News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to restore original IP in SMF while using CloudFlare?

Started by jackc, January 15, 2015, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackc

I have tried the Bad Behavior mod but it doesn't work. Bad Behavior mod settings:

Enable Reverse Proxy: On
IP call to Reverse Proxy: CF-Connecting-IP

Also see someone else with this problem: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=532447.msg3783480#msg3783480

I do not want to debate the usefulness of CloudFlare here.

Edit: Adding this to the top of my index.php file fixed it without the need for a mod:

if($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']){
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];
}

margarett

IIRC, CF has a SMF mod at their site that fixes this issue ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Thank you guys for this, useful... I'm with yall, still evaluating how useful CF is myself... we'll watch it for a while longer here....
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

butchs

Quote from: jackc on January 15, 2015, 08:34:46 AM
I have tried the Bad Behavior mod but it doesn't work. Bad Behavior mod settings:

That setting in Bad Behavior is only for when Bad Behavior does a search.  The settings allow the correct IP address to show up in the Bad Behavior visitor log.  The Bad Behavior setting has absolutely nothing to do with any other log that is not part of the mod.

You will need the Cloud Flare for SMF mod to view SMF logs.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

How about this?

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170876-I-can-t-install-mod-cloudflare-and-there-s-no-plugin-to-restore-original-visitor-IP-What-should-I-do-

"If you can't install mod_cloudflare, or if there is no plugin available for your CMS platform to restore original visitor IP, you would want to put this code in your site in or before the <body>:"
Damon August 21, 2016 14:19
<?php if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'])) 
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];
?>

Can it use for smf? and what file should be fix?

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

solarisjedi

Thought I would add to the thread here, I realize it's old, but this comes up on google results.

Put this in Sources/QueryString.php just before where it checks if $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is set. On SMF 2.1 RC2 this is line 251

if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'])) {
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];
}

This will make the entire board compatible with cloudflare without any other mods or server config as QueryStrings is the first Source loaded.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

2.1 has functionality for this in the Security page... where you can select which one you want to use, including CloudFlare...

albertlast

To had this on auto detection didn't sound wrong to my eyes.

Massl

Quote from: albertlast on July 11, 2019, 01:29:56 PM
A pr got open to this for 2.1
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5732

Hi, has been included in RC3?
Even if I select "Reverse Proxy IP Header: CF-Connecting-IP" with 2.1 RC3 I only see cloudflare IP.
Thanks

Kindred

what version of RC3 are you testing?   the distributed one form this site or the one from GitHub that is almost RC4?

According to the merge note, it was not merged until October...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Massl

Hi Kindred, I'm using the distributed one form this site.

There is the option but it doesn't work correctly.

Kindred

Quote from: Massl on April 26, 2021, 08:46:53 AM
Hi Kindred, I'm using the distributed one form this site.

yup, and that is the "issue" -- that release was made before the merge.

There have been several hundred commits since the RC3 release on this site. During Beta dn RC time-periods, the download from GitHuib is almost always a better option.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Massl

OK, I applied this change https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5732/commits/5a5dee8e33e66fff883ba587e3c98418dede6d97 to QueryString.php but it still doesn't work.
I also cleared the cache (SMF + CF)

Can you confirm that with the github version it works correctly?

Massl

Also with RC4 I see only Cloudflare IPs, has anyone tested this bug?

SD-X

Quote from: Massl on August 04, 2021, 12:47:12 PMAlso with RC4 I see only Cloudflare IPs, has anyone tested this bug?
I hate to bump this, but even in 2.1.1 this is still an issue for me too. None of the RC's ever resolved it for me after the feature was added either.

I can also confirm that using RC4 prior did not fix it.

Advertisement: