News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Small bug: Text inputs with no text colour assigned

Started by Mercival, February 08, 2015, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercival

Hello, I've started testing out 2.1 and have found a problem with the theme that impacts usability for some user (hopefully this is the right board to report it in!). Fortunately it's a pretty straightforward one to fix, just something that gets overlooked often on a lot of websites. The text input fields have styles assigned to force a particular look with a white background. However, no text colour has been assigned for them in the stylesheet, so the browser uses the system default colour. For users with dark system themes this is also white, resulting in white text on a white background and therefore the user can't see anything they're typing in.

Putting color:#000000; in the "input, button, select, textarea, textarea.editor {" block of the stylesheet seems to fix all the instances of this problem as far as I can see, but I'll keep an eye out for any other parts of the theme with this issue.

Arantor

Thanks for reporting :)

* Arantor has pushed it to Github for the developers so it doesn't get overlooked.

Antes

I'm bit confused since body has color: #222 it shouldn't be falling back to something else ? Can you write a way to reproduce it.

Arantor

Nope, Chrome says it is inherited from 'initial' rather than from body's colour so you would actually have to style it specifically. This makes sense because controls are not entirely handled by conventional CSS but partially by the OS (different browser/OS combinations do provide different controls)

Antes

that's probably yet another Chrome issue... I can't reproduce it with IE/FF but I'll add color no need to be stubborn.

Advertisement: