News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

vBulletin 3.8 to SMF, any link

Started by blackshark, May 11, 2015, 08:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackshark

Hello,

In the sticky threads, version 3.8 conversion is missing or I am not able to find. Is there any documentation ?

margarett

Hi ;)

I removed your other topic, no point in having 2 discussions about the same subject ;)
For reference, here is what you wrote:

QuoteHello,
I own a forum with threads: 20,252, posts: 318,234, members: 18,043

It is vbulletin 3.8. It works pretty stable but not fast enough. I have no idea about SMF, I have just found this forum, do you advise SMF for my forum?
Total visits are about 1k per day. The site runs on a VDS

About for the VB 3.8 converter, you can check some topics in this board, they are easy to spot (eg: 3.8. "something" on the subject :P )
You can pick the converter itself from here: http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=vbulletin (choose the 3.7 version, it should work the same)

Unfortunately, conversions are tricky operations... Chances are that you encounter problems. Yet, with some "love and attention", we usually get through it ;)

Finally:
Quotedo you advise SMF for my forum?
Well, you are in SMF's official forum, I am a SMF Team member so, yes, I strongly advise SMF ;D
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jade Elizabeth

So just to be clear, 3.8.6 should be fine on the 3.7 converter?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jade Elizabeth

Awesome, thank you!

Why don't the membergroups move over? Is that on purpose or an unfinished feature?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

margarett

It is mostly on purpose. Membergroups are handled much, much differently between softwares so what the converters do is just to understand administrators as it is fundamental ;)

Jade Elizabeth

Oh okay. I figured that it might be one of those things that would require a LOT of processing...first to get the membergroup, then each member in it...depending on how that's stored you might need to get really technical too....especially if there's primary and secondary or what ever groups!

Advertisement: