News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Add/Edit Menus in 2.0.8

Started by lewism, September 03, 2014, 09:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mashby

I can understand the hesitation for installing mods. However, how many sites out there are running SMF without any mods at all? This site sure has some. But let's say a mod changes all of the letters As into letter Bs. I don't know who would ever write or install such a thing, but stick with it. If the mod author abandoned it, would that mean I would uninstall it? I doubt it. I only have a few mods install on my 2.0.x site and I haven't even looked to see if the mods are abandoned/supported because they all work.

When 2.1 comes out, that's when I have to look at mods and their compatibility with 2.1 to determine if I even upgrade to 2.1 or just stay on 2.0.x. I did the same thing for years on 1.1.x. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

lewism

No hesitation at all. Sometimes, a mod makes sense but for most long term things, I tend to gravitate away from mods for the reasons I've said. In my experience, and I've been at this for a very long time, I have found that it's not worth using mods and that most mods are simply an automated means of editing something or other which a real admin should be able to do manually. Counting on author to keep your production site up is not a great idea unless you are very picky about the mods you pick.

All of that said, I'm not talking only about SMF here, I'm talking about everything along these lines, WP, Joomla, etc etc.

Anyhow, this is a personal choice :)

Arantor

lewism

OLD topic I know but... when making changes to the php code, I assume those are written over when an update is installed?
Just want to confirm.

Running 2.0.9

Thanks.

margarett

It depends :P

If you update via patch (eg: 2.0.8 --> 2.0.9), those changes are kept in place, as the patch is pretty much a MOD that only changes the affected code.
If you do a large upgrade then yes, your changes are lost as the whole file is replaced.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: