News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Medals/awards/badges

Started by Mynamehere, February 08, 2015, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mynamehere

I am looking for a mod which enables the awarding of special honor badges to members. I found one, called "Award mod", but this does not pass all the pre-install tests.

What the mod should do is:
a) Admin uploads images, and gives them a name.
b) Admin or members of a specific usergroup can award/take away these badges in the member profile
c) The badges all appear in the signature and profile page.

Note, that ANY member should be able to get ANY combination of these badges.

420Connect.co.uk

there is a very similar mod for 2.0+ although it is a paid mod.
avail @ smfhacks.com
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Antes

Mynamehere

No budget, zo the one from 420 isn't an option. The github seems nice, but I can't get it installed. Even unzipping and uploading doesn't work. Supposed that SMF sees it automatically, but it doesnt

mano82

same problem here. the github one is not working and I've not the competence to get it uploaded.
Moreover the paid one (smfhacks) is again an autoaward system, so not the one we wanted...

420Connect.co.uk

I've been following this thread as I'm also interested in alternative mods and have just tested out the one from github and got it installed and working.

Sort of wish I hadn't now as I prefer parts of this MOD to the one I'm already using..

*anyone with the know-how, feel free to merge the best parts of both!*

anyway, I can probably assist in getting the github one uploading any working for you 2 below, if you'd like? - I've been helped on these forums, more times that I can count and feel I should give something back :)
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

mano82

any help is really appreciated 420!

Actually I've downloaded the zip file from githup, but if I upload it thru my SMF panel interface, it says it probably is empty and don't upload it...

I'm running SMF 2.0.9 with SimplePortal 2.3.6

420Connect.co.uk

Are you able to access your files through ftp/cpanel?

mano82

420Connect.co.uk

Okay, this should work..

in cpanel find your way to:  /forum/packages directory
create a new directory(folder) in /forum/packages and name it "temp"

Using cpanel: upload the .zip from github into /forum/packages
then whilst in /forum/packages/, unzip the contents of the .zip into a new folder inside /forum/packages

Refresh your browser once or twice, then visit "Package Manager" via Admin (on your forum)

- Scroll down the page and you should see the awards mod and to the right of it you can click 'Install'

:) Let me know how you get on  :laugh:

Kindred

the problem with github packages is that they create the mod two layers deep.

you can fix this by
downloading the github zip to your local machine...
unzip the package and then note the extract puts everything into a mod_name directory
rezip the package with all of the files, but DO NOT zip as part of the mod_name directory... in other words, all of the files and extra directories should be at the BASE LEVEL of the zip.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mano82

thank you guys! now I managed to install it. In fact it was simply needed to level up the package in the zip file, and it got loaded without issues.

thank you Kindred for the hint.
thank you 420 for your help!

PS: the mod is really cool and exactly what I wanted! [happy!] ;D

Mynamehere

I will very much appreciate the help 420... when work calms down, that is...as I am currently stressing out :)

420Connect.co.uk

not to worry guys, happy to help out and I like to try and make the steps clear :P  O:)

Mynamehere

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

I uploaded the files in the Zip to a folder using Filezilla (no cpanel, or at least: I don't know where). The above is what I get... and it says so much, that in the end, it says nothing.

Also:

8.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.russian.php    File not found
   9.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php    Skipping file
   10.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.russian-utf8.php    Skipping file

This scares the ****** out of me, so not proceeding untill I have another backup done.

Kindred

Those files won't actually generate the error on installation... Language files are optional, since they will not be present in all cases...  It is likely that some OTHER foe is generating that error warning... And THAT on will have to be manually updated by you.  The language files can be ignored unless you are actually using that language.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mynamehere

So how would one know which foe that other foe might be?

Kindred

Lol.. Darned autocorrect....

Well, what OTHER errors appear in that install screen?
Слaва
Украинi

Mynamehere

Believe it or not, the host has changed a few things, and it got installed. I managed to upload an award, which now shows in the profile of te assigned user. But how do I get it to show in the signature bar? I have settings to "empty" at  above/below avatar, but "awards" to the signature, with 9999 beign the max being shown. But nothing changes...

420Connect.co.uk

Upload a copy of your Profile.template.php & your Display.template.php and I'll have a look for you if you're still having issues with this. ;)

Advertisement: