News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mods from 2.0.9 to 2.1?

Started by NekoJonez, November 30, 2014, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekoJonez

Hi guys

I might want to have my forum run v2.1 Beta 1, but I have various mods installed.

So, which kinds of mods could easily transfer over to 2.1, with that emulation mode?
Can a modded installation be upgraded to 2.1?
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Gary

The results with mods that'll work with 2.1 are going to be mixed, it's going to have to be a trial and error thing on your part. But a vast majority are not going to work.

Minor things such as Avatar packs should work with relative ease.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

vbgamer45

What I would do is create a test site and see if the mods you like work well on 2.1 if not then wait on upgrading till they are updated.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

In any case, running beta versions on production sites is not especially wise unless you know how to investigate/debug things.

Oldiesmann

Also note that themes for 2.0.x absolutely will not work with 2.1, so you'll be limited to the default theme unless you want to upgrade/write a theme yourself.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

stmaxx

I'm working on a theme at this time, it the default dark, many changes to it the CSS files, but the default templates!

http://smf21.surfacethemes.com/index.php

Sagar_king

Quote from: stmaxx on November 30, 2014, 03:17:24 PM
I'm working on a theme at this time, it the default dark, many changes to it the CSS files, but the default templates!

I am on 2.1 will you please pm or post that theme its so awessome
http://mobiletek.in Smf 2.1
<hr>
Really Thankful to SMF community members for helping
All people are on this forum have their own website that's cool :D

stmaxx

Thanks! But sorry to The theme is test theme and I'm still working on it, and  I can not commit to it until the later when it's done and that will be after the SMF 2.1 RC is released and if all goes well, then tested in the real world. then cleaned up and sorted out.

I only posted here so the SMF user can see for themselves,  that the customized themes are doable for the 2.1 so far! just  an example so to speak!
I'll will be doing more as time permits!

NekoJonez

So, all mods that edit theme files need to be rewritten or updated?

Twitter
My Blog

Arantor

Um, yes, because the theme is so different?

Kindred

basically -- ALMOST every mod is going to have to be re-written. (there are a few that may work - the more they use hooks, the more likely)

but what is the hurry?  SMF is in BETA 1...  no site should be using it in production and we are not interested in mods for a beta1 --  what we WANT is for people to TEST the basic installation and confirm if they discover any issues or not...  installing mods would defeat that purpose actually.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Maybe, maybe mod may not look indifferent (or broken) in SMF 2.1 beta BUT it needs changes because SMF 2.0 has extra spans to show rounded corners, which is not needed in SMF 2.1, mod authors needs to look those changes and migrate their mods.

I'm interested in seeing the mods updated to SMF 2.1 at this stage because we can work on migration and maybe add some more css rules to core software to support mod authors. Other than I agree with Kindred.

stmaxx

General statement, for my test results! ( on some portal mods)

I tested 3 major Portals mods, and they all have issues that, deal with, many errors during install, and 2 of them need be emulated, and with these errors. ( now some Errors dealing with security and many with the source files especially the Admin.php.

Not saying anything except this is what I do and find, I know it's early in the Beta stage, however I love to know for my own reasons, how much or how close they are to being suited for the RC + ! ....

Basically what I found, is the one portal works on the back side, but not front, with many errors in the logs and the other seems to work most of it's stuff front and back except for the some features with errors in the logs. ( after emulation)

The Other works  both front and back and install, however the default theme does work well with that one.

So in short they have issues, that do not seem that bad to me, with the exception of the security issues :) Not mentioning names here because I'm passing this info the to portal coder's and they also agree that it's a bit early to start working on them.

also test a media mod that works well, after a minor change in the admin.php.

Now I like the 2.1 and how it coming about. No complaints here!
I posted a few issues from the start of the alpha till this point and they all have been rectified so far! :)
and I've seen many changes for the good in this time. so thanks and CYL.

NekoJonez

Quote from: Kindred on December 06, 2014, 09:08:57 AM
basically -- ALMOST every mod is going to have to be re-written. (there are a few that may work - the more they use hooks, the more likely)

but what is the hurry?  SMF is in BETA 1...  no site should be using it in production and we are not interested in mods for a beta1 --  what we WANT is for people to TEST the basic installation and confirm if they discover any issues or not...  installing mods would defeat that purpose actually.

I'm not in a hurry. I'm just curious.
I want to inform myself well in advance. x3

Twitter
My Blog

Mr.Truckman

Quote from: NekoJonez on November 30, 2014, 12:22:38 PM
Hi guys

I might want to have my forum run v2.1 Beta 1, but I have various mods installed.

So, which kinds of mods could easily transfer over to 2.1, with that emulation mode?
Can a modded installation be upgraded to 2.1?

I upgraded it and found that it can be shared by some mod.

mark87

http://smf21.surfacethemes.com/index.php [nofollow]
Love the theme and style ! Bravo !

stmaxx

Quote from: mark87 on January 03, 2015, 10:42:05 AM

Thank you Am i'm working on Lighter one also as starting toy with others, but most all are based on the core theme framework, with my menu and styles, but I'm holding off for the RC before I'll finish them off!

But the general set up of the The 2.1, has is going to be hard to beat, I like the way it feels. BUT I'm sure we could do things different as time goes on :)

regards,
Maxx

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: stmaxx on January 14, 2015, 02:17:41 PM
Quote from: mark87 on January 03, 2015, 10:42:05 AM

Thank you Am i'm working on Lighter one also as starting toy with others, but most all are based on the core theme framework, with my menu and styles, but I'm holding off for the RC before I'll finish them off!

But the general set up of the The 2.1, has is going to be hard to beat, I like the way it feels. BUT I'm sure we could do things different as time goes on :)

regards,
Maxx

Not to mention the 2.1 default theme is remarkably mobile device compatible, noticeable improvements from previous versions...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Oldiesmann

Yes it is. The default theme in 2.1 is done with responsive design techniques, which means it should work quite well on a variety of devices and screen sizes.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 14, 2015, 03:40:51 PM
Yes it is. The default theme in 2.1 is done with responsive design techniques, which means it should work quite well on a variety of devices and screen sizes.

Yeppers sir, kudos to yall, you all are doing it up great this go round, I did slightly crack mine though, somewhere along the line of manipulating all these mods I installed I accidently messed it up just a tad, there's a short snippet of html code being echoed on some of the popup profile fields, haven't yet backtracked exactly where the problem was introduced...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: