News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Changes don't apply to forums

Started by ColdXX, September 06, 2014, 04:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColdXX

Hello everyone!

I'll get straight to the point.
I am trying to change forums' width and i've also tried changing some stuff here and there but there is a problem.
Changes don't happen. They do in the preview mode (as i was working in index.css) but when i save it seems that everything that i worked on just got lost.
The script itself is getting saved when i press the "Save" button. But that's all!
Any ideeas why that occurs?

kat

Cache? Either your browser's or the forum's?

The forum one's cleared in the Forum Maintenance section of Admin,

ColdXX

Quote from: K@ on September 06, 2014, 05:00:48 PM
Cache? Either your browser's or the forum's?

The forum one's cleared in the Forum Maintenance section of Admin,
I've cleared the Cache and i've tried a different browser aswell.
It doesnt apply changes for everyone using the forums.

Herman's Mixen

some mods does require some changes to the file Settings.php ..., that file need at that time chmodded to 666 when your done with the settings you put the file back to chmod 644
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Kindred

how are you editing the css files?   Are you using FTP to upload a changed file? Are you using your host's file manager? Are you using the internal "edit template" function in SMF?

If you are using the internal function...  I suspect that is your problem, as the chmod file permissions are probably incorrect and won't let you save the file - so the changes never get actually applied.

Final other thought --   in addition to the local browser cache, CSS files and other template files are cached on the forum side of things as well.... clear the cache files from the cache directory

and no... herman...  no.   No mod should EVER require a change to Settings.php.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ColdXX

I am using the internal edit template function,any fixing to this? Should i use FTP to upload the changed file or..?

Kindred

yes...  editing files inline like that, while sometime convenient (hence the fact that it is there) should only ever be used as a last resort when you CAN'T do the edits another way.

change the file and FTP is the correct way to do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ColdXX

Quote from: Kindred on September 06, 2014, 05:15:49 PM
yes...  editing files inline like that, while sometime convenient (hence the fact that it is there) should only ever be used as a last resort when you CAN'T do the edits another way.

change the file and FTP is the correct way to do it.
I highly appreciate the support!

ColdXX

I've done what you guys suggested,to use FTP account to upload the file i edited.
Guess what...that didn't change anything either.
And apparently for some users the forum width is too big and for some it didnt change a bit.

Any ideeas?

Kindred

1- confirm that the file was actually uploaded and was not rejected for permissions problems.

2- if SOME see the change and others do not, then it is a caching issue on THEIR side of things.
Слaва
Украинi

ColdXX

The thing is that their forum width doesn't change when i try to lower it,it stays like that forever...won't change at all. And yes,the file gets uploaded.

Kindred

I am not trying to be a jerk...   but how do you KNOW the file gets uploaded?   have you confirmed that the timestamp on the file or the filesize is changed?

and if they are seeing one change, but not the next change - then it is DEFINITELY a cache issue
Слaва
Украинi

ColdXX

It never applied any changes to the forum.
I've been only trying to increase its width!

Kindred

ah.   well, forum width can be complicated - especially in 1.1.x, since everything is inside tables.

what is your forum url?
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

indeed you do (and this is in the 2.0.x area. excuse my brief confusion. :)

So, looking at your site - I see the potential problem.

How did you change the forum width?

in the the CSS
for body, I see min-width: 750px
then, in .wrapper, I see width:850px

I suspect there may be more...   but, since you have prevented guests from even viewing, I can't tell.
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Just curious... Have you tried the easy way?

Admin> Configuration>Themes and Layout>Theme Settings.

On that page, click on the theme's name and, on the new page, in the first section, you'll see "Forum width:". Have you tried changing that?

ColdXX

Quote from: Kindred on September 08, 2014, 09:51:14 AM
indeed you do (and this is in the 2.0.x area. excuse my brief confusion. :)

So, looking at your site - I see the potential problem.

How did you change the forum width?

in the the CSS
for body, I see min-width: 750px
then, in .wrapper, I see width:850px

I suspect there may be more...   but, since you have prevented guests from even viewing, I can't tell.

Wait what? How is that possible?
The there is a conflict that messes up things?
You can visit forums now as guest.

kat

Forum looks wide enough, for me. Any wider and it'd be off the page. I can only see the info center (sic), though.

I'm using 1024x768 screen res.

ColdXX

Quote from: K@ on September 08, 2014, 10:07:14 AM
Forum looks wide enough, for me. Any wider and it'd be off the page. I can only see the info center (sic), though.

I'm using 1024x768 screen res.

http://gyazo.com/7ac3abd16d24f8c868f808cd77ae2f8a

How i see it. My friend sees it the same like you do.

Advertisement: