News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Can the words "Child Boards" be changed...

Started by Debido, December 29, 2014, 02:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debido

Debido

I dled it but it wont install, should i install it as an older version of smf? or what would i tweak to do this without a mod?

Antechinus

It already has the <install for="2.0, 2.0.1 -2.0.99"> in package-info.xml, so I doubt emulation will make any difference. It's more likely the template has been altered by another mod (or a human).

If you attach your template here I'll take a look at it.

Kindred

Debido, when you report an issue -- using the EXACT terms is important

"won't install" is basically pointless, since there are at least 3 different conditions which could be described that way.

was it Unable to install because the package was empty?
was it unable to install because the package was for the wrong version?
or
were there errors on the installation that caused you to stop installation?

In each case, there are actions which you can perform to correct the issue...   
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Debido

just says failed to execute and do not proceed kindred, its a rather general vague reason but looking at ot further now i am assuming its because its for an older version of smf so i will try to emulate the version it was made for.

Kindred

Wait..it says, do not continue?
In other words you get to the point of the test installation and it shows you error messages?

Or it does not even make it to the test?

If the first, then the error list actually tells you what you need to edit in order to correctly install the mod...

If the second, then read the link that Arantor posted.

The error messages are actually very clear and very specific.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

It still installs just fine on a default 2.0.9 template without requiring emulation. I know. I wrote the damned thing. I just tested it again too.

If it's not installing, the template has probably been edited previously. This is the most likely explanation, which I why I suggested attaching it here.

Come to think of it, I could rewrite the xml so installation was close to bulletproof, even if the template had been edited. If there was enough call for it I'd consider doing that, but with over 900 downloads and no complaints I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Debido

perhaps you're right, probably a conflict with another mod

Steve

Ah, that's the standard message Kindred alluded to when you try to install a mod and your particular configuration doesn't pass its tests. That's usually because another mod has modified a file it wants to change (or a 'conflict' with another mod if you prefer).

Below that message are the lines that failed and you can see what file it's looking in, what it's looking for and what change it wants to make.

Take a look here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

DO NOT pm me for support!

Debido

oh ok i got you now, but without knowing what/where to change if a mod just doesnt install easily im leary of making manual changes unless i knew exactly what to change and to what, for fear of messing up the forum  :(

so i will just mark this subject solved and move on

Antechinus

Ok, so don't worry about the silly old mod. If you've already edited your template (somehow) then you'll want the edited version moved around anyway (assuming you wanted the edits or you wouldn't have made them).

This is not hard to do manually. Look in template. Find this, about Line 20:

if (!empty($context['boards']) && (!empty($options['show_children']) || $context['start'] == 0))
{

Now go down to around Line 120 and find this:

echo '
</tbody>
</table>
</div>
</div>';
}

That last curly bracket there is the one that matches up with the first curly bracket up top. Everything between those brackets is the child boards stuff. You need to copy all of that, including the two brackets that wrap it, and including the if statement before the first bracket. Just get your code editor, highlight all of that crud with the nifty "begin/end select" function any code editor should have, hit copy,  then paste it into the right place.

The right place is just before this:

// Show breadcrumbs at the bottom too.

That's all you have to do, except that you will now have two lots of child boards. :D So, comment out the original ones by putting /* before the first if statement and */ after the second curly bracket. Easy. This will turn them into non-read comments instead of functional code, which is all good.

Make a backup copy of the template before you try this stuff. ;)

Advertisement: