News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to Change URL?

Started by desiamerican26, December 31, 2014, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desiamerican26

Hello Friends,

Can Someone help me to figure out how can I change the URL for my website?

My actual site url that I am using right now: www.desi-american.com/forum/

What I want to change to is: www.desi-american.com

Thank You

Kindred

Well, first, you will have to move the files from the directory into the root, in your host file manager or FTP...

Then you have to adjust your forum's paths and urls using repair_settings.pho (read the FAQ on how to use that)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

desiamerican26

Oh Wow....That looks like a little complicated work for me....Thanks for replying :)

Burke ♞ Knight

Very much less complicated than setting up and getting a site made, in my opinion.

desiamerican26

@♞ Burke Knight ♞

I am not good with FTP.....so moving the files and adjusting forums path.... I will try to to work on this tho....

Sir Osis of Liver

You can leave it where it is and use a redirect.  I use this in domain root to redirect to my forum -

index.php

<?php
header
('Location: http:/www.desi-american.com/forum/');
?>

Users can link to www.desi-american.com and will be redirected to the forum.  You can do the same with a .htaccess redirect.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Burke ♞ Knight

Krash, that is useful, but does not solve the issue, if the OP wants the site at the root, instead of the current location.

Kindred

Well, it does actually solve the issue, in a manner...
Anyone who accesses the root will get boch Ed to the forum with minimal delay.   If the user can not move the files and change the settings, then krash's suggestion is a good one
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: