News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

smf chat or shoutbox?

Started by notaduck, February 03, 2015, 11:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notaduck

hey. i was wondering if it is possible to install a chat room in smf 2.0.9?
i would prefer it should be freebecause we are only 10 people there is gonna use it

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

notaduck

year but there is only one for 2.0.9 ? and that is a facebook lookalike chat and i need a chat room   :o

Kindred

almost any mod for any 2.0.x version will likely work with any other 2.0.x version.

and there are several of them... but they are typically called "Shout boxes" not chatrooms.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

what if he wants a chat room itself not a shoutbox?

notaduck, I would suggest a shoutbox it will be alot easier.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=585

This is the most common used one and does work with 2.0.9 :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

well, he used the term "shoutbox" in the thread title...  :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

no he said smf chat OR shoutbox indicating he is looking for one or other :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

notaduck

i was just looking fr what ever will work :D

But i ran into a problem :S

I can't install packages ? i am getting this message
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory....

and my permissions is :
sudo chmod 777 Smileys Themes agreement.txt Settings.php Settings_bak.php avatars cache Packages Packages/installed.list Smileys attachments

chown -R www-data.www-data /var/www/smf

Kindred

1- the chown may not actually work the way you expect...
2- does your Packages directory also have a temp and a backup subdirectories?
Слaва
Украинi

notaduck

i don't have the temp folder buti am gonna create it now ;)
is there any way to remove the chown again ?

notaduck

or do i have to make a clean install?

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

notaduck

i am my own host ;)

but i have no problems at all with chmod it is the chown command there is my problem and i wanted to know if it is possible to remove it again?

Illori

you want to remove chown? do you understand what chown is? you cant remove a chown, but you can change the ownership to some other user.

notaduck

i must admit i dont know what chown exactly is.
i am pretty sure i do now ;)
but is the default chown of my smf folder root? because then i could just revert chown to root instead of www-data.www-data
should chown be set to sudo chown root.root then ?

Illori

IMO if you dont know what something like chown should be, you really should not be the one hosting your forum. you are just asking for your forum/server to be hacked. also this forum is not for server configuration issues like this, you could find a forum about it and get more help but i bet they would tell you not to host the server yourself.

notaduck

Well if i ain't playing around with server configuration, how could i ever learn it then ?
that is just the same to say if you cant walk then you shouldn't try it you could fall.

But thanks for the help ;) i figured it out now

Kindred

to explain a little bit...

the "proper" ownership of files really depends on how your server is set up.
In some cases, php loaded files are owned by "nobody"
in other cases, it's the account owner...
in still other cases, it's the root and in yet others, it's whoever the apache owner is configures to...

So, it's hard to say what the "correct" setting for you would be.

And -- if the files are "properly" owned, then 644/755 for chmod is sufficient - you should not need 777
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Quote from: notaduck on February 04, 2015, 06:06:17 AMi figured it out now

So are you all set with your original question? :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

notaduck

yes ;) i have marked the topic as solved now
Thanks for the help

notaduck

Quote from: Kindred on February 04, 2015, 08:30:46 AM
to explain a little bit...

the "proper" ownership of files really depends on how your server is set up.
In some cases, php loaded files are owned by "nobody"
in other cases, it's the account owner...
in still other cases, it's the root and in yet others, it's whoever the apache owner is configures to...

So, it's hard to say what the "correct" setting for you would be.

thanks for the explantion! i think it was in the setup it wa smf there was promting me to set chomod 777 for xxx files

And -- if the files are "properly" owned, then 644/755 for chmod is sufficient - you should not need 777

Advertisement: