News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF & Wordpress

Started by dopeitspaul, August 10, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dopeitspaul

Hey everyone I'm very new to the whole integration and bridging thing. So the question I might ask is probably stupid.

But I plan on using Wordpress as my blog and SMF as the forum.
I been working on my theme for SMF, and once I'm done I want my wordpress to match with my forum. For example, I want them to have the same frame width, same footer, and same, header.

Here's a good example of a Wordpress x Smf
http://segabits.com/

Here's what my forum looks like

Note: the navbar is not part of the header, but I can try to move it in the header section if needed.

As you can see, the red box I marked, is what I want displayed when I'm on the wordpress. And the purple box i marked, is how I want the width to be on the blog. And same goes with the footer. So basically in the main context of the frame is where I want the blog.

Can someone tell me how can this be done? Thanks

Chen Zhen

Wordpress & SMF globals conflict (so I have read) although atm I have come up with one possible solution for you.
Set up Simple Portal's standalone option in your main Wordpress directory.
ref. http://simpleportal.net/index.php?action=docs;area=set_up_standalone_portal
Then you can work PHP block(s) in the middle (vertically) to scrape the Wordpress index.php via DOM and container id's.
I've never really worked with Wordpress and would have to mess around with it.

The standalone file has to be index.php though. You'd have to put SP's code within a function contained/combined in the Wordpress index.php and have it tripped if ie. a certain value isn't met in the url via $_REQUEST else continue with the Wordpress code. That would enable you to scrape it with the block codes using the same url with an added value (ie. ../index.php?wordpress=1;) anyhow. 

Atm that's all guess work.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Kindred

even that won't work nicely....

in general, there is no good way to do what you are asking....

So, the question becomes -- what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
If you are just using wordpress to essentially make articles, published by only yourself... and the forum for community discussions...   then a portal mod like SimplePortal, EZPortal, PortaMX or TinyPortal with the articles section in use would seem a better choice.

Then everything is handled from within the forum software and you don't have to mess with combining two separate themes and softwares
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dopeitspaul

You think theres a way I could call in wordpress's index.php file into a simple portal block?

Kindred

In a word... No

And you still have not answered my question.   
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dopeitspaul

Here's what I'm trying to do,

I want smf and a wordpress blog to match. I was trying to see if there's a way they can have the same header with a menu. The same context body width, and the same background. I'm new to all this, so I'm assuming this is integration or bridging? I'm not exactly sure sorry.

This is the best example site I can find

Here's the wordpress blog:
http://segabits.com/

And here's their SMF forum:
http://segabits.com/forums/

Notice that they have the same header, background, and context width.

Pardon my last post. But would it work the other way? Call in the SMF index, and put it in a wordpress page?

If not, can you describe how http://segabits.com did it? Like, by just looking at their site, do you know the solution they used? Thanks

internets

I am a WP Lover, so surely watch this thread.

Kindred

Personally,I would say why bother?

Everything done in a Wordpress blog can be done within smf with a mod...

If you already had an established Wordpress blog, it might make sense... But if this is a new site, it really doesn't make sense to link the two...  Because it is very difficult to even begin to do so..
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Did you patch for the latest vulnerability (last week)? (Incidentally, despite SMF making heavy use of XML files, it's totally immune, and has *always* been immune to that entire class of vulnerabilities.)

GB_Techie

We've been using SMF since the yabbse days.  We have a separate standalone content website that accompanies it.  The content site contains a directory and and an events calendar with listings that can recur weekly, monthly, last monday of the month etc. 

I'd like to bring the two sites together so that users who log in only have to log in once.

I didn't think that SMF could do all of the things that we currently do on our content site, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.  Using one system would be much easier.  If I can't find a way to bridge the two then I will have to find another forum that does work with Wordpress which does not make me happy.  My users won't be impressed, but it's become impractical to manage the two separately.
THE Lesbian guide - www.gingerbeer.co.uk

handy1

Quote from: Kindred on August 13, 2014, 06:28:42 PM
Personally,I would say why bother?

Everything done in a Wordpress blog can be done within smf with a mod...

If you already had an established Wordpress blog, it might make sense... But if this is a new site, it really doesn't make sense to link the two...  Because it is very difficult to even begin to do so..

Dear Kindred,

I have googled all kind bridges a few days now and every fu**ing topics you have posted same answer "why to use wp, you can do everything same on smf". Why you do this? Maybe you believe that wp is just a blog platform, but I can say that you can do a lot more than just blogging articles. Wordpress is leading cms to website developers and wp's SEO is the best what you can get.

Because you say that everything is possible to do in smf, I would like to give one job for you.

http://wp.modulout.com/

Get this plugin works on smf  ;)

Arantor

What does it do, exactly? I don't get what the site is trying to say (like 96% of WP sites I see, very pretty, no substance)

By comparison I give you a site I built: http://crossingoverland.com... that's SMF with a custom portal and a WP theme I made work on SMF. So before you proceed to lecture on our 'attitude', remember that *literally anything* can be done on SMF. And likely work more efficiently and more securely than WP.

Hell, I once wrote a crude accounting system built on top of SMF, in 4 hours flat.

handy1

Quote from: Arantor on November 07, 2014, 02:40:59 AM
What does it do, exactly? I don't get what the site is trying to say (like 96% of WP sites I see, very pretty, no substance)

By comparison I give you a site I built: http://crossingoverland.com... that's SMF with a custom portal and a WP theme I made work on SMF. So before you proceed to lecture on our 'attitude', remember that *literally anything* can be done on SMF. And likely work more efficiently and more securely than WP.

Hell, I once wrote a crude accounting system built on top of SMF, in 4 hours flat.

It's very good betting script. Scroll down a little bit and click users, events..
Just one reason why to use wordpress.

PS: Your site looks good, but now we need something more than just cool design and content.

Arantor

Is *THAT* what it is? OK...

The only reason it isn't a thing on SMF is because no-one has ever been that bothered to build it. It's quite doable with sufficient time, energy and skill - you'll notice the same reason no-one ever built and maintained a WP/SMF bridge.

In any case building a bridge is going to be a terrible fugly mess because getting WP themes and SMF themes to play nicely together... yeah, that ain't happening any time soon.

handy1

Quote from: Arantor on November 07, 2014, 04:42:47 AM
Is *THAT* what it is? OK...

The only reason it isn't a thing on SMF is because no-one has ever been that bothered to build it. It's quite doable with sufficient time, energy and skill - you'll notice the same reason no-one ever built and maintained a WP/SMF bridge.

In any case building a bridge is going to be a terrible fugly mess because getting WP themes and SMF themes to play nicely together... yeah, that ain't happening any time soon.

Actually smf2wp mod (wp plugin) works with newest smf version and wp4.0. I made few tests an hour ago and dual logins and registerations works perfect. Tested only for fresh installations, not with modifications. Have to figure out how to get old smf users to wp, maybe with new plugin.

Arantor

Yes - until WP changes things and it will need to be seriously overhauled for SMF 2.1 as well... and that's even before getting into any incompatibilities with any modifications/plugins on either side...

colby2152

I had to install WP to handle a special plugin that I want to use for my site.  I only care to use WP to access this plugin.  I am only interested in a bridge between members (those must register via SMF and then WP recognizes it).  Any thoughts?
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

radu81

It's usefull for you all, but there are a lot of similar requests here :)

I started with smf just because back in 2007 it was the only forum I could integrate with Joomla. I don't use Joomla anymore but people love using a CMS. Think about it
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

I'd rather build a CMS for SMF than frankenstein a CMS onto it.

colby2152

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 09:19:07 AM
I'd rather build a CMS for SMF than frankenstein a CMS onto it.

I agree.  My only need for WordPress is a specific plugin that it used on the platform.
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Advertisement: