News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.1 beta demo

Started by rootuid, January 12, 2015, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rootuid

Hi,
Wondering if there is a public demo of 2.1 available or perhaps an unofficial one?
Thanks

Arantor

A few of the team members have them, not sure if they want to link to them.

But given that it's free software, there's nothing stopping you running your own test copy to get a proper feel for it.

Antes

If you are aware with basics of local testing which just means know how to install WAMP (or alike) and install SMF :)

You can get SMF 2.1 Beta 1 (Latest Build) here: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/archive/release-2.1.zip, I think download site pack has some install bugs in it.

+ https://nanosector.ddns.net/smf21/
+ http://next.mmobrowser.com

shadow82x

I have a demo up at http://avatarprime.net/smf2.1/ (Updated just today.) Let me know if you want a temp admin login to play with things.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

If you want to see a 2.1 version with several different modules installed, visit my site, just click the image in my signature...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

NanoSector

Quote from: Antes on January 12, 2015, 05:09:38 PM
+ https://nanosector.ddns.net/smf21/

Note my site has multiple modules available. The link above ^ points to a 2.1 installation that is updated every night at 12am GMT+1.
It also provides installable packages and upgrade packs, generated at the same time every night:
http://nanosector.ddns.net/builds.php
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

stmaxx

Thank you gonna Check it out!

regards,
Maxx

As well as other admins interested in seeing it before you install, I invite other developers and customizers to pop in on my production install and use my test-admin account to get an idea of the type of things that will be issues when they themselves install the new version and start adjusting their own mods or hacks... just pm me for the login details to get in the test account if interested...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

NanoSector

Quote from: Bob Perry on January 14, 2015, 06:18:00 AM
As well as other admins interested in seeing it before you install, I invite other developers and customizers to pop in on my production install and use my test-admin account to get an idea of the type of things that will be issues when they themselves install the new version and start adjusting their own mods or hacks... just pm me for the login details to get in the test account if interested...

No offense but do I need to remind you that this is a really, *really* bad idea? :-\
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Quote from: NanoSector on January 14, 2015, 07:20:58 AM
No offense but do I need to remind you that this is a really, *really* bad idea? :-\

No offense taken, but I am WELL aware of the risks, and I'm fine, any interested parties will be well aware and warned before getting the details that it is a temporary, conditional access for viewing the system ONLY, no one will dare mess with anything because I am retired and financially capable of visiting them physically anywhere in the world dude, lol

;)
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

Really? If you were aware of the risks, you wouldn't do it.

Heck, *I* never ran a live 2.1 install while developing for it, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't be giving out admin access.

Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2015, 10:12:06 AM
Really? If you were aware of the risks, you wouldn't do it.

Heck, *I* never ran a live 2.1 install while developing for it, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't be giving out admin access.

I keep forgetting some folks forget what the true meaning of real life, practical networking and teamwork is... sorry but they can't screw up anything up that I am not capable of fixing relatively quickly, just a matter of minutes usually... it's not like they are getting Cpanel/FTP access, sheesh, to each his own I suppose but I remain undaunted dude...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Antes

I can hack your whole network with that admin access. I can make SMF run malicious code(s)/file(s) into your system...

Arantor

Quoteit's not like they are getting Cpanel/FTP access

You give me admin access to your SMF, I can get cPanel and FTP access out of it. If the server isn't properly hardened I can take over everything on it too. In most cases I can compromise other accounts without too much trouble.

Kindred

yup... bob... that is just a plain "BAD IDEA"tm

even I could get full access to your system if I had admin access in SMF
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

I never once denied the risk, however in my defense, I would never just willie nillie give it out like candy, there would be some dialogue beforehand and such to let me "read" the person's intent/inclinations and be "relatively" sure whether they are inclined to be so damn bold, just as I have always done in every relationship building period whether digitally OR in-person, nobody is perfect but that type of personality shows itself immediately to the keen observer and experienced networking professional, sorry, still undaunted but yall do have me on my toes re-thinking that access to you guys!! LOL  ;)

ATTENTION to detail, some are good at it and others not so much, and some just have too much detail to keep track of... I like to think I'm pretty good at sorting it out after 6 years in the Marines and over 25 years in the real world IT coding industry, tho mostly in a completely different platform than open source PHP, but the risks are the same in that arena as well, building trust is what social networking is all about folks, don't let these guys make ya too paranoid, cautious maybe, but I've been working with SMF since 2006 and not been hacked even once, in fact, I welcome wannabes to try, without admin access of course...

We have no hope of giving the big boys such as FB and Twitter some decent competition if we don't all band together as brothers/sisters and quit nit-picking at each other so much...

And as I've already mentioned, retired, so plenty of time, resources, & financially stable enough to expend the energy & money to track you down anywhere in the world if you are bold enough to push my buttons to that God awful state of mind, everything digital is fixable except rampant self-aware AI, now THAT worries me to no end lol...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

As a side note and to lighten the mood a little I hope, and give you a clue where I herit a somewhat warped sense of humor, yall want a good chuckle at something my mom said in a humorous chat session i had a few minutes ago with my ma on FB?

She happened (I'm 57 & got her hooked on fancy technology back in the day when filenames in front of the .ext were REQUIRED to be 8 characters or less), anyway, she caught me logged into FB messenger and asked me where I been lately... as I was explaining to her about the big doins over here at SMF I threw out the acronym/phrase "SMF site owners" several times and she responded in one of the replies with her interpretation of what she thought SMF means with "Silly MF site owners?"...

I was in mid-puff of my cigar when I read it, made me cough up a lung, thanks ma!!

;D
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Advertisement: