Question about Google indexing wap2 links

Started by Tomcraft, June 15, 2014, 09:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcraft

Hi,

Google is indexing all wap2 links in our forums and presenting them in the search results.

I found the following solutions:

I'm not quite sure which one is the best solution. Can someone please help me out?

Regards, Torsten

Kindred

1- should not be happening in 2.0.x

2- you can always add wap to the robots.txt
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tomcraft

What exactly do you mean with:

Quote from: Kindred on June 15, 2014, 09:10:23 PM
1- should not be happening in w.0.x
[...]

Is it a problem with my custom theme?

Regards, Torsten

Kindred

mistype...   2.0.x

it could be a problem with your custom theme...   if the pages are not documented as "cacnonical", then google will indeed crawl all variations of the page as separate pages
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tomcraft

Alle the pages have the canonical tag included. :'(
Any other ideas?

Regards, Torsten

Kindred

Then google is, improperly, cataloging pages outside of the canonical
Слaва
Украинi

Tomcraft

This might be because we also have the "WAP2" link in our footer as it is here in the forum.
When looking at the page source of your "WAP2" links, there is also no "canonical" tag.
How come that Google doesn't index your "WAP2" links? ???

Regards, Torsten

Kindred

well, you can always add the wap2 argument URLs to robots.txt (but it shouldn't be necessary)
Слaва
Украинi

Tomcraft

But what is necessary to permit Goole from indexing these WAP2 links in our forums without the "robots.txt" file? ???

Regards, Torsten

Kindred

If Google is indexing them, then adding it to robots.txt would be the best and most efficient way to prevent it...
Слaва
Украинi

Tomcraft

Ok thank you for the quick reply!

Regards, Torsten

Advertisement: