News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Type error in Subs.php

Started by borish, October 03, 2014, 04:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borish

I've upgraded to 2.0.9 using the fresh install method http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files. The only mod I've installed now is Simple Portal. All other mods, most of which are for 2.0 RC4, fail the installation tests. I've noticed that the forum offers me a security patch for 2.0 RC4.

However, I got the same type error again twice a few minutes ago while still in maintenance mode.

kat

I'm not sure.... But, I believe RC2, which was a beta version, essentially, had some database differences. So, just uploading those files won't, really, upgrade.

I would think that you need to do this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_Upgrading

Ninja ZX-10RR

What were you doing? It's SO weird since the lines around that one, including that one, are exactly the same as the ones I have but I can't reproduce the error. If that happens only when you install SimplePortal *MAYBE* it could be on their side, but I'm not sure at all since there is no SP code around those lines.
With the method he used I think the software should be in a virgin state only with SP, that's why I said that, K@. I can be wrong for sure, this is so weird.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

borish

I did what Illori recommended
Quote from: Illori on October 04, 2014, 06:20:32 AM
actually i would recommend http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files instead.

if the op is on 2.0 or later release they dont need to run upgrade.php as there are no database changes.

I don't know what you mean with RC2. I have 2.0.9 now and I've enabled RC4 compatibility to install some mods, which failed however.

kat

******... I misread an earlier post, again.

Apologies.

But, I still think uploading the 2.0.8 files, then patching to 2.0.9, in Package Manager, would be better.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hmm... Which mods? Maybe you can just fix the .xml file to make them fully compatible with 2.0.9, it happened to me many times. :)
*Ninja hates emulation and he forced all his 110+ mods to be compatible with each other WITHOUT emulating even once :P And bets 0n fixing the ,xnl once again :P
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Hmmm... Ninja...  What do you think emulation does?

It does exactly the same thing, essentially...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

borish

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on October 04, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
What were you doing? It's SO weird since the lines around that one, including that one, are exactly the same as the ones I have but I can't reproduce the error.
I've uploaded the the large upgrade package for 2.0.9 by ftp as described in http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files.

Some other things are strange as well:

• The bottom line reads SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines, but 2.0.9 is from 2014.
  • The user stats reads: Most Online Ever: (01 Januar 1970, 01:00)

Kindred

The copyright line suggests that you are using a language other than the basic, American English pack.

The most online ever suggests that you have corrupted data in your database.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Kindred on October 04, 2014, 04:51:28 PM
Hmmm... Ninja...  What do you think emulation does?

It does exactly the same thing, essentially...
I know but imagine if a mod wanted 2.0.4, another 2.0.6, another RC4 etc.. It is a PITA to make them work together with that. I'd rather spend 30 seconds to edit the .xml file, zip it back and fix it myself without spending more time emulating this and that ;)

Quote from: borish on October 04, 2014, 04:51:52 PM
Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on October 04, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
What were you doing? It's SO weird since the lines around that one, including that one, are exactly the same as the ones I have but I can't reproduce the error.
I've uploaded the the large upgrade package for 2.0.9 by ftp as described in http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files.

Some other things are strange as well:

• The bottom line reads SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines, but 2.0.9 is from 2014.
  • The user stats reads: Most Online Ever: (01 Januar 1970, 01:00)
I didn't mean the procedure you already said that, I meant what were you doing when it threw the error XD like browsing a profile or whatever, still browsing the index as per OP?
About the date I think that your forum isn't able to read the variable from the db because it sounds corrupted... Darn I would delete everything but the .htaccess and the database (obviously) and just reinstall from scratch. It will be easier than fixing problems and problems and so on, because from what I can see you the further you are getting the more problems you are having :(

EDIT: Ninja'd about the corrupted db.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

And no...   Not reinstall from scratch. That would lose all of the historical posts and members...

Why is it a pita to make them work together?
Emulate 2.0 RC4, install mod
Emulate 2.0.6, install mod..
Etc and so on...

This is no different than what you did, and does not require any edits to to mod Xml files at all.
Слaва
Украинi

borish

Yes, I use German.

After I've checked "activate statistics" the problem with the wrong numbers is gone and the type error hasn't appeared in the error log since. But there's a bug though: If the statistics setting is unchecked, the "most users ever" line shouldn't be shown. Maybe an empty string was passed to $number instead of a number, which caused the error.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Actually it wouldn't lose anything O.o I didn't say to delete the database! Just the forum, then restore the database from the previous one :)

About the emulation... It's a thing I have spoken about in the past and I don't change my mind. I'd rather have things MADE compatible with each other by default than making my forum compatible XD It could be done that way, never denied it, but to me the best way would be to edit the .xml, why do I have to adapt my forum for a missing number due to a lazy modder not putting install for 2.0.whatever - 2.0.99? I mean, do I really have to bother emulating for that? The answer is no to me. But after all you can choose both ways, they both work. :)

EDIT: after the last post I would definitely recommend to backup the db and reinstall. Too many problems everywhere...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Ninja, would you please stop saying reinstall...  Reinstalling is the wrong way to go. Period.

Loading a clean set of files...  That is correct, and that would end up resetting the forum to a clean state... But reinstalling is the wrong word, because actually doing a new installation is the wrong thing to do.
Слaва
Украинi

Ninja ZX-10RR

Then tell me the difference because reinstalling and importing the db would achieve the same goal. I have seen that the file in that part looks exactly the same as mine that works perfectly so either upload a clean set of files or backing up the db and reinstalling would work. If instead by "reinstall" you mean wipe everything including the db then sorry you are absolutely right, that's why I never said to wipe the db.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

A reinstall sets up a new database.   That is the wrong thing to do...  Importing the old database into the new one is a step that is not only not necessary, but could cause potential issues.

So, basically, your use of reinstall is just plain wrong.
The users should NOTE be told to reinstall. They should be told to load clean files. Period.
Слaва
Украинi

borish

As I've written in #31, I believe there's a bug in smf. Can somebody please try to reproduce it?

Advertisement: