Question About Topic Views

Started by Stanyy, December 31, 2014, 07:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanyy

Hi,
Is there a way I can get the amount of views a topic has received within a time frame, say 7 days?

Arantor

Not without logging it yourself. SMF just keeps a running total.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

This is an interesting question, and I have an idea for rigging up something for you at a small price, it will require some custom coding but is doable if you agree... but before I go into my idea, let me ask you, these statistics you want... do you care whether your user base sees them as well as admin staff? or is it an admin only situation?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Stanyy

Quote from: Arantor on December 31, 2014, 07:50:14 PM
Not without logging it yourself. SMF just keeps a running total.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

Quote from: Bob Perry on December 31, 2014, 07:57:09 PM
This is an interesting question, and I have an idea for rigging up something for you at a small price, it will require some custom coding but is doable if you agree... but before I go into my idea, let me ask you, these statistics you want... do you care whether your user base sees them as well as admin staff? or is it an admin only situation?

Hi, Yes, everyone would see them including guests.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Stanyy on December 31, 2014, 08:06:30 PM
Hi, Yes, everyone would see them including guests.

Well, I'm glad I did a little digging in the post response minutes, my idea sucks as there are no timestamp fields associated with member views (as Arantor says, you'd have to manually create the log yourself) of topics/messages and good thing too upon reflection, it'd be a database nightmare of sorts... still, its still an intiquing thought you have there... let's set aside the thought of "views" for now... the database tracks a great many things that most site owners never worry about or care about for that matter, and I've spent a great deal of time modifying my site statistics page to reflect some of these not often considered stats & numbers, my thoughts about your query is that you should visit my site and have a look see where there is an interactive chatting feature available for live discussion of your interests, much of what I do with the statistics page is a snap to share with fellow SMF site owners once I get it stable and error free... depending on the complexity of the stats wanted I normally only charge a small one time price, sometimes even $0, depends on the amount of hair pulling and screaming I do getting there lol... I plan to be up most of the night tonight so drop by and lets talk, I do not usually respond to PM's from here about site work btw...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: