News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mobile friendly vs past

Started by Low, April 02, 2015, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low

Hi all, I was wondering if the new 2.1 default theme is considered mobile friendly by Google? I've tested 2.09 and Google said it wasn't.

Are there any themes based on default (not heavily restructured) that ARE responsive?

I used SMF back in the day and remember all of the mobile/print pages being indexed instead of the actual site, just wondering how far along we've come?

Kindred

There are some responsive themes for 2.0.x... but there are issues, not the least of which is... mods for 2.0.x are NOT responsive.

As for google... their scan functions in this case are actually quite stupid. I would go so far as to call them idiotic.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

abraamz

Hi
I got a message from google: Starting 21 of April it will use   the Mobile-Friendly Test in its general website index. I dont know if that will make a lot of difference but I believe its important. Are there any suggestions or solutions for this problem? My forum is on smf 2.0

Ricky.

2.0.x series themes can be made responsive but not 100% as that would require a lot rework, few folks however also did that.

Now about Google, thing is that now Google will also count how much site is usable on mobile device for rankings.. atleast what I understand and its practical too as now more people use internet through mobile than PC.

saurabh1938

I am sorry to sound arrogant in my post now, but arrogance of few on this forum will cost us, few decision makers on simplemachines kept ignoring the fact that world is moving towards mobile and responsive theme is a must.

Now google decides to punish all those who do not update and innovate where the world is moving towards. Few big ecommerce sites who have 50% sales from web have decided to shut down their websites and will be app only and we on simple machines always thought that if you can open the website on mobile then it is fine, responsiveness is rubbish.

I don't know how the various communities will survive after April 21 when google decided to punish hard, because you can't argue with google, a single monopoly of internet.
Visit my forum : www.gotripperz.com

Antes

and Curve2 (SMF 2.1's default theme) is responsive.

Kindred

no one is IGNORING the move towards responsive themes.
as noted, 2.1 has a responsive theme by default.

Making 2.0 fully responsive is a nearly impossible job -- made even more difficult because every single MOD would have to be made responsive as well -- and most mod authors are not going to do that -- or are not updating their mods at all.

That being said, there are several responsive themes available for 2.0 - and Antes has created a set of instructions to make the Curve theme more responsive than not.

Quote from: Kindred on April 02, 2015, 09:00:08 AM
As for google... their scan functions in this case are actually quite stupid. I would go so far as to call them idiotic.

That doesn't mean that they are not going to try and "force" matters, since they are the 800 pound gorilla...   but they are still acting like idiots to do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

peterwaalker

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2015, 05:08:09 PM
no one is IGNORING the move towards responsive themes.
as noted, 2.1 has a responsive theme by default.

That being said, there are several responsive themes available for 2.0...[b/]

please can you provide me with links to the responsive themes
thanks

Kindred

not specifically ---   we don't have a category for them in the theme site... and bloc's four themes are on his site not ours...
Слaва
Украинi

abraamz

So my options are:
1) upgrade to 2.1, and use the default responsive theme I just checked and
QuoteNote: As this is in development, we do not recommend running SMF 2.1 on a production site.
2) Find Antes's set of instructions to make the Curve theme more responsive than not (easy link for that?)
3) Several responsive themes exist for 2.0. Use one of them. 4 of them are at Bloc's site and the others?

I would suggest, someone who can, to create a themes category titled "responsive". Also some links to other responsive themes for 2.0 somewhere not available to this site would be nice. Or we can ask the 800 pound gorilla  :)   ;)

Antes

Well lets count this as leak or not but we are preparing an official mod for Curve theme to make it responsive (not 100% but make it more usable and shut Google!).

So far my & teams (internal) tests are good, and google giving green to those changes on their tests. I think it'll work well on Curve but not sure about other themes. I have no interest in testing other themes one by one, authors can adopt the changes to their themes since the mod we are going to release is also open source.

peterwaalker

Quote from: Antes on April 17, 2015, 05:33:36 AM
Well lets count this as leak or not but we are preparing an official mod for Curve theme to make it responsive (not 100% but make it more usable and shut Google!).

So far my & teams (internal) tests are good, and google giving green to those changes on their tests. I think it'll work well on Curve but not sure about other themes. I have no interest in testing other themes one by one, authors can adopt the changes to their themes since the mod we are going to release is also open source.

Okay thank you very much Antes
Please I will be very grateful. Anecdotal themes and curve themes do not select mods. Anecdota was built from curve2 themes.
I can't wait to lay hands on this official release. I'm sure some other persons as well as i, myself might wondering aimfully when this is going to take place.
Any ways thanks a lot.

Topman

I read that 2.09 was "mobile friendly" on this forum when looking to add a package to make my 1.19 pass the google test.
Now I have just tried it and it isnt!

Kindred

who said that?

it is not "mobile unfriendly" -- in that it displays acceptably on any of the 9 devices I have tested on.... but it is not mobile optimized and it is not responsive -- and we have always said so.  That is why 2.1 DOES have a responsive (curve2) theme as the default, and that is why Antes and the team have worked on a Curve/alt that is somewhat more responsive than the standard Curve.

As to your comment, abraamz.
Adding a category to the customization site is not actually a simple task - otherwise it would have been done already.
Слaва
Украинi

peterwaalker

Is there any one by Antes I can lay my hands on before the official release of a mod since we do not have tine . Google says 21st.

Kindred

It will be available shortly.

Do be aware - using this mod/theme will likely cause some mods to fail to install
Слaва
Украинi

abraamz

Quote from: Kindred on April 17, 2015, 08:34:01 AM
As to your comment, abraamz.
Adding a category to the customization site is not actually a simple task - otherwise it would have been done already.
Adding a category seemed to me as easy as creating a new board in an SMF forum. If it's not then adding that request to a to-do list for someone with the  rights and will to do it would be fine, thank you. My guess is that responsive is not going to leave us alone soon...

Kindred

you have no idea what a mess of coding make sup the customization site --  it is not a part of SMF's core forum product.

So - no - adding a category is nothing like that.
Слaва
Украинi

Sea Mac

Well, Google is just going to have to spank most of my sites: because I rely on a few security MODs that keep spambots from registering (successfully) - and those MODs call external databases with the corresponding hits in performance.

I think they are going to spank MOST sites ... proving their standards aren't 'real world realistic' at this time ...
and my site ranking goes from lowest ... to lowest. ("Shot at and missed ... Sh|t at and hit." ... thanks Google.)

Deaks

actually last time I looked adding a category is quite simple to do on Theme Site (not so much on Mod Site as they are coded differently), this was one of the many reason for a combined cus site to be made ... and we know how that is going :P

HOWEVER that being said, I would speak against adding a responsive theme option, as everyone will chose it even if the theme is not responsive, and it wouldnt benifit anyone.  Now as someone will say the team can change the category, well due to internal factors its not as simple as that, of course I wont say anything else on that.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Bloc

It seems my sites are fine atm:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tinyportal.net%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dforum
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.protendo.org%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dforum
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bjornhkristiansen.com%2F

Running SMF2.0, SMF2.0(ish) and custom/inspired-by-SMF2

Quote from: Poύνικ on April 17, 2015, 07:51:25 PM
actually last time I looked adding a category is quite simple to do on Theme Site (not so much on Mod Site as they are coded differently), this was one of the many reason for a combined cus site to be made ... and we know how that is going :P

HOWEVER that being said, I would speak against adding a responsive theme option, as everyone will chose it even if the theme is not responsive, and it wouldnt benifit anyone.  Now as someone will say the team can change the category, well due to internal factors its not as simple as that, of course I wont say anything else on that.

That sounds confusing... :)

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antes

well if you (anyone) count TinyPortal's site mobile friendly you (anyone) surely doing it entirely wrong. Not saying theme is not mobile friendly (it seems so) but its totally incompatible with TP, it makes the site look broken, worst of all you can't navigate the boards.

Bloc

Quote from: Antes on April 18, 2015, 03:19:40 AM
well if you (anyone) count TinyPortal's site mobile friendly you (anyone) surely doing it entirely wrong. Not saying theme is not mobile friendly (it seems so) but its totally incompatible with TP, it makes the site look broken, worst of all you can't navigate the boards.

Its exactly my point - the google "test" shows it as mobile-friendly, but its of course not. Its just a responsive theme, but have nothing done for the blocks.

The Protendo site on the other hand, is  a true responsive theme and will ahve its "blocks" that way too - but it won't show the fact (in that test) that links becomes buttons on touch devices thanks to media queries and the dpi check there. For a normal desktop it just folds to the browser size + some hiding of elements. Again, the test really only checks if responsiveness is there..and I suspect you could even get away by adding just the "viewport" meta tag, though I haven't tested it, to make your site "mobile friendly".

That would at least be the quickest way to make sure your SEO stays put lol.

Antes

^ lol so true.

Well I didn't see a portal adapted SMF 2.1 's div styling yet, Since I'm really interested in helping one of the portals to convert their styling. Just need 1 more month before getting rid of real life stuff (exams/thesis/presentations/translation works etc...)

Advertisement: