News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

im sorry but i dont see point in adding it if only one person is asking for it, its not like its getting asked for alot.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

There's that too ;)

Also, desktop notifications are a core feature since when?

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on January 08, 2015, 01:11:19 PM
Also, desktop notifications are a core feature since when?

a good few months if not longer. although i have not yet seen them work in firefox... i have really tested the alerts system in that amount of time.

Dragooon

Quote from: Runic on January 08, 2015, 10:09:47 AM
im sorry but i dont see point in adding it if only one person is asking for it, its not like its getting asked for alot.
Quote from: Runic on January 08, 2015, 10:09:47 AM
Attachments and file upload can use some modernisation I believe, it's not just the image preview.

Deaks

One user asked for something after various people including the PM saying its not going to happen in 2.1 and a former dev saying its quite a hard to do, you jump in say ill do it via js.  Even though its already stated that feature wont be added in 2.1 without alot of compatibility issues

Now these 2 things you are now saying are default and core features so the risks that have been presented of not being compatible as stated previously are yet again valid. :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Dragooon

Quote from: Runic on January 09, 2015, 11:47:23 AM
One user asked for something after various people including the PM saying its not going to happen in 2.1 and a former dev saying its quite a hard to do, you jump in say ill do it via js.  Even though its already stated that feature wont be added in 2.1 without alot of compatibility issues

Now these 2 things you are now saying are default and core features so the risks that have been presented of not being compatible as stated previously are yet again valid. :P
Yeah because I have no idea what I'm talking about. This isn't core feature, I simply said attachments could use some improvements. I haven't actually implemented anything, I want to. So I will present what I propose to against the team and let the PM/Lead dev decide.

Deaks

Quote from: Dragooon on January 09, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
Yeah because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Here you are trying to put words in my mouth, if you feel that then why you have the badge :P

Quote from: Dragooon on January 09, 2015, 12:16:46 PMThis isn't core feature
Attachments is a core feature though

Quote from: Dragooon on January 09, 2015, 12:16:46 PMI simply said attachments could use some improvements. I haven't actually implemented anything, I want to. So I will present what I propose to against the team and let the PM/Lead dev decide.
your wording so far has implied you plan to do this albeit before that you did say "might"

I will now back out of this.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Dragooon

Quoteyour wording so far has implied you plan to do this albeit before that you did say "might"
Yeah I do plan to do this, that's the whole point. If I didn't plan to do this I wouldn't ask for Lead Dev or the PM's okay.

QuoteAttachments is a core feature though
I meant this hasn't been added into the core yet

QuoteHere you are trying to put words in my mouth, if you feel that then why you have the badge :P
It was about you thinking I haven't considered the difficulty or compatibility with older browsers, this isn't a functionality, it's simply an enhancement for those with the means to utilise it. Anyone on an older browser doesn't lose the functionality, they simply resort to a much more dull version of it but don't lose any of the features present in the core.

Deaks

you should be coding to work with all supported browsers and core features should work same across all supported platforms.  Not a dulled down version.  Also isnt their enough bugs to fix :P

Personally I would advise not trying to re-invent the system on 2.1 but for the next version.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Dragooon

Quoteyou should be coding to work with all supported browsers and core features should work same across all supported platforms.  Not a dulled down version.  Also isnt their enough bugs to fix :P
And ever wondered why SMF has been called the most basic/backward forum by a lot of users? Because we keep trying to keep everyone happy ending up keeping no one happy.

Deaks

never seen anyone say that before well except the mybb fanboi's who critisice every other forum software but mybb :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Arantor

There's that, and there's the fact that SM is highly conservative in mentality... which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself but it is inhibiting further growth to a point by keeping only to the basic stuff.

*shrug* I just thought policy was to provide a consistent (barring minor aesthetic stuff) experience to all supported browsers, if that's changed, that's fine too.

@Runic: it's a common complaint at TAZ.

Antes

95% of SMF 2.1 works well with IE9 (linear gradients etc... not working with IE9), so I think we can spare 5% to modern world ;)

winsoft

Quote from: Arantor on December 09, 2014, 07:04:55 AM
This release is already beyond alpha.

When will you be releasing full version of this beta?

thanks

Antechinus

It's already available. Just download it from GitHub.

Rumpa

Quote from: Antechinus on January 10, 2015, 07:04:38 AM
It's already available. Just download it from GitHub.
That's mean very soon available in SMF too?

Kindred

???

beta 1 is avalable on our download page.

the "nightly" build is available on github - however beta2 is not yet released
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Steve on January 07, 2015, 08:34:10 AM
I don't understand the desire for this ... doesn't one look at the picture before they attach it anyway?

Taken in isolation it could certainly be argued that the improvement would have limited functionality. However that's because SMF's attachment manager is archaic.

Supposing I wanted to embed two images into a post. Ideally I would enter the file locations/names into the attachment manager which would give me a thumbnail preview of both files along with the option to embed each image or leave them as attachments. Selecting embed would do just that, embed them into the post editor at the caret position ready for posting.

Currently, you can't even easily embed an uploaded image from within the attachment manager. I fully realise that catering for this amount of functionality is not an insignificant task but please don't assume that it's undesirable addition to the core software. On the contrary it's highly desirable and sort after by more than just a small handful of forum owners/users.

Kindred

Perhaps, but neither inline attachments nor attachment preview is in scope for 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

I agree with zappa here. But I think that type of attachment handling also requires Highslide JS (or alike) to show attachments (images) properly. Seems bit much work to me.

Advertisement: