facebook like private message(conversation)

Started by Osaugue, September 26, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osaugue

I would love this feature instead of the normal pm system where if a user sends me multiple messages i see his name on the pm page multiple times, i would rather welcome single name but all messages the user sent will be visible when i click on his name, just like facebook ;D

Kindred

Well, smf already has a conversation mode in PMs....

But having it automatically do that based on the user? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax and would require recoding significant portions...    For very little return, IMO.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Osaugue

Quote from: Kindred on September 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
Well, smf already has a conversation mode in PMs....

But having it automatically do that based on the user? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax and would require recoding significant portions...    For very little return, IMO.
:( i can't call the inbuilt one on smf CONVERSATION :(

Antechinus

Eh? Do you mean you can't find the setting for it?

Kindred

What else would you call it, when all messages in the conversation stream are saved and displayed in the same stream?

Mind you, you do have to set it to conversation mode (in 2.0...  I. 2.1, it's on by default)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Osaugue

Arantor

QuoteMind you, you do have to set it to conversation mode (in 2.0...  I. 2.1, it's on by default)

Is it?

I know in 2.0 it not only isn't by default but you can't even configure it, which is why the PM Settings mod came to be a thing in the first place (which will let you configure it and reset everyone else's to that)

Kindred

I think it is...

save sent messages and view as conversation...

I THINK is set ON in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Save sent messages is permanently on in 2.1 - I know that because I did that one myself. View as conversation, though, I don't remember changing.

I just checked registerMember which would be the ideal place to do it, but I don't see that changed in 2.1.

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2014, 03:43:06 PM
I think it is...

save sent messages and view as conversation...

I THINK is set ON in 2.1

there is no admin option to view as conversation in 2.1 or at least the admin search does not find it.

Arantor

Kindred

I was not thinking of an admin option, Illori...   I was thinking we had it turned on for all new users.   Arantor suggests that is nOt so, though (which is possible)
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

then i read what you said wrong. either way it may not be a bad feature to see in the future.

Arantor

I'd be completely OK with forcing it to be the default for new users ;)

Again, PM settings mod exists for a reason.

Antechinus

The reason being that it should be a core feature? ;)

Seriously, conversation mode should be default. It's one of 2.0.x's best features.

Arantor

The reason being that it's practically a ready-to-go implementation to let admins customise it and allow for setting it and resetting it as necessary (something not possible in 2.0 or 2.1 otherwise) ;)

Antechinus

Here's a radical notion: ditch the other modes and only have conversation. Nice clean codebase (relatively speaking).

Arantor

Good luck with pruning the codebase to do that. I'd rather rip the whole thing out and build a clean one from scratch than try to do that.

live627

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 05:41:44 PM
Here's a radical notion: ditch the other modes and only have conversation. Nice clean codebase (relatively speaking).
Might as well build it off the topics structure then.

Antechinus

Worth thinking about for whatever comes after 2.1. How many people use anything other than conversation mode?

Arantor

@live627: I'm not averse to it being similar to topics. I even explained at length the pros and cons to this and why I firmly and adamantly believe in doing it that way. I just wouldn't do it *actually* off the topics table because that actually sucks so badly in practice (yay Discourse)

@Antechinus: yup yup, firm advocate of doing just that.

How many people use modes other than convo mode? Almost all the people who don't *know* about convo mode.

live627

Sharing tables would be daft. SMF would then enter the seventh circle of hell.

Antechinus

live627

Antechinus

* Antechinus contemplates making a nine-variant "Nine Circles of Hell" theme, as a allegory of our collective adventures in that bloody codebase over the years...

Antechinus

* Antechinus also thinks that red text is effing horrible against the windowbg and windowbg2 post backgrounds, and that someone really should change the colour for the me tags :P

Arantor

Quote from: live627 on September 27, 2014, 06:09:54 PM
Sharing tables would be daft. SMF would then enter the seventh circle of hell.

Then it would be in fantastic company with Discourse, which DOES use topics as PMs. It also uses actual-topics for reports from reported posts.

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 06:24:32 PM
* Antechinus contemplates making a nine-variant "Nine Circles of Hell" theme, as a allegory of our collective adventures in that bloody codebase over the years...

The tales I could tell you...

Illori

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 05:56:42 PM
Worth thinking about for whatever comes after 2.1. How many people use anything other than conversation mode?

i dont use conversation mode, i really have not put in the effort to try it.

Arantor

doooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeet

Makes PMs so much nicer to use, bearing in mind I have exchanged hundreds and hundreds of messages on this forum in my time ;)

Antechinus

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 06:24:32 PM

The tales I could tell you...

Was just doing some satisfying of idle curiosity (not sure which circle that would land me in) and found a work of pure genius. :D

The Nine Circles Of Hell, As Depicted In LEGO

live627

Quote from: Illori on September 27, 2014, 06:29:28 PM
Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 05:56:42 PM

i dont use conversation mode, i really have not put in the effort to try it.
Think private topics.

Arantor

You realise we're on at least the 12th circle by now, right?

Antechinus

Yeah but the classical version only has nine. You'd have to invent new ones.

live627

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 06:34:58 PMI have exchanged hundreds and hundreds of messages on this forum in my time ;)
I have ~100 pages, four labels.

Antechinus

Oh man I just had an idea about the Nine Circles of Hell theme concept: as you get deeper and deeper into the circles, the markup gets worse and the gui becomes less easy to use. :D

Arantor

This account, 21 pages of conversations in inbox. Currently 2 labels, each of which pulls items out of the inbox.

Bear in mind I have also had previous accounts which also had many many pages of conversations ;)

@Antechinus: like Discourse!

Antechinus

Ninth Circle would have bouncing submit buttons. :D

(which would be an awesome addition to an "Annoy User" mod)

Arantor

You guys know I'm doing an updated version of Annoy User after I finish the gallery, right?

You have no idea the hellspawn I will be unleashing in that particular one. Lots of fun new evil ideas. For example, can we say:
body { transform: rotate(180deg); }

And that's not even the only new idea I have in the box of tricks. That's just the first one I'm prepared to share right now with you.

Antechinus

ROFLMAO. Now that's good use of CSS.

* Antechinus approves

live627

Arantor

;D

My day is now complete.

I can't decide what to call the Levertine version of Annoy User, but I know it's going to be fun to build, moreso than last time >:D

I might even leave the Iron Maiden jokes in for the second time iteration.

Antechinus

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 06:51:55 PMYou have no idea the hellspawn I will be unleashing in that particular one. Lots of fun new evil ideas. For example, can we say:

body { transform: rotate(180deg); }

Hey come to think of it, other angles may be even more fun. Can you imagine what 107 degrees would be like? :D

Arantor

Oh, who said I was keeping it solely to 180 degrees? I merely ascertained that that was something I would have it do >:D

Antechinus

Oh dear. You could have it timed to oscillate on long pages. Or rotating forms at high speed. Or.....

Arantor

And you think these things hadn't already occurred to me? >:D

I have an entire *list* of things to add. CSS abuse is merely one of them.

live627

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 06:56:25 PM
Quote from: live627 on September 27, 2014, 06:47:56 PM
oh god :D

God has nothing to do with it. This is pure evil. :D
I know. >:D

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2014, 07:00:16 PM
Oh, who said I was keeping it solely to 180 degrees? I merely ascertained that that was something I would have it do >:D
Let's be truly diabolical here and make it spin. Oh yeah.

Antechinus

Incidentally, what's the performance penalty for running a mod like that? Presumably there's one simple conditional at the top level somewhere, then all the rest gets decided only if that checks out, but if annoying a sizable number of idiots who are infesting your site there must be some hit.

Arantor

The original mod's performance was crazy lean; no additional database queries at all, but the price was a lack of configurability - there was no set up for 'troll user x a little bit and troll user y a lot more', but that's something the new version will have. The performance cost of that is pretty lightweight since you can do things like pushing it to the session to avoid having to recalculate it.

In reality the worst offender in the old version was the 'pausing it for a few seconds' because usleep and sleep don't quite work the way PHP's manual says they should on some servers. Same deal in the new one for the same reason, though the extra punishments mean pauses will happen less often in general so it should work out a shade better.

If I said part of the plan was to include a spin - but very, very slowly...?

Antechinus

Osaugue

Arantor

Yeah, that's what happens. We already answered the original question with what's already available in 2.0 (and what you're asking for is unlikely to happen in any version of SMF, frankly) and then it sort of went off topic in the way forums do.

Advertisement: