Can the words "Child Boards" be changed...

Started by Debido, December 29, 2014, 02:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debido

fairly easily to something like "Additional Boards" "Related Boards" or something on that order?

Antechinus

Yes. Admin language editor > General strings. Take a look and see how you go. ;)

Debido

please excuse my ignorance but im not seeing anything like that

admin language editor>general strings

where will i find such a thing? ;D

Bobby

Go to Themes/default/languages/index.english.php
Search for: $txt['parent_boards'] = 'Child Boards';
Replace with: $txt['parent_boards'] = 'Additional Boards or Related Boards';

Debido

thank you i will give that a try on my test forum  :)

Burke ♞ Knight

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Or better yet use the in-built language editor that Antechinus pointed out ;)

* Arantor continues to be glad he changed this in 2.1 though

Steve

Then I'll ask the same question as Debido ... where will I find such a thing?

Arantor

Admin > Languages > click the name of the language > select General Strings from the dropdown.

Illori

although if you edit the strings that way and you have no backup and wish to revert your changes you may run into issues. IMO FTP and a text editor is a better way to edit the strings.

Steve

Well slap my @ss and call me Sally ... that's awesome ... one mod I can get rid of. Thanks Arantor and Antechinus! :D

At Illori, one should always have a backup before making changes, yes?

Illori

yes you should have a backup, but doing the edits that way it may not be aparent what file is being edited for you so you know which file to backup.

it is very important to have a backup, how many people do we see here that forget or do not make backup's?

Arantor

If only there were a way of doing all of this that didn't require file edits, like putting the content into a database and making safe edits to it.

Steve

Quote from: Illori on December 29, 2014, 09:09:47 AMyes you should have a backup, but doing the edits that way it may not be aparent what file is being edited for you so you know which file to backup.

it is very important to have a backup, how many people do we see here that forget or do not make backup's?

My question was rhetorical but in any case, it's amazing how often people make infrequent, or worse, no backups.

And not knowing which file to edit is most often the case for some of us. I know how to edit (and have a backup of) them but most times I don't know what file to look for.

Illori

Quote from: Steve on December 29, 2014, 09:15:58 AM
And not knowing which file to edit is most often the case for some of us. I know how to edit (and have a backup of) them but most times I don't know what file to look for.

if you have a local copy of your SMF files, you can use notepad++ or other editors to search your files for certain words. do a search for "Home" in your Themes/default/languages folder and see what you find, or any similar word you see. now you can search and reply any word(s) you want.

Steve

That's a good idea. I should have thought of that ... getting old sucks ... ;)

Debido

Thank you all, I did change it and it was very easy!  ;D

Once I knew how  ;)

Debido

ok i did change the words from child boards to "related boards."

Now the related boards show up normally under the main board name as they do on this SMF board, but my "related boards" aka the child boards all show up above the main board name if you click on the main board, hope i am explaining it right.

In other words i have a board called "Area news" then have related boards under that, but when you click on the "area news" board it shows all the related boards stacked above the main area news board ;D ;D and the area news board is down on the page, does that make sense? something doesnt seem right, please help  :)

Antechinus

Yeah that's standard. You can switch it around if you like. I actually made a mod for it. You can install that if you like, or if you want to just nick teh code and modify your template yourself, go for it.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3076

Advertisement: