News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Which version of PHP is SMF on?

Started by cxk, September 24, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cxk

I got an email from my host saying they would no longer be supporting PHP 5.2 (which they say I'm using on one or more of my domains). They say PHP 5.5 is the current version, what version is SMF 2.0.8. running? I can't figure out if I'm in the clear or not.

Arantor

SMF 2.0.8 should generally work fine on PHP 5.5, however if you're not using UTF-8 there may be some side effects if you're using certain languages.

Ninja ZX-10RR

This explains it way better than I could: http://download.simplemachines.org/requirements.php ;)
EDIT. Ninja'd, yes the conclusion is that anyway.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

SMF 2.0.7 and lower will malfunction in various ways on PHP 5.5. Even 2.0.8 isn't flawless depending on a variety of factors involving language and encoding.

It's hardly a conclusion, sadly :(

Ninja ZX-10RR

I can even choose among versions on my host... xD but it should work :) and yes utf-8 is highly recommended ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

richwig83

Is there any real life benefit from upgrading to 5.5? We are on ~5.1 i think. (recently upgraded from v1.1.19 to v2.0.8)

Arantor

PHP 5.2 and below are unmaintained by the PHP team and may have security issues.

PHP 5.3 is in maintenance only, and 5.4+ are recommended. 5.5 especially has some interesting and useful internal changes that are worth accommodating.

Advertisement: