SMF2.0.7 No more email notifications when a new member joins

Started by SatTrkr, April 10, 2015, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

Have you done what "kevincool" indicated and, if yes, what was your results? I have not changed my host yet as I am trying to see what your outcome turns out to be.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

SatTrkr

Godaddy called me yesterday to check to see how things are going and if I was going to renew some of my domains that are about to expire. After talking to him about that he asked me if everything was going okay and if there was anything he could do for me. Well, I thought this would be a good opportunity to bring up the SMF problem I am having with email notifications on new user registration. I told him the problem I am having and he said to call tech support and they will help. I told him I have already done that three times to no avail. Then I told him that SMF is recommending me to switch hosts to one of the SMF approved hosts and Godaddy is not one of them. I told him that I may be doing that however, you all have the SMF app advertised as compatible with your servers. I said to him that the SMF people are telling me that Godaddy is the problem and Godaddy is telling me the SMF is the problem. So I am not getting anywhere with this and since you called me I need you to help me with this since you have just offered to help me with any problems that I might have. Well, he said that I really need to talk to tech support. I told him we are going in circles. I said to him the SMF is telling me to dump Godaddy and choose another host. I think whoever in your company has advertised that the SMF app is compatible with you all should be notified that SMF is steering me away from you to another host because of the perception that the Godaddy hosting is not compatible with SMF. You should be concerned by this and if I were you I would get in touch with those in support of SMF before you lose me as a customer and quite a few domains that I would also be transferring. My cell phone battery was getting low and I was in the car and finally my cell phone died. He must have thought I hung up on him. Let's see what this telephone conversation brings. I have a feeling that he will not do anything about it and that his call was just a job that he has to do but he really has no interest to do what he was there to do - that is to help me with any problems. The saga continues. I will keep all posted as to any word from Godaddy about this.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

margarett

I would like to point out some things which are not correct... Of course you had the conversation already but, in any case, I would like to clarify this.

QuoteSMF is recommending me to switch hosts to one of the SMF approved hosts and Godaddy is not one of them
This is NOT true. SMF (or Simple Machines "the organization") has no "approved hosts". We don't officially endorse any host over any other host. What we (we - SMF Team members and some other people in these forums, NOT officially representing Simple Machines) have is an opinion based on personal experience and experiences from other users on the "quality" of the hosts we know.
Because GD has a history of overselling plus some historically "unfixable" problems (that are magically fixed if the same code+DB is moved to another host), the prahse "find another host" comes out a lot :P

QuoteSMF is steering me away from you to another host because of the perception that the Godaddy hosting is not compatible with SMF
Again, SMF is NOT steering you away from GD. Some members (myself included but I'm just me, I'm not SMF), based on previous experiences, advise you to search another host because these problems have been seen in the past and were magically fixed when the users moved to another host.

Quote(...) if I were you I would get in touch with those in support of SMF before you lose me as a customer
Unfortunately this will not happen because we tried in the past. There is a(nother) known problem with GD, the infamous "Forbidden 403" which is related to mod_security. We did contacted them in a not-so-distant-past in order to investigate the problem, even willing to "fix" it on our side (when it should be clear that THEIR rules were/are to blame as it doesn't happen in other hosts), but we never get a reply...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

Bottom line is that I still have the problem and it seems that, based on user experience here on SMF, changing hosts will magically fix the problem. I am working with Godaddy but I am not making any progress. I tried to work with SMF but your answer is to change hosts. I am not doing that until I know exactly what is causing the problem. Changing hosts is NOT a trivial process and requires a lot of work on my part to do that. Am I guaranteed that changing hosts will fix this problem? I have not heard that assurance yet. In the meantime, I am now forced to check my new member status daily and I send my registration instructions directly via email and do not send it via SMF anymore since people are not receiving those messages all the time.

Don't get me wrong - I think that the SMF Forum software is a great software package and I like how it works. It is just this one little problem that cropped up recently that is a little annoying. However, this is free software so I can't really rock the boat at all. I can deal with it but I just wish there was a better solution to this problem than switching hosts. I have reviewed the hosts recommended by SMF and I have no idea which one to use. I have been using Godaddy for a very long time and is my first hosting site I have ever used.

Illori

on good hosts the email function works fine. no one on godaddy has found a real fix to this issue other then changing to another host. if the issue was with SMF we would find a fix and patch it. if you change hosts most likely the host will migrate all your websites for you free of charge so very little work for you to do when things get moved.

margarett

SatTrkr, I see your point but I think you didn't get mine ;)

Yes, you still have problems and I understand you feeling "bouncing" between us and GoDaddy. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it... Our code (the SAME code you have) runs perfectly fine in other hosts and even in GD (which makes me think that they have configuration differences between servers) so it's normal that we find nothing to fix on our side...

But my main point didn't go through...

QuoteI have reviewed the hosts recommended by SMF
Again, please understand that this is *WRONG*. There are no hosts recommended by SMF.
We have a board dedicated to hosts, where:
* Users can ask host-related questions
* Hosts can announce themselves (with some rules)
* Users can post reviews of the hosts they use/used/know

The difference might seem subtle but it is absolutely fundamental. What you might say is:
QuoteI have reviewed the hosts recommended by SMF community

Let me try to refresh this discussion... With all this discussion (email problems, upgrade problems, host problems) I'm a bit lost :P
Which mails are you currently not receiving (or, saying it differently, your forum isn't sending)?
What is your email configuration? PHP/SMTP?
What is your configured webmaster's email address? (don't put it here: what I mean is, if your domain is www.forum.com, is your webmaster email address something like [email protected]?)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SatTrkr

Look, my forte is not learning about hosts. All I need is a forum to support my project. I only know Godaddy and they have been good to me for many, many years and I am not about to switch. The forum is working good with the exception of:

"No more email notifications from the forum when a new member joins"
"Sometimes users are not receiving the registration process instructions when I send them from the email link in the new user's profile summary within the forum"

I am using gmail for my mail server and it is setup as smtp for outgoing and pop for incoming. The outgoing server requires authentication. The incoming and outgoing server requires secure connection (TLS 1.0). Incoming port is 995 and the outgoing port is 465.

margarett

And what settings do you have in
index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=settings

SatTrkr

I navigated to that link via the location of the forum.

index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=settings

It has the following settings:

Enable Mail Queue - Checked
Maximum emails to send per minute - 0
Maximum amount of emails to send per page load - 0
Mail type (PHP default) SMTP
SMTP smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port 465
SMTP username john10906

I reset the password in case it became wrong

Let's see what happens as that is the only change I made. 

margarett

How odd. That's seriously F-d up :P
You have activated mail queue but 0 mails to send per minute, as well as per page load.

You have Gmail's SMTP but it's not properly configured... You should have tls:// or ssl:// before smtp.gmail.com

Does ANY of your mails get sent? If I register in your site, will I receive the confirmation email?

SatTrkr

After I updated the email password I logged out then I registered a new user. I did not get the new user notification.

Based on your reply I added tls:// in front of the smtp.gmail.com (which now looks like this: tls://smtp.gmail.com), saved it, logged out, added a new user and I got no email notification of a new user. I waited at least 5 minutes for the email to come thru.

What value is supposed to go in the two fields that are now set to zero? I am not sure what those values were in those fields before when the notifications were working but it is zero now. In the interim a new user called [email protected] joined and I did not get an email notification. I decided to set both fields to 5. I then logged out and made up a new user and I did not get a new user email notification.

marg edit: removed Underdog's email. It's not cool to disclose such info publicly, spam bots love that ;)

Chen Zhen

SatTrkr,

If you are not able to get your SMTP gmail to work properly after adhering to Margarett's instruction may I suggest something else?
Does your host provide a management application such as Cpanel?
If it is necessary to use SMTP why not set up an email via your host panel (ie. Cpanel) & configure your SMTP settings to use that?

gmail SMTP:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.0

localhost SMTP (may have to enter appropriate name & p/w for email):
https://myonecent.wordpress.com/2007/12/21/smf-email-configuration-settings/

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

SatTrkr

Thank you for the ideal. However, I am in the process of moving from Cheraw, SC to Warrenville, SC. I spent the whole day moving and I am really beat. I will pick this up tomorrow. Sorry to disappear but the past three weeks have been very hectic. I am closing on my Cheraw house on Monday afternoon. I will be out of internet access for Monday and Tuesday. Right now I am in Warrenville, SC. Once again, thank you for helping out with this.

Chen Zhen

SatTrkr,

There are also other suggestions on the second link regarding a possible php.ini setting for your gmail SMTP to work.
You might want to ask your host to adjust that unless you have access to that file and can do it yourself.

(ignore the above as it only applies to Windows.. openssl just needs to be installed in your Linux installation)
The SMTP settings for a localhost email work as I use it on 2 sites.

Good luck with your move and congrats on the newer house.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

margarett

Don't you have something mail-related in your error logs? Not long ago I was helping setting up a gmail account and, for each failed attempt, I got an error in my log.

I don't remember anymore but I think that Chen Zhen gave you is outdated. Now you should use tls and not ssl (methinks). And the port might be 465 or other that I don't remember anymore :P

Illori

even if you are using gmail to send the message at the end, it is still going to use the mail server on the host to send it to your gmail server. it is still a host issue. really configuring SMF to use gmail is not ideal when your host should provide a working email server.

SatTrkr

The error log is 879 pages long. Is there a way I can find the file and PM it to you as an attachment or attach it to a reply here?

Illori - Sounds reasonable what you are saying. If you are familiar with Godaddy how would I find information on their email server? I suppose I could call Godaddy and get that information. I am moving and will be offline for the next few days. Won't be back online until Tuesday at the very earliest.

Kindred

or you could sort out the email related errors and post those...

or you clear the log and wait for the next email error...

as an important task, you should clear that log fairly regularly anyway - checking for errors which can be fixed versus simple user bad password errors.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

How do I sort out the email errors in the log? It only gives me these sort options:

Error Log

Administration Log

Moderation Log

Ban Log

Spider Log

Task Log

Log Pruning

So I adjusted log pruning to 7 days for all selections.
For the other logs I deleted all which left anything newer than 7 days intact.
After doing that the error log is still 879 pages long. If I go to delete the error log it looks like it will delete the whole log.

Advertisement: