Is their a simple way to repair this?

Started by uth, February 13, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uth

Strange, it is working again.....I had edited the rejection letter and that seems to have broken the other two. I copied the code above back in and the logging out works again and the ability to register.

Is their a limit on the rejection info?

Arantor

Kindred

You obviously have a whole bunch of badly edited files.

Read the FAQ on how to load a clean set of files... And then reinstall your mods, one at a a time.

Regarding the url...muse repair_settings.pho to change the cookie name
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

uth

Quote from: Arantor on February 14, 2015, 05:15:52 PM
What *exactly* did you use?

Note pad and then when it not work directly in it.

Everything is working as it should be now, cant believe that entering a user into the data base directly could have been so devastating. makes me a bit nervous since their are a couple more users who claim they already exist and yet do not.

Will try to figure out how to get them added and not do it the way I did last time.

Kindred

So, how do they claim that they exist? And how do you know that they do not exist?

Additionally...  Do not use notepad. Ever.

Notepad++ or context are your best bets.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Synergy Hub

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2015, 08:26:13 PM
So, how do they claim that they exist? And how do you know that they do not exist?

Additionally...  Do not use notepad. Ever.

Notepad++ or context are your best bets.

We had a similar claim made.. and discovered that they had not finished registering.  i.e. not clicked the confirmation link in the email sent. 

We did not see them in the normal membership list, BUT did find them listed by clicking Admin in main menu, then going down to the bottom of that page and clicking on "Members"... it showed us the ones in question.

Kindred

In the admin, there is a list of users awaiting activation.. And those can be manually activated by the admin. Such users will not be visible in the standard memberlist and the user would not be able to log in, because they never completed the registration process.

I will note... The issues reported by the original poster can not have been caused by any database edits. Period.  It is still the wrong way to do things and, overall, a bad idea... But editing the database will not cause file errors.   Those were caused by bad edits. Ever someone manually made edits and did them wrong... Or a mod really screwed things up.
Слaва
Украинi

uth

Hello,
  Thank you for the help. I can see the members awaiting activation and they were not in that list. Even rejected each one awaiting before trying to register them through the admin console. It is possible she had tried to edit something before the car wreck, I honestly have no idea. Either way, the help is truly appreciated I am grateful for everyone who did help :)

Back to figuring out to safely add them, thanks again.

Kindred

There are only two ways to safely, properly add a user.1- use the standard registration, just like any user or 2- use the admin register a user option.
Those are the only ways to do it.
Слaва
Украинi

uth

Thank you,
   Sadly I guess that means one more data base entry :( but at least this time I will have the system backed up.

Kindred

Have you not been listening? Do not add users directly to the database. Just don't do it.

If you are having issues adding a user in the admin tool, then fix that problem, don't try to bypass it with database edits.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: