News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade problem

Started by Backesc, February 17, 2015, 09:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backesc

I use smf 2.0.9 , I want upgrade v2.1 beta but when I run upgrade.php, say this error,

Table 'u836798840_dstk.smf_moderator_groups' doesn't exist

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u836798840/public_html/upgrade.php on line 1117

Warning: mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u836798840/public_html/upgrade.php on line 1119

Notice: Undefined index: database_error in /home/u836798840/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 636

Notice: Undefined index: try_again in /home/u836798840/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 640

Fatal error: Call to undefined function fatal_error() in /home/u836798840/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 648

Kindred

You are not trying to upgrade  a live/production site, are you? ?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Backesc

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2015, 09:53:10 AM
You are not trying to upgrade  a live/production site, are you? ?

Yes i try live site.

Kindred

You most certainly should **NOT** be doing that...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Backesc

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2015, 06:41:02 PM
You most certainly should **NOT** be doing that...

No problem ı have backup. How can i convert v2.0.9 database to v2.1 ?

Kindred

upgrade.php will do the conversion...

However, it seems that your installation is missing some of the required files... or you are using the wrong conversion function.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

or the op is using the files on sm.org which is broken and should use what is on github.

thegymforum

I've got the same situation as the OP.
QuoteI use smf 2.0.9 , I want upgrade v2.1 beta but when I run upgrade.php, say this error,

Table 'u836798840_dstk.smf_moderator_groups' doesn't exist

And I get that the final word is to use what is on github, but the version on github that I'm finding doesn't have upgrade.php that I'd expect it to have.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1

I'm doing this on a (non production)  development server but with of course, the production database and files copied locally.  I was hoping to just start getting a feel for how painful an upgrade will be one day.   Appreciate any direction. 

thegymforum

Looked at it. Are you saying that upgrade is not ready yet? If so why wasn't it mentioned previously in this thread?  Or is the implication its alpha and not beta? Must have been a very obvious link to someone that knows the answer

FYI I do have. 2.1 smf setup independently that has no data. I thought it would be a good thing to test it with closer to real life situation.

Illori

that is an old topic from before 2.1 went into beta. it is still a good guide in how to use the version on github.

Kindred

most specifically, the distribution archive on github has the install and upgrade files in a SEPARATE DIRECTORY and they have to be MOVED to be run correctly.
Слaва
Украинi

thegymforum

Very much appreciated Kindred

thegymforum

I have read MANY 2.1 threads now and am more up to speed. I get now why the Dev team wouldn't want to make it straight forward to upgrade a site for fear of people applying it to their live site.  This is why I created a completely separate copy of my live site including a Dev database Strictly to see how 2.1 would work and integrate with my edits on 2.09. I extracted the 2.1 over my existing site (the Dev copy) and ran upgrade.php from the home url and got the same issue as the op. Doh!

Does anyone have an outline written up of the steps to successfully get 2.09 upgraded to 2.1 Beta? I wish I could overwrite the Source and Themes folder with the 2.1 beta and import some sql which would add any new tables etc to my Dev database and I could then start making the list of mods that I'll need to try to do again when one day RC comes into play.  If the steps are to just copy the files over, renaming settings.php to the backup name etc and running upgrade.php then I guess my report is the same primary error that the op has which was the table being missing

I appreciate the hard work the Dev team does. It's highly thankless and judging by how many people ask for when RC will be here "in the same thread" over and over. One would think that running a forum might give us empathy towards other under appreciated folk supporting smf

Kindred

did you use the archive from GitHub?
Слaва
Украинi

thegymforum

Quote from: Kindred on April 23, 2015, 02:13:14 PM
did you use the archive from GitHub?

yes.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1

edit * am actually going to start over and do it AGAIN.. just to be sure that the same results happen

thegymforum

Update, this time I pulled the files with git versus using the "Download ZIP" button on the page and it got further.

(where smf21.com is my local development website)

smf21.com/upgrade.php

'The upgrader could not find the "Install" language file for the forum default language, english.'

If I figure out more, I'll post more, maybe it'll help someone else...

edit: git details :

IMAC)(webdev)-> git status
On branch release-2.1
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/release-2.1'.
nothing to commit, working directory clean
iMac.local [~/www/smf21.com/smf21_github/SMF2.1]
(IMAC)(webdev)->
cat .git/config
[core]
   repositoryformatversion = 0
   filemode = true
   bare = false
   logallrefupdates = true
   ignorecase = true
   precomposeunicode = true
[remote "origin"]
   url = https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1
   fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "release-2.1"]
   remote = origin
   merge = refs/heads/release-2.1

and, I think I figured an error of mine out... I'll update a bit later... prob best to ignore this until I do. Sorry

thegymforum

Ok got it!

Steps that worked 

Reminder: DON'T DO THIS ON YOUR LIVE SERVER! IT'S BETA!

Note, ~/www/smf21.com/htdocs is where the cloned version of my live forum is served from with a copy of the database

mkdir ~/www/smf21.com/htdocs/cache
chmod -R 777 ~/www/smf21.com/htdocs/cache

// make sure Settings_bak.php is in the correct format, a copy of the current Settings.php
// make sure your local site is stable prior to attempting the upgrade

// needs a github account
git clone https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 ~/www/smf21.com
cd ~/www/smf21.com/htdocs
// copy all of the files from the cloned Beta over my forum
cp -R ../smf21_github/SMF2.1/* .
// copy the upgrade related files
cp -R other/* .

touch db_last_error.php
chmod -R 777 db_last_error.php
chmod -R 777 attachments
chmod -R 777 avatars
chmod -R 777 custom_avatar
chmod -R 777 Packages
chmod -R 777 Smileys
chmod -R 777 Themes
chmod -R 777 agreement.txt
chmod -R 777 Settings.php
chmod -R 777 Settings_bak.php

http://smf21.com/upgrade.php

// follow the steps..... get paid!

Thanks again Kindred and others for trying to help me. I hope this helps someone else

Illori

the upgrade etc files are in the "other" folder, you left out moving them out of that folder.

thegymforum

I had that under the "comment"

// copy the upgrade related files

Advertisement: