SMF Support > SMF 2.1.x Support

Disabling Error Log Counter in Admin Button?

(1/6) > >>

br360:
I just upgraded to the newest available 2.1 (as of last night's upgrade), and I'm noticing a new feature now that every error on the board is shown as a counter in the admin button. I was trying to find a way to disable this in the admin panel, but wasn't able to.

Admins should definitely be checking their error logs regularly of course; but on busier forums, there could be a couple hundred errors a day just on people typing in the wrong password when logging in- and it could get a little annoying refreshing a page and then seeing 10 new errors in the admin button. Is there a way to be able to disable this like can be done with other alerts and notifications?

Here are a couple of images-

Illori:
as far as i know there is no way to turn it off. IMO it should not be turned off as some admin would never check the error log otherwise.

Justyne:
That might be a nice idea for a mod though to scale it down to only the critical errors. I didn't realise it also tracked the mistaken user logins as my community has very few of those. I can certainly see these as being annoying if they constantly pop up as a notification.

br360:

--- Quote from: Illori on January 14, 2015, 05:16:32 AM ---as far as i know there is no way to turn it off. IMO it should not be turned off as some admin would never check the error log otherwise.

--- End quote ---

I think it's fine to have it on by default, but on some forums that may get something like a few hundred password incorrect errors a day, it could tend to get a little overkill logging in and seeing that kind of number in the admin button- and imo, there should be some way to turn that off somewhere in the notification settings. If every other notification can be turned off, not sure why there wouldn't be a way to do it here.

I would think most admins check their logs on a at least semi-regular basis; and I agree that having the error notification counter as default would be nice in helping remedy the situation for those that don't- however once they see the error section exists, it would be nice to be able to not have to get the counter notice each time a simple error occurs- otherwise some admins may go the other route; find it annoying, and just turn off the error logs entirely in the admin panel.

br360:

--- Quote from: Justyne on January 14, 2015, 05:36:14 AM ---That might be a nice idea for a mod though to scale it down to only the critical errors.

--- End quote ---

That would be livable at least, and actually a cool feature to be able to be notified if there was a critical or even database error. Seeing the number "300"  and finding out that 298 were password incorrect errors, not so much. lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version