News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Custom boarder for new post

Started by Bruce the Shark, February 12, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce the Shark

Hi
Just wondering is it possible to have a custom boarder set up when someone adds a new topic.
I was thinking in the lines of a set frame.

Kindred

custom boarder?

You want someone to stay at your house when they make a new post?

Or maybe you want a picture of Shawn White?

Come on... you have been around long enough that you know how to properly ask for help... and what you posted is not it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bruce the Shark

That a typical reply i was expecting from you Kindred.

You were not that helpful the last time i posted a topic when i asked for help refering  that you didnt get what i was after even though you knew the answer all along.

Otherwise this is the only way i can post this topic

No i dont know how to better put this into words.
If you think you can do better, then go ahead i be more than happy to re post this topic again.

Does that mean i need to ask for help from another member in writing up sentences for me or drawing up a picture for you so that you can pretend to better understand me.

Illori

might help if you asked for a border and not a boarder... there is a difference in the 2.

Kindred

Add a border, where?
When someone adds a new topic?

A set frame?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bruce the Shark

Ok so what so there is a typo error and NO i wasn't planning to board no one.
Yes so i stuffed up and yes there is a difference in both.
Both of you's should have know better in what i was referring to.

I am referring to a set frame
The topic should have been better written than, what i just wrote.
But to better explain it here i will have to post a picture of what i am looking for later as i am at work right so i can't where i am.

Otherwise if not i will be under attack again for NOT being specific.......pft

Bruce the Shark

I had this template in mind.
I am not sure if it can be done so that it can adjusted to suit the contents being placed within.

Chas Large

Can I ask if you want to identify:

1. New Posts
or
2. New Topics
or
3. Original Poster in a New Topic

Just they are all subtly different and we would need to know where (topic/index/list) you want this highlighting to be displayed.

Thanks.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Kindred

still not exactly sure what you are asking for, Bruce.

To me, that looks like a standard portal block..   shows online members and recent posts (or recent topics)

all that is already possible with any of the existing portals.

If you mean that you are looking for a "floating" block... with ajax (e.g. real time) updates....   nope...  no way you should do that. It would *KILL* the server.
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Chas Large on February 13, 2015, 04:57:06 AM
Can I ask if you want to identify:

1. New Posts
or
2. New Topics
or
3. Original Poster in a New Topic

Just they are all subtly different and we would need to know where (topic/index/list) you want this highlighting to be displayed.

Thanks.

I was thinking about having it only for New Post

Also i wasnt really sure if simplePortal would be able to do such a template.
I was thinking about asking this question over there. rather than getting more feedback here first if there was a more simply way.
As far as a floating block, i'm not really sure what you mean but the way i am seeing it, this would depend on how much contents the user writes before posting, then yes it would have to adjust to suit the frame.

Cosmetically this would look much better, than the boring layout that's there right now.

Chas Large

Well Simple Portal won't do that as far as I'm aware, I use it and it doesn't affect the post template. Your screen shot shows you're not using the standard SMF template, have you looked for a more suitable one? If you have, can you tell me what template you are using as default, I may have used it and I've modified a few though I would strongly suggest getting one of the template creators to edit one of theirs.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Kindred

I believe that it can, Chas...

can't you set up a left column block and make it only visible on the post?
Слaва
Украинi

Chas Large

If I'm right, Bruce wants a new boarder surrounding a post when someone makes a new post. Simple portal can add a column of blocks and make it display on a board but they won't necessarily be related to that post/topic, it would be a list of recent posts/topics or top topics etc. There is a custom HTML block but again it's used for specific information not a certain topic/post. I've been using SP for many years and I've never been aware that it can display only a single post new or otherwise. Of course I might be wrong ;)

I still think a more dedicated Theme overall is the way to go, or get one that looks nearly right and recode it.

Kindred

Ok... if he is looking to update the "making a post" page via ajax so that it changes display when someone makes a new post --    we are talking a server killer for query....
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

For starters I quiet like my theme as I paid for it and plan to keep it but as Kindred mentioned this might place a great deal of stress on the server.

But something tell me a long time ago I have seen something similar in a forum but I haven't been able to quiet locate an example to show you what I had in mind but something tells me it wasn't a smf theme rather it might have been more towards a Wordpress blog where they have these fancy border around there post and reply

Back then I did like the concept and was thinking about possible asking this question here.

But as Chas mentioned and I am quite aware of this feature "Simple portal can add a column of blocks and make it display on a board but they won't necessarily be related to that post/topic, it would be a list of recent posts/topics or top topics etc. "

It's the border when making a new Post

I know for a fact this can be done, I would have thought this would be more related to the CSS stylesheet, I just don't know how difficult its going to be?

But correct me if I am wrong.

Chas Large

The style of the display is indeed governed by the CSS but also by the graphics around and behind the text. To change that requires a knowledge of the theme in use. As you've paid for the theme you're using, it might be wisest to ask the theme developer for help there. I've edited quite a few themes myself but for me it's a long and tedious task. I am not the best person really to advise on how to do it but I'm sure there are others who will take this on, maybe with the Curve theme but not perhaps with a bought in theme.

I'll bow out for now.

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Chas Large on February 14, 2015, 02:58:43 AM
The style of the display is indeed governed by the CSS but also by the graphics around and behind the text. To change that requires a knowledge of the theme in use. As you've paid for the theme you're using, it might be wisest to ask the theme developer for help there. I've edited quite a few themes myself but for me it's a long and tedious task. I am not the best person really to advise on how to do it but I'm sure there are others who will take this on, maybe with the Curve theme but not perhaps with a bought in theme.

I'll bow out for now.

Thanks Chas i appreciate all the advise and help you and Kindred have given me.
I think i will now post this in the Help Wanted section and see who may be interested in taking on such a roll.
For now i'll mark this topic as solved.
Regards
Bruce

Advertisement: