News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

OAuth SMF authentication for other websites?

Started by Jakobud, April 08, 2015, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakobud

I can't tell if this is a feature that SMF has or not. Lets say you have a website hxxp:myforum.com [nonactive] that uses SMF and has a bunch of users.

Does SMF have any sort of OAuth authentication scheme setup where a 3rd party website hxxp:coolwebsite.com [nonactive] could use OAuth and have users login to hxxp:coolwebsite.com [nonactive] using their hxxp:myforum.com [nonactive] credentials? Or a way for users hxxp:oncoolwebsite.com [nonactive] to link their account to their account on hxxp:myforum.com [nonactive]?

This is similar to what Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc offers, where 3rd party websites can request users to login using their Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc logins.

Does SMF have functionality like this or are there plugins for it or anything like that?

Illori

2.0 has openID, this has been removed in 2.1 though.

if you want to log in using any of those websites you need a mod to do so. it will not be part of SMF core.

margarett

It is, however, possible to use SMF to serve that authentication to your other website with SMF's REST API
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=458832.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jakobud

Quote from: margarett on April 08, 2015, 07:14:05 PM
It is, however, possible to use SMF to serve that authentication to your other website with SMF's REST API
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=458832.0

So one could make a REST request using a username/password combination to the forum website's API and get a true/false return?

margarett

I'm not totally sure about the details but it has to be something like that, yes ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: