SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synergy Hub

Having personally been a major player in similar volunteer development projects (hardware & software) I know how that goes..   Great feedback... thank you. 

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2015, 08:24:37 PM
Even that estimate would be pointless, because we have a completely different set of developers from the past releases...   Additionally, we are all volunteers, so how much time gets spent on development in any given week depends on what our dev folks are doing on and offline that week.

As runic notes, we never have and never will even give an estimate on a release date..

PLAYBOY

I think a FB style tagging system would have been nice also. So you`ll know if someone is talking about you in another post.

margarett

But there is one ;) Not with your name directly, but preceded by @
;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PLAYBOY

You mean without a mod ? if I write someones name with @ in font then that person will get a notification?

Bigguy

Burke ♞ Knight

I'm not certain, but you may need to use the person's username and not display name.

Illori

you use the display name, not the username unless both happen to be the exact same name.

Burke ♞ Knight

Ahhh... Okay... Just that I believe some mods used username, so did not know what the 2.1 mentions used.
Thank you for clarifying. :)

Illori

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on February 19, 2015, 09:42:22 AM
Ahhh... Okay... Just that I believe some mods used username, so did not know what the 2.1 mentions used.
Thank you for clarifying. :)

then that mod must be useless, as if the username and display name are different the username is not shown to anyone but the user and admin.

PLAYBOY

Ok I`m kinda confused by the above answers. So do I have to install a mod for this or is it already built in and I can use it in any theme?

Deaks

best bet try a test install and see all the features for yourself :P
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Steve

Bryan's right of course, that is the best way. But just to clarify, the answer to your questions "You mean without a mod ? if I write someones name with @ in font then that person will get a notification?" is yes, as long as you use their display name. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

and even more importantly... 2.1 is still in BETA....   this means that you should not be using it on a production site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

Quote from: Kindred on February 19, 2015, 01:33:48 PM
and even more importantly... 2.1 is still in BETA....   this means that you should not be using it on a production site.

darn and I just updated my site I didnt really
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Yes but your site has people who can squish bugs when they appear...

PLAYBOY

I think it could be better instead of having @, it picked up the username while you type like in Facebook. If you have a friend name John and you`re writing something about John, it finds him and asks you to tag right away.

Suki

Quote from: PLAYBOY on February 20, 2015, 09:55:39 AM
I think it could be better instead of having @, it picked up the username while you type like in Facebook. If you have a friend name John and you`re writing something about John, it finds him and asks you to tag right away.

That would be highly impractical,  imagine if you have an user whos display/uesername is "the" or some other common word in your forum's language?

Anyway, the script already picks up the display name as you type it (as in it gives you suggestions based on what you typed), really, the beta has been up for quite a long time now, go install a demo forum and test the mention feature for yourself.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Mstcool

Quote from: Suki on February 20, 2015, 10:05:32 AM

That would be highly impractical,  imagine if you have an user whos display/uesername is "the" or some other common word in your forum's language?

Anyway, the script already picks up the display name as you type it (as in it gives you suggestions based on what you typed), really, the beta has been up for quite a long time now, go install a demo forum and test the mention feature for yourself.

What if ur display name changes? Do the names in previous mentioned replies stay the same or change? Will be link to the new name or what? And what if someone chooses the previous name? Then what? Just curious lool :P

Acans

Stay the same. However since the member ID stays the same, the link will still work.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Suki

Quote from: Mstcool on February 21, 2015, 03:12:32 AM
Quote from: Suki on February 20, 2015, 10:05:32 AM

What if ur display name changes? Do the names in previous mentioned replies stay the same or change? Will be link to the new name or what? And what if someone chooses the previous name? Then what? Just curious lool :P

It can be done, the id is all thats needed to get an always updated display name but due to performance, it is not done that way.

When you are mentioning someone it will always show the current display name that particular user has so you can't really chose a past username because it won't show up.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: