News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New post and comment notifications

Started by NNR, January 08, 2015, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NNR

I have installed SMF 2.0.9 and I am the Administrator. But I am not getting any notification for new posts and comments for moderation. How to enable this?

kat

Look under my post. You'll see "Notify". If you click that, wherever you see it, you'll get notifications of posts made to that board/topic.

In your profile, you can set to get notifications of all replies to posts you've made.

Or, perhaps, you want this?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1861

NNR

Quote from: K@ on January 09, 2015, 07:04:33 AM
Look under my post. You'll see "Notify". If you click that, wherever you see it, you'll get notifications of posts made to that board/topic.

In your profile, you can set to get notifications of all replies to posts you've made.

Or, perhaps, you want this?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1861

Thanks K@. I am aware of this. But is there no provision which will notify the administrator about all the new posts and comments for moderation (as in blog)? As an administrator and moderator I want to approve the posts and replies before they appear.

Kindred

Wait, you want to approve ALL posts?  If your forum gets busy, you are going to be Very overloaded...

But no... There is nothing to notify anyone of all posts, everywhere.
The forum is not a blog.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NNR

Quote from: Kindred on January 09, 2015, 09:09:53 PM
Wait, you want to approve ALL posts?  If your forum gets busy, you are going to be Very overloaded...

But no... There is nothing to notify anyone of all posts, everywhere.
The forum is not a blog.

Due to the nature of the Forum it is important for me to monitor all posts. I think vBullettin has this provision.

Arantor

Just because <other platform> has it, does not automatically make it a good thing.

I used to be on a forum where I would be notified by email of every post. I personally found 75/day was getting a bit much for me, especially where I had to keep marking them as not-spam by my email provider.

If you have a busy site, you're going to run into issues with your host.

As for notifications of pending approvals, I believe they're bunched together in digests, I *think* it's every 2 hours but I could be wrong, been a while (I tend to hang around on the forum to deal with things as they happen rather than email personally)

NNR

Quote from: Arantor on January 09, 2015, 11:34:44 PM
Just because <other platform> has it, does not automatically make it a good thing.

It is not a question of good or not. It is a possible facility and the option of how to handle the posts should be left to the Forum owners.  It is altogether a different thing if SMF decides not to provide this.

Arantor

It is possible, yes, but just because <other platform> has it does not dictate that SMF should have it or not.

We, as a group, tend to find that it actually is far more counter productive to have it, having actually tried it on various sizes of forum. That and the fact that laws like CAN-SPAM are a thing that have to be complied with.

NNR

Quote from: Arantor on January 09, 2015, 11:59:20 PM
It is possible, yes, but just because <other platform> has it does not dictate that SMF should have it or not.

We, as a group, tend to find that it actually is far more counter productive to have it, having actually tried it on various sizes of forum. That and the fact that laws like CAN-SPAM are a thing that have to be complied with.

You have got me wrong. I never said this forum should have just because the other forum has it. The comparison was made only to show that it is possible. Period.

Though I do not need any explanation, but since you have given an explanation, the explanation is feeble. If the option is provided and enabled it is only the Administrator/moderator who is going to be flooded with posts. If at all anyone has complaints then it would be the Administrator/moderator only and s/he can always enable or disable as per preference.

If you vet the members list of this Forum you will find half of them are spam!

Kindred

Quote from: NNR on January 10, 2015, 12:19:59 AM
If you vet the members list of this Forum you will find half of them are spam!

ummm....   what?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: