SMF2.0.7 No more email notifications when a new member joins

Started by SatTrkr, April 10, 2015, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

I am no longer receiving email notifications when a new member joins. It has been working fine up until about two weeks ago. I checked the configuration and all seems correct. I have "Notify administrators when a new member joins" checked.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Kindred

And are you receiving notifications of pm receipts? Or new posts?

Have you checked with your host?

What are you using for mail? SMTP or phpmail?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

Right now there is not much traffic because the forum is starting up. The last notification I got for new registrations was March 19, 2015. There have been new registrations after that date but the notifications stopped. The last PM I got was March 23, 2015 but there have been no new PMs after that date because no one has sent me one. I have not checked with my host - Godaddy. I am using a gmail account. I also noticed that no one was receiving a message I sent from the email link in the profile summary of a particular member so I changed my email address at gmail and things began working in that area. I am using SMTP. I checked the error log and there is nothing logged.

What would I need to do with regard to checking with my host - Godaddy?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my issue.

Regards,

John Eccles
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Kindred

well, first, and foremost, you should upgrade to 2.0.9 since 2.0.9 is a security release.

Second, GoDaddy is KNOWN to have issues sending forum emails...

third...  I have heard several people with complains about using a gmail account that is separate from their actual domain
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

Okay, I will look into upgrading to version 2.0.9. Is there anything special I should do to my  forum before doing the upgrade or can I do it directly from my running forum? I will backup the database from Godaddy and also do a forum backup of course.

SatTrkr

I have backed up the forum and the database. I am looking at the download section. Do I use the large upgrade download version?

vbgamer45

Just upgrade though the package manager in your forum there should be a link to download the update in it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

SatTrkr

I went to the package manager but I don't see how to upgrade to 2.0.9. Here is what the package manager says:

Memory issues encountered with SMF 2.0.7, some MySQL 5.6 compatibility issues and a rare bug with the memberlist search feature have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.8.

If you have any problems applying it, you can try to use the upgrade file posted on the downloads page - although, any modifications you have installed will need to be uninstalled when you use that method.
Please post on the forum if you need more help."

As you may gather I have never used in before since I started out with version 2.0.7.

vbgamer45

Due this first
"Memory issues encountered with SMF 2.0.7, some MySQL 5.6 compatibility issues and a rare bug with the memberlist search feature have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.8."

Then you will see the prompts to install 2.0.9 after you install the 2.0.8 patch.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

SatTrkr

Okay, so I did the upgrade and all seemed to have gone well. The main page of the forum shows up and at the bottom it tell me that I am running version 2.0.9.

However, when I click on Admin I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting ']' in /home/content/07/11576007/html/heavenscape.com/Forums/Sources/Subs-Menu.php on line 195

When I click on Moderate I get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting ']' in /home/content/07/11576007/html/heavenscape.com/Forums/Sources/Subs-Menu.php on line 195

Looks like the same error. I get the same error when I click on Profile, My Messages, and the link that says there are 12 Members awaiting for approval.

Regards,

John Eccles

SatTrkr

SatTrkr

Okay, so I decided to check the SMF 2.0.9 file and the file size was 13kb while the file size for the one on the website was 9kb so I replaced the file with the SMF 2.0.9 version. Not sure if that was okay to do but now all the links work. Let me know if this is okay to do and why didn't this file get updated properly. The original SMF file size was also 13kb.

John

Kindred

Well, if you had mods which affected that file, those mods are now only partially installed and ll cause further errors.
Слaва
Украинi

SatTrkr

I don't believe I installed any mods. Even so, the rule was that when upgrading to 2.0.9 that all mods would be lost anyway.  I didn't want to add any mods to complicate things later down the road. Can you tell from the file I attached what may have happened and if it is, indeed, corrupted?

John

Kindred

No.  No mods are lost during a PATCH update....  Only during a full, file replace upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

vbgamer45

Replace the Subs-Menu.php from the orginal SMF install the file you attached was only partial file missing a lot.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

SatTrkr

That's what I did. I copied the SMF version 2.0.9 Subs-Menu.php that was extracted from the zip file and copied it to my server in the Source directory. All is good now.

Now I am waiting for a new member to join to see if I get the notification which is one of the main reasons for me to have upgraded to SMF version 2.0.9 as previously suggested in post #4 of this thread. (I suppose I could log out and setup a new member from here to test it out - I may try that later today).

Thank you for getting me on track to SMF version 2.0.9.

John

SatTrkr

Okay, I couldn't help myself. I logged out of my forum and generated a new user and I DID receive the new user notification. So all is good again. Thanks to all for your help in solving this problem. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Eccles

SatTrkr

Well, this morning I received a new member but I DID NOT receive the new member notification once again. Not sure why this is happening. It used to work flawlessly before (SMF 2.0.7) and I never had a problem like this in over 400 memberships.

Steve

That may be so but but with configuration and security changes in upgrade packages issues with certain hosts may occur.

Quote from: Kindred on April 10, 2015, 05:32:32 PMSecond, GoDaddy is KNOWN to have issues sending forum emails...

Do you have a lot of mods installed? I ask because I'm thinking a fresh set of files may be in order.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: