Forum hacked and spammed and now I can't access

Started by Grant, February 09, 2015, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant

Hi Folks,

Been having a hell of a time with all my forums since November last year. The latest has been to fill the forum with spam and when I access the index page I get the following (I changed root name to xxxx here). I've currently managed to edit the settings file and put the forum into maintenance mode so the people at Lunarpages where I run my server don't kick all my websites off. anyway, here's the message I'm getting:

2: strftime() [<a href='function.strftime'>function.strftime</a>]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PST/-8.0/no DST' instead
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 870

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best
Grant

Edit: sorry, the address is http://www.clintools.com/forums/

Kindred

Well, the good news is that you were not hacked.

As for spammers, please read the FAQ article on how to prevent spam...

Regarding the error message...   Talk to your host about setting the timezone properly on the server...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bruce the Shark

Illori

Quote from: Bruce the Shark on February 10, 2015, 03:00:46 AM
Looks like one of your files have been removed.
Have you tried restoring
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

no file was removed, the error message would be much different it one was.

to fix the error message the op needs to contact their host.

Grant

I can't believe I missed coming back to people on this. Just saw it in my 'people replied to" section. My apologies. Yes, the host had to fix things their end. Thanks Illori and Kindred and Bruce.  8)

Regarding the spamming, I eventually went through and deleted it all by hand (1 whole day). I really must look up this "I am not a robot" tick I see everywhere these days.

Cheers,
Grant

Advertisement: