News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Datas integration from 2.09 in clean 2.1

Started by rentner, January 08, 2015, 02:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rentner

Hello experts,
I have installed the new 2.1 Beta on an own domain with a new database (Mysql). Clean, full, installation.
Just to test all the software features with the same data as with the 2.0.9

How I get the data base and folder structure from the old domain into the new domain.
Both are on the same web space (server).
A backup is of course existing, done on the admin panel from the server.

Is there a easy way to import all this to the new domain?

Please help, because I'm a bit unsure due to I do it the first time.
Until now I only do the (very good) updates on our server with a bit modding and maintenance.

Many thanks for your answers in advance.

Illori

you can do the same as our wiki suggests for moving a forum to another host/domain and use repair_settings.php but keep in mind not all settings in 2.1 are supported by repair_settings.php. you may need to do some manual editing of Settings.php.

it may just be easier to do the install again on the server you want it on, as you should not be using it live anyway.

Kindred

basically - do as Illori has said... but you would not do a 2.1 INSTALL on the new location.

Copy the files and database form your 2.0.9 installation to the new location (see WIKI/FAQ)
make sure that runs correctly in the ne location and is not tied back to the old location in any way

THEN run the 2.1 upgrade in the new location
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rentner

As I mentioned above I already have installed the 2.1 for testing but no problem I can delete it again.

The point is, a clean forum is not good to test without datas.
I only want to copy the data and folder structure to this new installation that I can see how it looks with our data.
Without bugs from the old forum, maybe.

I do not want to destroy something on the old data base If I use the same base. Therefore I do a new MYSQL data base to fill with the 2.0.9 datas.

I am thinking wrong?

margarett

You are thinking right ;)

But the point stands: you can't just "import" the data, SMF does it for you with the upgrade tool ;) But the upgrade requires that the "origin" SMF instance to be running correctly.
So you need to duplicate your current 2.0.9 (files + db) to another folder/db or new server like in your case, then run repair_settings in order to have the duplicate 2.0.9 running correctly in the new location.
Then you can proceed with the normal upgrade method for 2.1 ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

which is what I said as well. :D

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2015, 07:33:00 AM
Copy the files and database from your 2.0.9 installation to the new location (see WIKI/FAQ)
make sure that runs correctly in the ne location and is not tied back to the old location in any way

THEN run the 2.1 upgrade in the new location

If you copy your 2.0.9 installation and make sure the test installation is running correctly and separately from your production environment, THEN you do the upgrade.
There is no way to import 2.0.9 data into a 2.1 install without going through an upgrade
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rentner

OK understood so far.

And what data base information written in the setting.php should I use then?

The new MYSQL database I have created or the 2.1 Forum or old one?
That is waht I still not realy understand.

Or should I do after the upgrate from 2.09 to 2.1 modify the setting.php with the new database information that the existing 2.0.9 will be not overwritten from the new 2.1 software.

Puh hope I have explain it understandable now  :-[

Kindred

you are missing the entire point still.

Do not do anything with the 2.1 installation that you made.

1- copy your database to a new database
2- copy your files to a new directory
3- run repair_settings int he new directory and set the test-copy forum to point to the NEW database and the NEW directories
4- confirm that the test-copy is working, using 2.0.9

5- Then, and only then, upload the 2.1 upgrade archive and run upgrade.php on your TEST-COPY instalaltion
Слaва
Украинi

rentner

Advertisement: