News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Moving my forum index to my home tab

Started by Bruce the Shark, January 18, 2015, 06:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce the Shark

I have created a page on my navigation bar called advance topic with my boards and images next to them, however now the contents there which i am quite happy with i wish to move it into my home button.
just wanted to know is there a easy way to do this?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

Kindred that wasnt helpful ... I know your team is doing bad or something is going wrong with what I see in whatever sport your watching, but consider his other posts do you think that helps him :P

Also editing subs.php works for 1 part of what he is asking.

He wants to move his forum to well forum and use his own page as Home but using his code.

edit

I didnt think about this till now but you could use a portal such as Simple Portal, create a front page block that uses html and copy the required code in.   You would need to tweak your code but should do as you wish.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

?? Huh?

He asked how to mive some stuff in his menu...

I don't see anything in that request about a homepage outside the forum or anything...

And FYI, my team was winning from the start and never looked back....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

and he asked about page as well ... evidently we both read something different :P

and your team may be winning but your not happy with some of the calls :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

Lol... They won... Superbowl, here we come...   And the refs in any sport always make bad calls. ;)
I swear they do it in purpose, so the fans have something to complain about.

Anyway...   Yeah... I think bruce needs to more clearly state what he is actually trying to do.

Edit. Damned autocorrect
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

Quote from: Kindred on January 18, 2015, 11:08:18 PM
Lol... They won... Superbowl, here we come...   And the refs in any sport always make bad calls. ;)
I swear they do it in purpose, so the fans have something to complain about.

I know what you mean I have stopped commentating on Rugby when I watch it as the ref is usually blind, I stick to posting when my team scores ... 6 Nations is coming up so expect alot of rugby starting in February

Quote from: Kindred on January 18, 2015, 11:08:18 PM
Anyway...   Yeah... I think bruce needs to more clearly state what he episode actually trying to do.

Well he asked me how to explain it better so I told him after a few questions and he seems to have used his own way of posting instead.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bruce the Shark

fyi
I'm still working on it.
i haven't figured out the solution yet, so that's why i haven't reported it back.

kat

I have to confess... I haven't worked out what you want to do.

I'm reading it as you having created a page called "Advanced topic" and you want the "Home" button to link to that, instead of the forum home.

If that's right (Which I doubt), you'll need to butcher this, in the file that Kindred mentioned.

'home' => array(
'title' => $txt['home'],
'href' => $scripturl,
'show' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
'is_last' => $context['right_to_left'],
),

If that's not what you meant, I have to say that I haven't got a clue what you DO mean... :P

Bruce the Shark

I'm reading it as you having created a page called "Advanced topic" and you want the "Home" button to link to that, instead of the forum home.

'home' => array(
'title' => $txt['home'],
'href' => $scripturl,
'show' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
),

[/quote]

Egg-Zack-lee 
thats what i want to do K@ but i was thinking of starting all over again and putting all the contents this time first in the forum home instead of redirecting it, but still i am not certain if this is a good practice to do.

However looking at this code above if i where to redirect it would i need to alter this......to

'home' => array (  my url...advance topics  )
            'title' => $txt['home'],
            'href' => $scripturl,
            'show' => true,
            'sub_buttons' => array(
            ),

would this be correct?

Kindred

you don't want any sort of redirect involved.

you would modify the href, which is currently set to $scripturl,  to point to whatever you want.

However, I would tell you that modifying the home is probably a BAD idea.   I would recommend doing what I did on fx-sabers...   add a new "site home" button instead.
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

I done it as suggested but the landing page when i first call up my forum it start out on my original home page which is blank.
If i placed the content in the href and set it to show 'true'
It does work if i press the home tab but my concerns are as i was reading this topic
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=480206.0
the url is only used if it is to be redirected to an external site, which this isnt
I also seen your  forum with the new site home tab on the navigation bar that you added and i was thinking of this as well but it looks to me this is a external website that you created, if i am correct.
I didnt quiet have this in mind

I still have an issue when the forum first initializes even though the home button seems to be working as should

Bruce the Shark

Bump
my home page is still not loading correctly.
I have set the subs.php as mentioned but still the main entry into my forum isn't showing.
I need to hit the home tab for this to reload

Kindred

Sorry Bruce, but what you just said doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Please include the actual url so I can see what you are talking about?
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

I can show you my forum but i prefer not to show anyone here as i am yet to complete my forum.
Unless i can send you a personal pm
you will then see the home tab and the advance topics on how they are dispalying

Deaks

By what I understand he has changed the home button to his page and for this case say its home.php now thats good if they click that but internal links are taking him to index.php not home.php.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Ρουνικ on January 31, 2015, 10:43:23 AM
By what I understand he has changed the home button to his page and for this case say its home.php now thats good if they click that but internal links are taking him to index.php not home.php.

yes this is whats happening.
But when you first enter the forum the screen is completely blank.
If you press the home button the screen refreshes and then the contents shows up.

if this was for an example an ordinary web page i am able to adjust the navigation bar to pretty much to my liking and have it working  in many different ways but since this is a forum the coding in the subs.php that needs this adjustment becomes a bit more involved for me. Again i am not a coder.
Although i have altered this if sort of not working out the way it should be.

Kindred

Sorry... Maybe I am just being dense... But I still don't understand your issue.
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

yes its difficult to explain

I have an image to show you.

This is what happens when you first enter my forum

kat

I'm not sure, here...

I believe browsers, if you don't stipulate a precise file, look for index.php/index.htm/index.html.

If it doesn't find them, it kinda goes "Durrr" and does squat, or gives some error.

So, if your site is at http://www.brucethedeadshark.com/home.php just going to http://www.brucethedeadshark.com is gonna make the browser brain-fart.

If you hit your "Home" button, you're telling it to go to a specific file, so it finds it and does it's stuff.

Maybe you should have an index.php file, which loads home.php?

That's if I've understood what's going on, here. :)

Advertisement: