News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

multipage topics displaying replies from the first page on the last page

Started by AEnterprise, January 22, 2015, 10:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEnterprise

Quote from: Kindred on January 22, 2015, 02:51:07 PM
yes, I didn't expect the 2.0.9 upgrade to fix that...   THAT issue is related to something else, entirely...
I wanted you to do the upgrade for your own security

unfortunately, without FTP or at least host control panel access, I am not sure what we can do...   since this does NOT happen on any other installation that I have ever seen and you claim to have no mods installed. You also indicate that guests and some users see the issue, but you do not...   

So, something is incredibly screwed up, somewhere in your system... and direct file and database access is likely to be the only way to fix things.

Side note:   you have removed the version from the copyright statement in the footer... but
http://mod-buildcraft.com/forums/index.php?action=credits
still shows it...   so - if you think that you are preventing anything by removing it, you are unfortunately confused... since the spammer or hacker can just check that page...

didn't knew it was also displayed at that page.

also i'm not convinced this is an issue in the database. it shows up fine for me as admin so could this be something caused by permissions? that the permissions system is messing with it somehow? i have no idea how it all works internally but it's the only thing that would explain why i'm not affected

Kindred

I can not conceive of any permission that would be causing that behavior...

I am not convinced this is a problem with the database either...
but, in order to debug this, someone with developer skills would have to access your files and database...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AEnterprise

Quote from: Kindred on January 22, 2015, 03:11:34 PM
I can not conceive of any permission that would be causing that behavior...

I am not convinced this is a problem with the database either...
but, in order to debug this, someone with developer skills would have to access your files and database...

for the files those are just all default smf files, only changed file is the one where i removed the file number from the footer but nothing else, as for the database in the admin forum console there is a button to download a backup, would that do? i'm on my phone atm but i could download the database that way and upload it and post a link here tomorow if you want

Kindred

AEnterprise,

you would seem to be incorrect.

if the files are base files from a clean installation and there are no mods installed --- then there is NOTHING that I can even conceive of that would be causing your issue.  Seriously...   this has never been reported before, in hundreds of thousands of installs... There is nothing in the system or permissions that would cause this behavior by any configurable setting...

therefore, there MUST be something about your installation that is incorrect.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Well, I see an ad in your BoardIndex so it's hard to believe that there are no MODs installed... At least some manual coding does exist ;)

The counting of replies inside the topic is correct and that information is stored in "topics" table, which is different from the posts themselves (in "messages" table).
The ID of the posts is the same between the page 1
http://mod-buildcraft.com/forums/index.php?topic=890.msg9644#msg9644
and page 10
http://mod-buildcraft.com/forums/index.php?topic=890.msg9644#msg9644

Which is *really* awkward. I can only suggest you to run the "maintenance" tasks: find errors and recount totals... Other than that, I would need to access the database itself...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

AEnterprise

for file modifications i duno if anything changed then, as i said i'm an admin but not the site maintainer who installed the forum he went missing, when he made me an admin i asked about the forum and he said it's just a regular default instalation, hence why i thought nothing would have changed, i thought the advertizement was a default thing

i downloaded a backup of the database from the admin interface and put it on dropbox, i hope it helps:

Illori

it is a really really really bad idea to offer your database to random people and expose all your users information and your posts/threads to the public. the link has been removed and you should remove the db from your dropbox.

AEnterprise

Quote from: Illori on January 23, 2015, 09:48:55 AM
it is a really really really bad idea to offer your database to random people and expose all your users information and your posts/threads to the public. the link has been removed and you should remove the db from your dropbox.

you guys told me you needed it to fix the issue, i thought it only contained the posts and that users and such where stored elsewhere

Illori

that means you give the person the database via a pm and make sure it is password protected, or you give access to your hosts control panel so they can look at the setup as is.

all that info is in the database, not stored elsewhere.

Kindred

no... I told you that we would probably need ACCESS to the database AND files...

and, as Illori notes: Your database holds EVERYTHING for your forum.  The files control the display of that data from the database
Слaва
Украинi

AEnterprise

Quote from: Kindred on January 23, 2015, 10:10:07 AM
no... I told you that we would probably need ACCESS to the database AND files...

and, as Illori notes: Your database holds EVERYTHING for your forum.  The files control the display of that data from the database

alright i misunderstood it then sorry, i don't know much about how stuff like that works

margarett

it is a really really really bad idea to offer your database to random people (...)
Indeed. As I could see that (I didn't) anyone with evil intentions could too...

Please zip and password protect your database export (using a strong password!) and then PM me the link to it and the password. I will check it later.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

AEnterprise

Quote from: margarett on January 23, 2015, 11:06:08 AM
it is a really really really bad idea to offer your database to random people (...)
Indeed. As I could see that (I didn't) anyone with evil intentions could too...

Please zip and password protect your database export (using a strong password!) and then PM me the link to it and the password. I will check it later.

as the database contains ALL forum info i can't just hand it over to you or anybody. however someone else on the forum that i know and thus can trust with the database can redact it, removing info like user ip's passwords and other sensitive data, could you tell me what parts of the DB you need and we'll send you that, nothing else will be modified but i can't just hand over the database with user sensitive info in it

margarett

It's your call and I respect that ;) Of course I can say that I had access  to dozens of databases in all these years and of course I didn't do anything with them except fixing the issues behind ;)
Good luck

AEnterprise

Quote from: margarett on January 24, 2015, 06:32:30 AM
It's your call and I respect that ;) Of course I can say that I had access  to dozens of databases in all these years and of course I didn't do anything with them except fixing the issues behind ;)
Good luck

what part would you need then or would you need it all? you can get the db but first the things like passwords would be removed if you need the entire db

Arantor

He is an official SMF team member - if you cannot trust him, you cannot actually trust anyone else here.

FWIW I'd trust margarett with raw access to my site.

margarett

AEnterprise

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2015, 07:45:06 AM
He is an official SMF team member - if you cannot trust him, you cannot actually trust anyone else here.

FWIW I'd trust margarett with raw access to my site.

it's not realy a matter of trusting him, it's more about that the users of the forum trust me to don't hand out there information to someone they don't know

Arantor

Which is still a trust issue however you slice it... because you're effectively saying there's a lack of trust to not abuse that information. :(

AEnterprise

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
Which is still a trust issue however you slice it... because you're effectively saying there's a lack of trust to not abuse that information. :(

i have been talking to users of the forum on irc and they said no to handing him a un-redacted db and i respect that, i am not gona give him a full database containing paswords and such if the users say no

Advertisement: