News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

FUDForum 3.0.4

Started by margarett, March 06, 2015, 07:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

This is a beta, don't just scrap your working forum at the end of the process!

I picked a local install of FUD 3.0.4, created some content and, using the existing converter for FUD 2.6.x, I tried to get something working for this software.

What the converter will convert:

• Members
  • Categories
  • Boards
  • Topics/Posts
  • PMs
  • post attachments
  • polls

Known issues/limitations

• Notifications: no idea about this :P No notifications are converted
  • Passwords: passwords are *not* converted (check below)

Password recovery
Since passwords are not converted, you need to follow the usual steps for password recovery. If you cannot email yourself a new password, use this trick from the wiki:
QuoteResetting an admin users password

Use phpMyAdmin (or similar) to locate (within the "_members" table) the member whose password is to be reset. In the database field entitled "passwd", enter a new password using plain text.
Then, clear out (erase) any existing content in the database field entitled "password_salt".
The next time the member logs in (using the new password), SMF will automatically re-encrypt his credentials.

How to use the converter
* Install SMF in the same server as FUD, in a separate folder, in the same or different database
* If installed in different databases, make sure that the MySQL user from SMF is allowed to SELECT (at least) the database from FUD
* Upload the files "convert.php" and "fud_to_smf.sql" to your SMF folder
* Upload file "fud_globals.php" to your FUD folder (where GLOBALS.php is)
* Run the converter --> www.whatever-path-to-smf.com/convert.php

That's it. If interested test and let us know the outcome.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eldritch1969

Hi and thanks for giving this converter some attention.
I must say I'm more than a little scared to test this because I am not sure I won't break anything.
For instance, can the upload of fud_globals.php in the FUD folder mess up something ?

margarett

Nop. FUD doesn't care about the file and the converter only reads info from the origin. That remains untouched.
Of course, a full backup never hurts ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eldritch1969

Another question :
I have already an smf database under the fudforum one, there are only 63 tables inside (dating back from when I tried the 2.6 converter.
Can I install smf and use this base or do I have to create a new one and delete (perhaps) the existing one ?

margarett

Is it 2.0.9?
If so and if you didn't customize SMF, then you can keep the same installation. The converter empties the affected tables before it works each step ;)

eldritch1969

No, it's a previous version don't remember because I deleted the smf folder but kept the database for some reason.

margarett

If it's 2.0.x it's not a problem, the database hasn't changed.

Anyway, you need a functional SMF for the conversion, so you have to install it. So yes, delete that. You can just drop the tables and use the same database ;)

eldritch1969

Hi,
The strange thing is that I can't seem to be able to access the files from the browser. I've a permission problem I can't fix.
I've put the SMF folder at the root of the site, permissions are 755 for folders and 644 for files, which works with the other
fudforum install. I tried 775, 777 recursively ..
I am baffled...

margarett

What does it show to you? 404 not found?

eldritch1969

This :

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /SMF/install.php on this server.

And 403  Forbidden on the browser tab

margarett

Uh... You server logs should tell you why that error pops up. Or maybe ask your host?

eldritch1969

Right, made a stupid mistake, SMF installed and working ! :)

* If installed in different databases, make sure that the MySQL user from SMF is allowed to SELECT (at least) the database from FUD

They are both under "bartopmania", so it's the same database, right ?

margarett

If that's your database name, then yes ;)

eldritch1969

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of FUDforum 3.0.4. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: Incorrect database name ''

How do I fix this ? :)

ps at the top of the windows there was this message :

Notice: Undefined variable: DBHOST_DBNAME in /web/bartopmania/smf/convert.php(451) : eval()'d code on line 1

Notice: Undefined variable: DBHOST_TBL_PREFIX in /web/bartopmania/smf/convert.php(451) : eval()'d code on line 1

margarett

Did you supply the correct path to FUD? It seems it can't read the information...

eldritch1969

I think the path is correct, there's a problem of database name
The error that was received from the Database was: Incorrect database name ''

In fact there's one "big" database and under it there's "bartopmania" ---> FUD db
Under "bartopmania" there's                                             "bartopmania_SMF" ---> SMF db

Seems I have to fill info in the convert_php file ? DBHOST ...something ,

margarett

No, you don't. I see what you mean now.

In phpmyadmin (recent versions at least), when you create several databases with the same prefix, it groups those. So you don't have any database named "bartopmania", you have 2 or more "bartopmania_xxxxxx" databases.
Anyway, whatever database name you have, the converter should read it from GLOBALS.php so that's not the problem.

Could you please PM me your cPanel login details? Now that I wrote the converter, I'd like to see it in action :P

margarett

OK, now I see your problem (sorry, I could just look at this today...)

The version of FUD that I installed had some kind of "link" from GLOBALS.php to FUDforum/include/GLOBALS.php, so putting fud_globals.php on the root was enough. In your case you have an include to the "real" file so it fails to load the info. Give me some minutes ;)

margarett

OK, so your conversion is complete, I fixed the file fud_globals and, since I was there already, I performed the conversion. No errors :)

Please go to your SMF (you need to reset your password...) and perform the maintenance tasks --> find errors and recount totals.
Let me know if you find any problems ;)

For security reasons I removed the converter files, you can find them attached to the first post of this topic ;)

eldritch1969

Wow ! Impressive job  :)
I reset my admin password by emailing myself a new one and that worked perfectly.  8)

However, there are some pictures that don't show up, quite a lot of them actually, after I ran the maintenance tasks
you mentionned. I get that kind of thing :

index.php?=getfile&id=776&private=0

Also, will it be possible to "replace" the existing FUD install by this one or any request to an existing message will have
to be re-directed ?
Last : will members have to reset their passwords to log in ?

Thx and kudos to a very nice job so far ! When I see the kind of support you and other top members provide,
I am really grateful and happy to be able to switch to this great forum platform !  :D

Advertisement: