News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

improved attachment uploading

Started by TomW, March 18, 2015, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I'd like to see a status bar to appear during the uploading of attachments to show to the user that the upload is actually working.   Right now there's no feedback to the user, even in 2.1

Suki

I've been thinking about it, unfortunately, it is a considerable task as it involves completely refactoring two, both crucial, aspects, posting and attachments.

The issue is, those crucial aspects are closely related to each other, (not only in context but in the actual code too) to perform a separation of concerns/logic requires vast changes and a significant refactoring, that will certainly take a toll on the the release plans :(
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

br360

There is a mod for this already, but it's not free- http://www.smfpacks.com/au

TomW

Quote from: br360 on March 19, 2015, 04:51:19 PM
There is a mod for this already, but it's not free- http://www.smfpacks.com/au

Thank you; I had not heard of this mod before.

TomW

I reviewed the info for this mod, and it does provide a status bar.  Unfortunately it doesn't offer a resize option which was the other aspect of attachment uploads that I need.  Yes there is a mod for this, but I've found that it doesn't handle large files very well. 

Thanks for the responses.

青山 素子

This type of feature is likely to be considered in a rewrite, but not in an update of the current core code. As Suki said, it impacts a very complex and important area of the code.

However, it's certainly a good idea and worth considering for future work, IMO.

Note: I'm not a developer in the forum project and so the above is just my personal opinion.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: