezilla only screws up on files which it tires to ASSUME the type.   If the file type is defined in filezillas protocol list, then it works fine.
Слaва
Украинi

kat

I've even known it to break those, at times. Not for a few versions, I'll grant you. But...

Arantor

ASCII is not the correct type for all SMF PHP files. It will damage at least two files.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Isn't it enough? You all said it multiple times not to use that function anyway.
Using FileZilla with Binary function should work as I have been using it for months and never had a single error. I assume that any errors regarding it are caused by something wrong with the host...

After all this Filezilla stuff I just wait for the asker to post again in case he successfully managed to find a good guy from the GoDaddy support team (what they call "level 3 support" or whatever that is...) and got his problem fixed.
:)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

hmmm.... interesting. Why though?  php=text, yes?
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Yes, but ASCII carries certain... assumptions... about the text, namely that it is 7 bit safe. There are parts of Subs.php and Subs-Charset.php that are not 7 bit safe and can be damaged as a result.

nikkinoodles

Sorry I've been at work. I will hopefully try and get to call them tonight when I'm off. I do truly appreciate your advice!

JBlaze

The issue with GoDaddy, mainly, is that their server security rules like to delete files such as Subs-Post.php. I'm interested in seeing what they have to say this time around.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: JBlaze on August 07, 2014, 05:28:38 PM
The issue with GoDaddy, mainly, is that their server security rules like to delete files such as Subs-Post.php. I'm interested in seeing what they have to say this time around.
More or less they will say the same thing... That is something on SMF side, that is totally false, and that they also tried to contact SimpleMachines, again false as stated by Kindred himself in another post...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

nikkinoodles

Sorry for the last response. We moved the site over to a cpanel account and now we have no site, it's saying there's an internal error. My dad moved everything over to them. Any clue as to how to get it to work??? I tried loading the repair settings and it still wont take me anywhere.

kat

Quote from: nikkinoodles on August 11, 2014, 01:57:22 PMI tried loading the repair settings and it still wont take me anywhere.

What do you mean, by that, exactly? Repair_settings won't load?

When did you move everything over? Don't forget, DNS stuff can take a while to propagate...

Kindred

Internal error sounds like a 500 error -- which is a server-side issue.

I suggest that you check with your host - there can be many causes of a 500 error, including bad chmod permissions - your host should be able to indicate what the actual trigger is...
Слaва
Украинi

nikkinoodles

I gave them a call. They were able to fix the 500 error. Now the site is back up and running! Now it's time to make it look like it used to. I want to thank you guys for helping me through this, I am glad you guys suggested to find the problem and fix it rather than a new site. We went to a new hosting company instead and they were able to fix it. No more godaddy for us.

Thank you again!

kat

Loads of grief! Glad you got there, in the end, Nik!

Gotta lurve SlowDaddy... ;)

nikkinoodles

Glad I did too  ;D. Looks good to see it back up!

Advertisement: