News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF & Wordpress

Started by dopeitspaul, August 10, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

why don't you just request that plugin to be rebuilt for SMF?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

colby2152

Quote from: Kindred on November 11, 2014, 10:19:42 AM
why don't you just request that plugin to be rebuilt for SMF?

That may happen actually.
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Frantix

Thanks for the SMF2WP plugin, I've looked at a few but don't remember that one (with the 3.x + 2.x or confirmed that 4.x is working), however, my notes are at home.  There are quite a few dead ones.  All I care about is bridging the ID & password hash, so if it's only creating a separate table for those, I'll try it.  Unless major structural changes to the database on key tables occur, something that bridges the id/password won't matter much.  It would be insane if those changes are occurring, far too many opportunities for failure if user tables are being structurally changed.  Even Oldiesmann has the G2 bridge/full integration.

Kindred is always happy with an awesome attitude towards anything not SMF, always making it a warm and inviting atmosphere for everyone.
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive. -Andy Grove

Kindred

actually, with 2.1, there are some things changing - including the password hash.

and, whatever you think about my attitude, I think that you are mistaken -  I am not opposed to other things... I use WordPress myself on a few sites.   I just don't see the need to bridge things that don't need to be bridged. It over complicates systems and leads to eventual problems which could have been avoided.

Use the right system for the job in the first place. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I have used WP on sites, but I am at the stage where it actually ends up being better for me to build a blog out of SMF than it does to try to optimise WP to be performant...

Frantix

Quote from: Kindred on November 12, 2014, 11:37:58 AM
actually, with 2.1, there are some things changing - including the password hash.

and, whatever you think about my attitude, I think that you are mistaken -  I am not opposed to other things... I use WordPress myself on a few sites.   I just don't see the need to bridge things that don't need to be bridged. It over complicates systems and leads to eventual problems which could have been avoided.

Use the right system for the job in the first place. :)

In no way was it a personal attack, hopefully you didn't take it as such. I have just followed a lot of these types of conversations and it seems your position has been secured in carbonite. :)  I was doing some searches for 2.1 info and not finding an actual feature list/update.  I found the 2.1 Comments board and GitHub but not a specific 2.0 vs. 2.1 features or just 2.1 features.
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive. -Andy Grove

Kindred

That is correct. Such an official list has not been published yet
Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

Quote from: Kindred on November 12, 2014, 06:29:58 PM
That is correct. Such an official list has not been published yet
Will there be one soon? (I can't help myself, I am curious)  8)

Kindred

It will be published as soon as it is ready -- just like the release.
Слaва
Украинi

diontoradan

check out my site : www.ravelex.net

the blog / articles is taken from smf posts, done with a bit knowledge of php and mysql.

Arthran

So just to throw my 2pence into the discussion. I'm trying to integrate WP and SMF. The primary reason is that my site is built this way

devgaming.  net - Main WP install with Multisite turned on
%user%.devgaming.  net - certain writers are given their own subdomain using the multisite, allowing their own articles to be separated
wow.devgaming.  net - A sub-community on the site, with their own area and forum

So you can see the site is kinda complicated as it is with multiple subdomains caused by wordpress multisite/network. I need multiple forums, one on the main site for the community forums, and one for the sub-community page. At the moment I've been using bbpress for this but it's unweildly, slow and doesn't work like a real forum does.

So a User bridge between SMF and WP would allow me to at worst have a couple of SMF installs that get their users from WP and I use WP as the central user system. FAR from ideal but unless SMF can do something similar I cant see a better way.

Arth

Kindred

well, with the split forum mod, you would not actually need multiple installations of SMF either...

However, that still does require a bridge between SMF and wordPress...   and, unless someone else steps up or finds a dev to do the work for them, I don't see that happening any time soon...

Now...   as for "can SMF do something similar"?
Actually - yes...   with the split forum mod - you can set up various boards to appear, using specific subdomains - and then grant the authors full MODerator rights within those specific boards.

hence - no wordpress.

SMF at root and various subdomains - with split forum mod
board 1, 2 and 6 display on the root domain
board 3 displays on author1.domain
board 4 and 5 display on author2.domain

Install a portal mod to accomplish a similar layout to the standard WordPress column design.

Advtantage?   SMF has a MUCH more robust security and permissions system than WP.
Слaва
Украинi

Arthran

See, After posting that and whilst having lunch I thought about that. SMF on root domain with a portal mod, then use a domain mapping mod for multiple forums on subdomains. The key question is finding a suitable portal that would work with the domain mapping allowing each subdomain to have its own SMF portal, as long as thats possible than boom, problem solved

Kindred

hmmm.....    I don't know about "each domain" having its own sub-portal....

THAT may be complicated.

I believe that the split forum mod works pretty well with the SimplePortal.
and I know that the subforums mod (by feline) works well with PortaMX and PMXBlog (since they are all written by feline)

I'd suggest checking with the authors of the two subdomain mods to see if the portal blocks can be displayed per subdomain -- the confirm if specific membergoups can be given access to edit specific blocks
Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

It does seem to work well with EZportal as well. I have made a few test and it was working. I should test it more thoroughly soon.

charpress

Let me add my two cents here as someone who uses WordPress and SMF for totally different sites and wishes there was a way to have the best of both. Here's the dead-end problem I'm experiencing right now with WordPress:

I have a highly SEO rated site that is totally WordPress. For the past three years, I have been using the BBpress plugin for the forum part of the site. It has 265,000 registered members. The problem? 260,000 of those members are basically spammers. They, together with all their metadata, take up about a gigabyte of database space. These are all people that went through the registration process with captcha, and replied to the email authentication just to get a chance to comment spam, signature line spam, or whatever. They haven't been able to do that on any large scale, but here's the big problem:

My site is kind of dead in the water. There is some database error that I can't resolve that has screwed up the WordPress visual editor. I can no longer post any blogs, pages or posts. The widget areas no longer works. I can't even edit or change a post date. All of this is because the database is so huge that it just has become dysfunctional. It is so bad, I can't even back up or move the database to work on because the host times out way before anything can be done.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Since the existing forum (BBPress) is tied to all users, metadata, and actually creates a WordPress page for each thread, I'm guessing I'm totally screwed.

My point for posting in this thread: if your going to have a sizable forum, don't even consider kludging a forum into the WordPress structure. You will be sorry at some point if you end up with anything close to a successful following. You will be spammed and re-spammed and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. If it doesn't work with the WordPress designers own forum plugin -BBpress, then how can you expect any other solution to work?

Probably the only thing I can do at this point is start over. I doubt if there is any way to transfer my BBpress forum to SMF. The WordPress/BBpress method of creating a WordPress page for each post is very, very problematic.

All I really want to do anyway is perhaps have a frame in WordPress that displays the last 10 forum post titles from a SMF forum in a WordPress sidebar. Any thoughts there anyone? Anyway, I hope my experience with a large forum within WordPress will make some users think twice about taking that route.

Bruce the Shark

So let me get this right....hmmm so, you want to transfer all of your database thats full of spam in a SMF
Have i read this right?
Why would you want to transfer all that spam over to here.
Dude just suck it up and start all over again.

TonyG

Wow, this discussion is a lot like the one I started here.

So @charpress, you have a bug you can't resolve and you're convinced the entire platform is bad? I know a lot of people who get new PCs when the one they have starts to run slow. These folks are certainly not developers. I have a leak in my roof but I'm not going to blame the neighborhood I live in and go buy another house elsewhere. Changing the environment isn't the solution to a bug, database corruption, or leaky roof. Someone needs to work through the issue and fix it.

As to the OP request, I've been looking for a way to skin SMF and WP in similar ways for years. The best option I've considered is refitting the CSS with LESS or SASS and then getting all environments to use a common base of definitions. I haven't had time to complete such an endeavor but I might give it a shot with my latest projects.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: TonyG on December 25, 2014, 09:38:44 PM
As to the OP request, I've been looking for a way to skin SMF and WP in similar ways for years. The best option I've considered is refitting the CSS with LESS or SASS and then getting all environments to use a common base of definitions. I haven't had time to complete such an endeavor but I might give it a shot with my latest projects.
In all that time couldn't you just have made a theme for one of them that is the same as the other? :P
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

TonyG

Quote from: Fortytwo on December 26, 2014, 02:22:07 AMIn all that time couldn't you just have made a theme for one of them that is the same as the other? :P
You might not ask that if you've ever created a theme for both sides. :) Seriously though, they're not compatible because the CSS classes and IDs are all different. For example, the DIV ID "header" might be common to different environments, but under that SMF has ID "top_section" and a class "forumtitle". There's also an "upper_section", class "user", "main_menu", etc. In other FOSS there may or may not be the same concepts but the names aren't the same. So getting two themes from two FOSS applications to agree is a huge challenge. Now, as we see, themes tend to change from one app release to another, so after that huge effort to get a single theme compatible between two environments, the theme author is likely to change it, or new Responsive / mobile-friendly themes are likely to emerge. So this whole effort is just a temporary fix that's too time consuming to endure.

[rant]
I think the real solution is better collaboration amongst a number of the popular FOSS leaders. I know there have been a couple initiatives like this but they never seem to work out - usually because everyone just likes to do things Their way, and playing nice with the rest of the world just isn't high on the priority list. What's funny is that this is Exactly one of the reasons why the world revolted against big software from big companies. This is the big gripe against Microsoft versus FireFox versus Chrome. This is the whole Cathedral versus Bazaar thing, shrunk down to a thousand individual apps with tiny groups of people empowered to play the same game as the big guys. But in the end it's just a game and now we're stuck with thousands of incompatible bits of software rather than the few that prompted the original revolts for FOSS. Humans are funny like that. Oh well. Maybe some day...
[/]

Advertisement: