Looks like a slight tweak possibly needed in PMing routines too? not sure...

Started by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting, January 14, 2015, 05:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

I just got a couple undefined index errors on PMing a member only "from" the admin account, and confirmed that it is not a problem for normal users with help from some tests by one of my other users... not positive but on line 1108 of Sources/PersonalMessage.php where it picks up/inserts(?) id_member in $context['member']['id'] at end of statement, I get undefined index on "member"in the log... it could be something weird in my profile setup cause i get occasionally strange display results about my IP address displaying 0.0.0.0 & then intermittently changing to the normal IP w/numbers too (recently started using Cloudflare accelerator tool), but it looks like it inserts a -1 "id" in the from position of the resulting url only for an admin account maybe?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Kindred

Bob,

With all of the tweaks and mods you have applied to your 2.1, I am unsure how valid reports from your site might be.   Although we are interested in how mods work in 2.1, we are focused on addressing issues in the straight installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Illori

then before you report issues, you should check on github and update to the latest version from github and test your issue again.

Quote from: Kindred on January 14, 2015, 06:13:34 PM
Bob,

With all of the tweaks and mods you have applied to your 2.1, I am unsure how valid reports from your site might be.   Although we are interested in how mods work in 2.1, we are focused on addressing issues in the straight installation.

uh huh, wondered how long it would be for you to chime in with tactfully chiding my integrity & competency by inferring reports from my site as questionable validity? slightly smacks of saying nicely that i'm a senile old fool who should not be trusted? I DO get sidetracked easily and miss simple things frequently as the elderly often do, but I'll match my attention to detail, integrity, and work/personal tenacity for digging down to the heart of the issues honestly against you young whelps anytime man...

You may be the sheriff(s) here, but it matters not one little bit to me, this board as I understand it is perused not just by support staff & developers, other site owners scan these threads regularly as well and are quietly interested in monitoring progress as the numbers in the "view" stats obviously indicate but also aren't interested in jumping from site to site for possible answers... sounds to me like you may not want anything posted visible to other members indicating any hint of negatively impacting their perception of the product, which is silly... there is no hand slapping at anything openly positive about it that I or anyone else have posted... and imo I'll speak my mind to any of you in confidence or openly eat my words just as fast if I'm blatantly wrong, with anyone else too, my hide is thick... our history has been somewhat "iffy" at best anyway, but I acknowledge the equally valid thoughts you cite about focusing on the vanilla variety, but I'm not going to be installing freshly edited source copies over edits already edited by me regarding installed modules, thus being forced to redo all the module edits again, I'll reserve that for the final release period, but absolute strict adherence to that notion you direct so rudely at me is a mute point... you and lllori have the floor, marking this thread resolved and calling it a night...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

Thing is, he's got a point.

On the one hand, you have a modified site - so any errors could just as easily be due to modifications.

On the other hand, you've reported a bug (which is a good thing) but it's already been fixed. If it still occurs on the current branch on Github, then it's a legitimate bug, but unfortunately it isn't as helpful as it might sound like to report a bug that has already been fixed previously since it just means time has to be spent rechecking :(

Quotesounds to me like you may not want anything posted visible to other members indicating any hint of negatively impacting their perception of the product

No, he wants to focus on things that are productive. Wading through reports of bugs that are already fixed is not, unfortunately, productive for anyone since the time required to investigate this report is time not spent on fixing other bugs that are known.

I'll give ya that, those points are good ones, I'll try to get to learning the totally foreign format of github better and frequent there for info too, its really not that difficult for me surfing over there, I'm just old and very stubbornly reluctant to change habits I'm use to doing a certain way, like "learning" to get support for same product from multiple sites, or quitting smoking... whatever, I must recharge gray matter now thank you very much, later
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Empire KickAss

If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Kindred

yes, but excuse me?

Nowhere in my comments did I make ANY remarks about your competence or your integrity.
I commented that you are running modified code (which is not even up to date)
therefore, reports from you, on issues you find on your site, are of questionable validity as reports of issues -- since we don't know if a) it has alreayd been reported and solved, but you never updated or b) the issue is due to your modifications (which seems to have been the case, several times already)

I have no issue with questions on the code...  or questions about possible issues...  it's in beta after all - we want reports so we can fix them.
However, the developers do not need to be chasing down issues which they already fixed or issues which are not present in a clean installation of the code.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Quote from: Illori on January 14, 2015, 07:10:16 PM
then before you report issues, you should check on github and update to the latest version from github and test your issue again.

Ya know, I was almost convinced that maybe I was indeed losing my touch due to growing older, and I was going to let this go into lala land

So I attempted to conform and did everything how you folks have been doing it for quite some time, and rightly so, shoulda done that the first time.. so I redownloaded the latest version into a second (module free) testing site with allegedly fixed copy & started testing again...

You implied that I should not have even started this topic?... I take exception to your thinking if that was your intention?, turns out this same issue crops up in the "freshly fixed" version too, although it is from within a different source file & functional feature (viewing a topic)... so the terminology associated with the discussion about this issue wasting developer resource time needs to be adjusted from "revisiting already fixed" to "revisit ongoing issue" & "not so fixed"? if the same fix occurs in multiple source files but different functional areas of the system, yes?

wasting developer resource time? don't think so, my past yells, COMES WITH THE TERRITORY MAN, get use to it, time is irrelevant in the programming world, frequently revisiting issues becomes routine...

the allegedly fixed gender tracking problem is still broken too, but I'm pretty sure only due to a minor oversight, easily corrected, but again has to be revisited...

Attention to detail folks...

We'll all get there quicker and all on the same page by not being so snippy with each other unduly, myself included too, it use to take a hell of a lot more than this to push my buttons so quickly, I mentioned somewhere here that my hide was thick, maybe not so much anymore, huh?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Illori

no i am not implying that you should not start topics like this, but if you do test on a clean install without any mods, and on the latest source just in case it has been fixed since you last updated. also bugs should be reported to github to be sure our developers see and can fix the issues.

Kindred

Which is not to say that we can not (or should not) have DISCUSSION of issues (or possible issues) here...
Слaва
Украинi

Quote from: Kindred on January 16, 2015, 08:36:42 AM
Which is not to say that we can not (or should not) have DISCUSSION of issues (or possible issues) here...

yep... and maybe also noting that getting paid to frequently revisit issues & fix problems resulting from code other programmers have done before you came on the scene (we use to call it "Maintenance Programming"), is a VERY much different scenario to cope with than doing the same thing for no "immediate" compensation at all and only because you love doing it?... different critters altogether but in either case, paid or not, its still unpleasant to repeat things too many damn times if un-necessary...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

Quotedifferent critters altogether but in either case, paid or not, its still unpleasant to repeat things too many damn times if un-necessary...

Which is precisely why we're encouraging people doing beta testing on 2.1 to be testing against clean installs that are regularly updated...

Dug a little deeper and now getting confused again, must get my thoughts in order here before going to github with it, discovered that the copy of Display.php in the fixed version on my PC side has a fix at the line number the server side copy was throwing only one error about, so I compared the same line in both files and the line was different so uploaded the fixed copy to the server (which I assumed should have been accomplished when I FTPed/Upgrade.php'd the fixed files the first time) and checked it again... now there are numerous other errors, several were template eval related, so went back and turned template eval off, that narrowed the list down to these two...

Can't figure out why the two copies of Display.php didn't jive after the update first time, however my file editor (notepad++) did do an update recently, god I hope I don't have to go through that crap again where the ftp upload isn't overwriting changed files correctly... to remind yall these errors take place when someone only just views a topic...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Oldiesmann

Make sure you update all files, as there have been a lot of CSS-related changes lately due to the decision to drop support for IE8.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 16, 2015, 11:57:49 AM
Make sure you update all files, as there have been a lot of CSS-related changes lately due to the decision to drop support for IE8.

yes sir, did that twice i thought, now I'm feeling a bit like an amateur again...

wiped server side sub-directory of everything

uploaded new files

resent old Settings.php to server again

since the .zip file of the newly "fixed" version of SMF 2.1 contains none of the upgrade files after extraction, the upgrade.php procedure obviously cannot be performed yet, sure, i have copies of those in other sub-directories of my PC, but I was under the impression those were suppose to be extracted out of the .zip just like the rest? anyway, since the old cookie was still active in browser and nothing really changed about settings, refreshed page in browser to index page, ok admin account still logged in, checked error log, good there weren't any...

navigated back to board listing, clicked to view only topic available again, looked in error log again, it was ok if i remember correct...

then i navigated to a different page or something happened that triggered the error log count indicators on admin menu option to function, so that apparently is ok (referencing other thread here about admin error log counter on buttons)

then something I saw prodded me to log out and back in to see if there was any differences for some reason, BIG OOPS, now I can't log back in to ANY account at all (there are 3 available), when you enter the login info and hit return, it churns on it a bit and returns to index page with no changes, still a guest

and even after manually uploading the missing upgrade files, attempting upgrade several times failed, it can't seem to change directories to to install path reporting it as non-existent... bull, i doubled checked it three or four times and its not a chmod issue either

you catch my drift here i hope, this particular procedure should really not be quite so difficult?, trashing support for ie8 or not, we move 3 steps forward then fall backward 2 steps?, even tried uploading Dbextra-mysqli.php to sources directory and attempted repair_settings.php, it runs seemingly ok but still unsuccessful at logging in...

my test site is located at http://www.rjventure.com/WPC_testsite2

feel free to attempting a new registration/login if you like, i started to try that but fell short of completion because need to find another email address that's not already being used on the fake account but it looked like the screens were all intact to do so...

gonna smoke the rest of this cigar & take a long nap to recharge gray matter, then back at it again later folks

oh yes, almost missed it, also seeing a mess displayed on the quick reply section area while you are viewing a topic...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Advertisement: