News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I'm worried about resetting my database password

Started by Sethv2, September 28, 2014, 03:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethv2

I want to look around in my current database. I'm also playing with the idea of setting up a second SMF installation using the user database from the first to have a single login for both. However, I don't have the password for the database my current SMF installation is using. I checked in settings.php, but that password doesn't work with the db_user it's assigned to. I can reset the password for the MySQL database easily enough. However, I'm concerned that simply typing the new password into settings.php may not work and I wanted to check here first.

LiroyvH

I checked in settings.php, but that password doesn't work with the db_user it's assigned to.

That sounds a bit strange, as your forum wouldn't be functioning if those login details are incorrect...
You're not including the quotes right? eg if it says the password is 'hello123'; then the password is: hello123.
If you change the password and update Settings.php to reflect the change, it should work just fine.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

also...

Quote from: Sethv2 on September 28, 2014, 03:07:19 PM
setting up a second SMF installation using the user database from the first to have a single login for both.

What you suggest is NOT the way to do it and won't work...
if you want two sites with the same login, look into the pmx-subforums ir split forums mods...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sethv2

Thanks for the heads up about how to share the log in. I figured out I needed to enter the $db_server as my username instead of $db_user.

LiroyvH

That makes no sense at all. But glad you sorted it. :/

Sethv2

Basically, this:

$db_server = '<user log in>';
$db_name = '<not user log in>';
$db_user = '<not user log in>';
$db_passwd = '<password>';

I had been trying to use what was entered in for $db_user as my username when logging into the database with phpMyAdmin. So I was using the correct password, but the wrong log in name.

LiroyvH

$db_user is supposed to be the username you need to login with.
And it apparently works just fine from your SMF install; otherwise you'd constantly have a connection error displaying instead of a forum.
Not sure what you're doing, or how you're logging in, but the way you explain it sounds rather bizarre.

Sethv2

I always thought I used the name of the database as my log in as well. Dunno. Maybe it's got something to do with godaddy (my host).

Kindred

no...   the database name is NOT the same as the username (at least not typically - and almost certainly not on GoDaddy)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: