News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Here we go again: microscopic text FTW

Started by Antechinus, December 30, 2014, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Ok, what is with this obsession with making instructions for n00bz so tiny they may need a microscope to read them? :P

I'm talking, at the moment, about the second installer screen (where you enter all the db details, etc). The use of font-size: smaller; for the secondary divs results in 10px font, which is getting a bit ridiculous if you want it easily readable by just about anyone. Using 0.9 em instead of smaller would be a big improvement, IMO.

echo '
</select>
<div style="font-size: smaller; margin-bottom: 2ex;">', $txt['db_settings_type_info'], '</div>
</td>
</tr>';

Tables for layout is very cool too. :D

Antechinus

Oh while I'm on the installer, what's the point of having an inaccessible checkbox for UTF-8? f you're going to install as UTF-8 whether they like it or not, which is fine, why provide stuffz and clutter to pretend there's an option? It'll just confuse people, and it's more code to output for no benefit at all.

BTW, the SSL option could probably do with a bit more explanation.

Arantor

To answer the UTF-8 thing, when I made it semi-mandatory, one of the DB systems couldn't support it so the UI had to accommodate it (since SQLite no does UTF-8), since that's no longer supported, there's no real reason why it couldn't just be done.

Antechinus

Ah. Fair enough. Bit of a leftover then. Should be dropped before RC.

Antechinus

Hmm. Must admit the first impressions upon installation are the the overall feel is pretty crude.

Suki

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: