New Members not being assigned a member group?

Started by Sunshine Meadows, January 26, 2015, 07:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Meadows

Before I ask my question I want to say a BIG thank you to everyone involved in providing and supporting SMFs  Thank you :-)

Could anyone tell me how I make it so a new member automatically gets placed in a Newbie member group? Currently new members are not being assigned to any group.

If new members go into a post based Newbie member group I can then set their first post to moderation and catch any spammers who spam and also I can keep an eye on the number of people joining then not posting.

We did have registration set to Admin Approval, manually checked and banned spam accounts before allowing them in but this meant we ended up with over 20 pages of banned accounts and it irked me. I was also worried that with that many ips banned we would end up rejecting applications from actual people.

To summarise I want to have registration set as email activation, new member assigned a post count group that is moderated, new member makes 1 post and if that passes moderation the post count of 1 moves them to the less restrictive Junior group. It works apart from having to remember to manually assign new members the right Newbie member group - can that be automated ?

Thank you

Arantor

New members are always assigned into two groups out of the box in an unmodified SMF. Firstly, they are assigned into the Registered Members group, and secondly into the 0+ post count group (unless it has been modified)

If they are not registered into those groups, something has been modified.

Sunshine Meadows

Hi,

They are being assigned into a 0+ post count group (Newbie) but not into a Registered Member group eg Regular Member or Newbie Member.

It could well be some setting I changed when I was creating new Registered Member groups back 2 or 3 years ago. I only have one mod which is the You Tube one and I am using SMF 2.0.8

Do you have any suggestions for how I can fix the issue?

Thank you

Kindred

sunshinemeadows,

I think that you have misunderstood something...

Every member is *ALWAYS* assigned to a post-count group. period. always, evgen if the post-count group is "hidden". This is done by the system and is automatically checked and recalculated each time the user makes a post.

Additionally, EVERY member is assigned to the default membergroup...  normally called "regular members"
You can not delete this group. You can change the name of it... you can change the permissions... but the regular members group is always there.

If a user is not specifically, and manually, assigned to another group -- regular members determines their permissions.
However "regular members" is never displayed on the user profile or in the user's mini-profile in posts.  It just IS...

Depending on your set up -
users can sometimes select their own group (like our "support helpers" group, which a user can choose to join.
users can sometimes subscribe to a group using the subscription system. This can be for a time period, for a payment, etc...  it's a subscription.
additionally, users can sometimes request to join a group which has been set up as a requestable group.

finally, if a user is set as the moderator for a specific group, that user can then add other users or approve requests from users to join.

If you are trying to assign users into a specific group, OTHER than "regular members" or the post-count based group, then you probably want this mod
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1804
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sunshine Meadows

Thank you Kindred,

QuoteIf a user is not specifically, and manually, assigned to another group -- regular members determines their permissions.
However "regular members" is never displayed on the user profile or in the user's mini-profile in posts.  It just IS...

I see what you mean so I will take another look and see if the mod you suggested will help me set things up the way I want it to be.
:)

Sunshine Meadows

:-)

I installed the mod and went to Admin > Registration > Settings where is had a new field

QuoteDefault membergroup
The ID of the membergroup that all new members should be assigned to upon registration.

It wanted a numerical value so I went to Admin > Members Groups, looked in the top section and clicked on Newbie this put the address in my web browser and the number I needed was at the end of that address ie 20.

I created a new membership and yippee the first post that account made was moderated and the second wasn't but additional posts are kept under moderation until the first post is let through.  8)

I like it when a plan comes together.
Thank you both for the help you gave me to sort this.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I really hope 20 is not a post count based group. Because if it is... making it a primary group has bad consequences.

Kindred

from her statements, I get the idea that she has set up two normal membergroups for her users and wants them to be placed in those groups (newbie automatically and then graduated (manually) to full member once they have proved themselves)
Слaва
Украинi

Sunshine Meadows

QuoteI really hope 20 is not a post count based group.

It is under the Regular Groups heading and not post count based but it is good that you mentioned it.

Yes setting post based Newbie to moderation was not enough I need to have the new members going into a (Regular Groups) custom mod made Newbie Group,

I tested it with two new member accounts and the way it is set up a Newbie can continue posting in moderation but nothing hits the public boards unless either I or the boards moderator lets the posts through.

:-)

SMiFFER

Quote from: Kindred on January 26, 2015, 08:19:13 AM
Additionally, EVERY member is assigned to the default membergroup...  normally called "regular members"
You can not delete this group. You can change the name of it... you can change the permissions... but the regular members group is always there.

I am looking to find exactly that.
But when I go into Administration Center »Membergroups »Edit Membergroups
then I can edit every usergroup - besides the "Regular Members"-group.
I just can't seem to see it. It's just not shown.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Arantor

You can't edit it, it's  not a real group. It's merely a placeholder for "doesn't have another group".

SMiFFER

So there is no practicable way to list what users belonging to REGULAR USERS can see
as all other usergroups have such list, too?

-> a list which boards REGULAR USERS can see would be a start really.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

GL700Wing

Quote from: SMiFFER on January 21, 2018, 05:36:48 PM
So there is no practicable way to list what users belonging to REGULAR USERS can see
as all other usergroups have such list, too?

-> a list which boards REGULAR USERS can see would be a start really.
You could install the Default Membergroup mod, create a new membergroup named "Regular Member", and configure it to assign all *new* members to that group.

If you want *existing* members who don't already have a membergroup to be assigned to the new membergroup named "Regular Member" you'd need to update the database manually.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

SMiFFER

Thank you, GL700Wing.
Yes, I could. But that is only yet another workaround - and I am already using a workaround similar to that.

Quote from: Arantor on January 15, 2018, 11:11:09 AM
You can't edit it, it's  not a real group. It's merely a placeholder for "doesn't have another group".

That does not change the point.
Somewhere must be stored what those users "who do not have a group" can see, e.g. boards.
And that is visible with one simple click for just any OTHER group, just not for this "non-existing" group, and that is my point:
This information should be visible and easier accessible - no matter if that group is only a placeholder or not.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can change board access from Admin -> Forum -> Boards -> Modify boards -> (select a board) -> Modify

You will see there is a section called "Allowed Groups" with a checkbox setting for each group, including regular members.

You can also edit the permissions for regular members just like any other membergroup in Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> General permissions

It is a little odd that board access can't be defined through the membergroup, like you can for other groups - but it's still not impossible to do :)

If you want, the Reports -function in SMF will also make handy reports of access and permissions by group:
First go to Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features, turn on Reports and save.
Then go to Admin -> Maintenance -> Reports

Hope this helps :)

EDIT:
Also, at least if you Enable permissions for post count based groups, you can use them instead of "Regular members". ( I'm not sure if this is actually needed or not... ) This way you do get to set access by postcount group as well for those not belonging to any other group, normally through the groups and not having to go through boards one by one.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: