News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night09

There will always need to be a cutoff point for adding things to the core and unless something major was wrong its not likely to change.

Why not make a 2.1 wishlist of ideas not going into 2.1 to give mod writers ideas for future features.

Suki

Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 12, 2015, 07:29:23 PM
Quote from: Suki on January 12, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 12, 2015, 01:01:17 PM
Quote from: Steve on January 12, 2015, 09:01:40 AM
Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 11, 2015, 06:26:43 PM... please don't assume that it's undesirable addition to the core software ...

Not sure if you're talking to me (since you quoted me) or the software developers but if it's me, I honestly did not see why there was a desire for this. Your post shows me why. :)

I'm talking to anyone who will listen :) I think it's important that the developers are made aware of the kind of functionality forum owners and users would like to see in their software.

The developers are already aware.

This "you SMF devs meanies won't add my suggestion" has to stop, really. We are aware, in fact, we are beyond aware to the point of knowing whats factible and whats not, the does and dont's, the pros and cons, the limitations and all that.

Its not about not wanting to listen. It simply comes down to time constraints and manpower, thats all.

For 1 person who request adding X there are 10 that complains about delays and slow development :(

So what exactly are you saying? That suggestions for improvements are unwelcome? I'm not entirely stupid,  I donate a substantial amount of my free time working for a charitable trust. I also write and maintain a number of free to use add-ons as well as help maintain an influential admin forum. I fully appreciate the constraints placed on such services when they are provided free of charge. However, unlike yourselves I welcome suggestions and discussion on how I might improve upon the services I provide.

Let's be absolutely clear, I simply made a suggestion that might improve the functionality of the software. The fact that you have gone so quickly on the defensive speaks volumes.

Incidentally, I was asked to make this and a few other suggestions by one of your developers, I can now see I am wasting everybody's time. I won't bother you again.

Ugh, thats NOT what I said.  I'm not being defensive, I'm stating the actual state of things. I have never said suggestions aren't welcome, I said that this mentality of "SMF don't want to add my suggestions" needs to stop because its FALSE.

I don't mind adding things, if people wants a time machine or an alchemy device to transmute iron into gold, then so be it, thing is,  there aren't enough hours in a day to actually build those things!  thats all I'm saying.

Geez!  and I thought we were having a nice conversation!
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Mstcool

Quote from: Night09 on January 12, 2015, 08:08:08 PM
There will always need to be a cutoff point for adding things to the core and unless something major was wrong its not likely to change.

Why not make a 2.1 wishlist of ideas not going into 2.1 to give mod writers ideas for future features.

1+

GravuTrad

Not really happy by the php 5.3.8 minimum requirement (a server use differents scripts...with differents mini, or maxi requirements...) but i'll see...
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Arantor

Well, 5.3.8 came out in 2011. It is also no longer supported by the PHP team, with 5.6.4 being recommended, thought 5.5.20 and 5.4.36 are currently supported.

GravuTrad

I know well. But it's a little like XP and now soon windows 7, hard to find some updates for certains scripts (not a lot maintained), on a server who host several sites in severals goals...but i'll find a solution. ;)   (updates must be done, simply at less for security)
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Arantor

The change to 5.3.8 is not arbitrary, it allows for much stronger password security in SMF.

Jacen

Quote from: GravuTrad on January 13, 2015, 10:21:13 PM
I know well. But it's a little like XP and now soon windows 7, hard to find some updates for certains scripts (not a lot maintained), on a server who host several sites in severals goals...but i'll find a solution. ;)   (updates must be done, simply at less for security)

It is always best to use the latest version of system software. Especially software that may be exposed to the internet (like PHP, MySQL,Apache, and of course, SMF, are).

Regarding Windows, XP was fine while Microsoft was still patching it, but now that they are not, it should be abandoned, as should 7 when they drop that. :\ Personally, i'm waiting to see if 10 brings back the 7 feel before i decide if i want to change my gaming PC to OSX or Linux.
"I've always found that sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems."

Arantor

I would not encourage changing a gaming PC to anything other than Windows unless you can get native versions of your games, simply because my experience of getting gaming going on those platforms is... sub-ideal. I found all too often the best way to get games working was to run Windows in a Parallels container, with all the attendant performance issues such that Boot Camp was preferable.

Night09

Windows 7 for gaming all the way. 

jakes_t

Congrats guys! It looks very nice from what I've seen on the demo site. Nice clean layout and the likes function is cool (the slightly 'flatter' design of curve1 is probably more in line with today's trends but curve2 has a nice feel to it).

Some feedback, I do miss the accessibility of the recent posts on top:

I'll load it up on a demo and import a live db to see if anything breaks! ;D

Antes

Its actually moved to link tree, as "Unread Posts" - "Updated Topics"

jakes_t

Ah! Spotted it now, a bit hidden. Would be nice to have it all together with you profile, messages and alerts area..:

Antes

I think I can make that as modification :) , not the mention its so easy to add buttons to there.

jakes_t

8) You're pretty handy! I think it looks better and makes more sense, the user's dashboard with the daily useful links in one place 8)

Arantor

The mentality involved is that the stuff up there is 'user stuff', while the page below the title is 'site stuff' if that makes sense.

totaltutankoll

Looks really good on paper!  :)
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Non, je ne regrette rien!

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Print it out, put it on a wooden table, photograph it and email the photograph to someone?

Mstcool

Print it out, pass it around to people and they can reply to different threads :P

Or they can create a new theme... On paper :P

I once printed a site template (a few months ago) but that was cuz I was gonna modify it and stuff and then change it on the computer afterwards lool.

Advertisement: