Error 500: Internal Server Error - On NEW threads

Started by valis1952, March 10, 2015, 07:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valis1952

Had a bit of a disaster a few days ago, but thanks to this forum, virtually everything is back up and running.

However, although there is no issue posting to existing threads, when anyone attempts to start a new one, there is a long period while nothing seems to happen, then the screen reports:

Error 500: Internal Server Error

Then once you go back into the forum, the post has been made okay, and there's no issue with further posts in the new thread.

I'm getting a daily error_log compiled at the moment. What do I look for? I tried searching it for "Error 500: Internal Server Error", but can't find anything like it.

Thx in advance.

Kindred

I suggest you check with your host. They should be able to tell you what is triggering the server error.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

Is the waiting time really significant? As in 30+ secs or so?
If that's the case, you're likely getting the 500 error because the php handler gives up as it reaches it's execution time limit; and then Apache can't do much else other than throwing a 500 as it doesn't know what to do with the prematurely ended execution.
Can have a variety of causes (usually code, but also I/O problems...), host may be able to see why indeed; but it might help to specifically look for issues like that and see if it can be debugged from there if it's the case.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

valis1952

Yes, waiting time could be around the 30+ seconds.

I can now get the error_log, but just looking for "Error 500", etc, turns up nothing.

What am I looking for?

margarett

If it was code, you should see something like this:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in ..................
But you would not see an error 500 in this case because PHP "kills" the script in a controlled fashion.

I would suggest you to duplicate your database, then load a fresh set of files to a temporary folder.
Copy Settings.php and Settings_bak.php to that temporary location and run repair_settings in it.
You will have a duplicate setup of your forum, where you can check if the issue still happens even with clean files. That should allow you to check if it's something related to your forum code of not...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

valis1952

I'm reluctant to copy and reinstall at the moment, but I did extract this from the error_log:

[Wed Mar 11 02:30:40 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server "/hsphere/shared/php54/bin/php" aborted: (first read) idle timeout (60 sec), referer: http://myforum.xxx/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=14
[Wed Mar 11 02:30:40 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/hsphere/shared/php54/bin/php", referer: http://myforum.xxx/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=14
[Wed Mar 11 02:30:41 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /hsphere/local/home/valis/MyForum.xxx/forum/default_html
[Wed Mar 11 02:40:44 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server "/hsphere/shared/php54/bin/php" aborted: (first read) idle timeout (60 sec), referer: http://myforum.xxx/forum/index.php?action=post;board=1.0
[Wed Mar 11 02:40:44 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/hsphere/shared/php54/bin/php", referer: http://myforum.xxx/forum/index.php?action=post;board=1.0

Is this anything to do with the issue?

margarett

It seems related because it has action=post/post2, although the timeout should be 60 seconds, not 30.
Do you have any MODs that affect posting? Or a list of MODs?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

valis1952

Sorry to post again ... it appears to be Akismet.

margarett

It is possible, yes. If there is a script in place that tries to connect to an outside service and doesn't time out before PHP does, you can have such issues...

Kindred

Akisemet is mostly useless anyway. ..

Btw, one pet peeve of mine. . Why do people post a screen shot when asked for a mod list? Please use TEXT when posting information. Screen shots should onlh be used to illustrate an error or request, not to convey textusl details.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

valis1952

Sorry to feed your peeve.

But, thanks for everyone's help.

Advertisement: