News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Say Thanks

Started by kelvincool, August 30, 2014, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelvincool

Yes this mod can replace Thank-o-matic, no reported issues with large numbers of users using it.

Yes it is possible to import Thank-o-matic data, see Ninja ZX-10RR's link and you will find the post where another user asked for the same thing.

No it is not possible to thank on user action at the moment.

badon

It is currently difficult to find the posts that a user has been thanked-for. If a user can easily see which of their posts were thanked, and by who, it would encourage their participation on a forum. I've attached a series of 4 screenshots that illustrate exactly how to find that information. Note that there is nothing in the 1st and 2nd steps that tell a user they are navigating to see their thanked posts. In my own case, I found it by accident after giving up on trying to find it. I assumed it was not a feature of this mod, and I was preparing to request the feature.

Now that I know the feature is already there, it just needs to be easier to find. I suggest linking the "Thanked: 6 times" text in step #1 of my example, so it leads directly to the page shown in step #4. In the example, the URL format looks like this:

https://forum.coincompendium.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=thanked;u=1

So, only the user number in "u=1" would need to dynamically added to generate the link for the correct profile. I'm not sure exactly how to get that info, but I suspect it would be pretty easy to add this feature, since I assume you already grab the user number to use for other purposes in this mod. The only remaining thing to do is linkify the text with a scrap of HTML.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

kelvincool

Thanks badon for that great suggestion, available in 1.3.6 now.

badon

I don't get a red upgrade indicator in the package manager. It just shows green for version 1.3.5. Any guess why that might be? When I try to install it over top of the original, it errors-out on its own previous changes.

kelvincool

I have no idea why the red upgrade indicator is not shown. Everything is marked correctly in the package-info and on the mod page. As for installing the new version, just uninstall the old one first and install the new one.

badon

I just checked the package manager and now I have the red indicator for Say Thanks. I have no idea what changed. Maybe it was the attempt to install it that resulted in it being downloaded and SMF's version tracking information being updated. That would be a bug in SMF of some kind, probably...assuming it's not a problem with my config, of course.

About the new version, it now has the link, but it could use a style that makes it clear it's a link, like an underline, but that's trivial. As it is, it's a big improvement that ought to be effective in encouraging participation. Thank you very much!

xxxbusinessc55

kelvincool

Regarding the underline link style, that is completely dependent on the theme you are using. It wouldn't make any sense to force the style in the mod.

badon

Quote from: kelvincool on August 31, 2016, 06:28:03 PM
Regarding the underline link style, that is completely dependent on the theme you are using. It wouldn't make any sense to force the style in the mod.

I didn't realize that. I agree, you're right, it shouldn't be tampered-with in the mod. I can change it in the theme instead, that should be trivial to customize manually if I decide it has to be done.

badon

I have another feature idea for you. Now that we can see all the most recently thanked posts on a specific user's profile, I would like to see all the most recently thanked posts on the entire forum. It would be helpful to surface "hot topics" that aren't actually getting any replies, but they ARE getting a lot of thanks. The recent posts in the "Info Center" on the forum index is helpful for showing posting activity and moved topics, but much of that is noise, and better quality posts that are more popular could be found if recent thanks activity were shown too.

I think it would make sense to sort the posts by thanking date/time, but I don't know if the thanks time information is recorded by the Say Thanks mod. If not, then maybe it's not possible to add this feature until after thanking time data is collected.

A post could be sorted by date/time exactly the same way as it is done in the Recent Posts section in the Info Center, but after that, they can be sorted by the number of thanks they have. So, older posts that would normally drop off of the Recent Posts lists would be retained if they have enough thanks to remain in the "Recent Thanks" list.

For example, if there are 100 posts displayed in the "Recent Posts" section, the top 10 of them could displayed in the "Recent Thanks" section, sorted by the number of thanks they have received. That would invite more thanking activity for the best posts too, which would serve to reinforce the surfacing of the best posts at the top of the "Recent Thanks" section.

I'm not sure what the behavior should be if the "Recent Thanks" section is configured to show more posts than have actually been thanked recently. Is it difficult to grab some more older posts that wouldn't ordinarily show up in the "Recent Posts" section because they're too old? That would require the mod to query the database on its own, in addition to the normal database queries, which would impact performance. Maybe that could be configurable in a "Fill Recent Thanks with older posts" option, so it could be turned off if minimizing database queries is necessary for performance. Then, the "Recent Thanks" section might be empty sometimes if nothing in the "Recent Posts" has been thanked before they drop off the list.

I'm not sure how much work is involved in implementing this feature idea, but it's definitely much more work than simply linking the profile thanks count. However, I think the effort-to-benefit ratio might be just as good or better in terms of getting active registered users to participate by using the Say Thanks features, AND making those "thanks" useful to everyone who reads the forum, including guests, by surfacing posts that have them.

For now, the actively-posting users are the only ones that derive benefits from the Say Thanks mod. Since they can now easily see every post that has been thanked, they are getting more frequent feedback that encourages them to make similarly popular posts. Surfacing those posts for everyone would probably complete the fundamentally important feature set of the Say Thanks mod (the features that give the most benefits - the low hanging fruit).

kelvincool

That idea is certainly something I've been considering, like you said it's not a simple feature to implement and will take time.

aodio

Can you see the "say thanks" button when you're in Admin mode?

kelvincool

Quote from: aodio on November 02, 2016, 08:20:29 PM

What do you mean by Admin mode? Do you mean when you're logged in as admin? If so yes you canh still see Say Thanks button as it's available to everyone except guests.

aodio

Quote from: kelvincool on November 03, 2016, 04:21:00 PM
Quote from: aodio on November 02, 2016, 08:20:29 PM

What do you mean by Admin mode? Do you mean when you're logged in as admin? If so yes you canh still see Say Thanks button as it's available to everyone except guests.

All good ..works brilliantly now... forgot to tick apply to all themes at the bottom before install... cheers  ;)

verano23

Does this work with version 2.011 ?

kelvincool

kelvincool

Quote from: aodio on November 06, 2016, 06:42:44 AM
Can't seem to find where to change the colour of the "total likes" font in member states side bar

Any ideas?

cheers

That doesn't look like it's from Say Thanks mod? Unless you've customised the text? In any case the easiest way to resolve it is to add in some extra css into your theme's css file. It's probably that colour because it's a visited link.

kelvincool

This is definitely not from Say Thanks mod, it looks like it's from Like Posts so you want to post here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=506743.0

aodio

Oh Bugga!.. you are right ..lol

Sorry mate

jm_araujo

Great work! Just added this to my forum and works great.

I've added a translation to Portuguese (ANSI and UTF-8) to 'languages.xml', find it attached.

Advertisement: