SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mstcool

I'm just curious to know... The day 2.1 gets released....will this support site be updated right away or after a while? And will the site be down for a while?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mstcool

Masterd

Quote from: Mstcool on January 04, 2015, 10:20:22 PM
I'm just curious to know... The day 2.1 gets released....will this support site be updated right away or after a while? And will the site be down for a while?

There's also a chance that this site will be uodated during the RC stage.

dsanchez

I love the @mentions feature. I have a question: it will be possible to set all members to have their notifications (both by alerts and email) enabled by default?

Sagar_king

Their is no image preview for image attachment for 2.1
http://mobiletek.in Smf 2.1
<hr>
Really Thankful to SMF community members for helping
All people are on this forum have their own website that's cool :D

Dylert

Quote from: Sagar_king on January 07, 2015, 12:46:27 AM
Their is no image preview for image attachment for 2.1

I agree with Sagar-king. There should absolutely be an image-preview (thumbnails) for attachments! It's so much better to see a thumbnail of the images you are going to upload, rather than only a file-name.

Illori

there are previews for image attachments just like 2.0 had.

if you dont see them on your forum check your attachment thumbnail settings in the admin panel.

Dylert

I mean preview after an image is selected but before it's posted.

Illori

i really doubt that will be provided as SMF does not do anything with the attachment until you have submitted your message.

Dylert

It would have been a really great improvement!

Arantor

It's also a *massive* amount of work to implement correctly, and does not even begin to remotely justify the workload involved.

Let alone the fact that it's also borderline a security vulnerability in itself - and can be abused to lock out your site on the server in the worst case.

Kindred

yup....   that is not going to happen in 2.1. period.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I don't understand the desire for this ... doesn't one look at the picture before they attach it anyway?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Mstcool

Quote from: Steve on January 07, 2015, 08:34:10 AM
I don't understand the desire for this ... doesn't one look at the picture before they attach it anyway?

Maybe they want to see how it looks posted on the forum because some forums have pics automatically resized to a specific size they want and so the poster might want to see how the pic looks like before its posted. :P

Steve

That's a possibility I reckon. :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2015, 07:31:23 AM
It's also a *massive* amount of work to implement correctly, and does not even begin to remotely justify the workload involved.
It's actually possible simply via JS, I might take a look into this if I get some time.

Arantor

It's possible via JS - yes through the File API.

The problem is, not all the browsers supported by SMF 2.1 support that. Meaning that you either need to do the server roundtrip (where it gets hairy and insecure) or you bundle Flash and possibly Silverlight components to fix the behaviour for the browsers that don't support it but that SMF 2.1 supports, e.g. IE 9.

This assumes the general standing policy of 'consistent behaviour between supported platforms wherever possible', of course.

Dragooon

QuoteThis assumes the general standing policy of 'consistent behaviour between supported platforms wherever possible', of course.
I'm really sure that we do not have a policy of supporting 100% features on every browser (Desktop notifications for example), we try to do our best but I have no qualms against dropping support for arcane browser for features which aren't critical to the usage of forums

Advertisement: