News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How are users seeing each others email???

Started by lewism, April 11, 2015, 12:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewism

Do not reveal contact details of members to guests <checked>
Allow viewable email addresses  <not checked>

I've gone through everything I can possibly find, including the theme user settings in trying to hide users emails from each other. Yet, some seem to be telling me they are able to send each other messages?

I want to prevent users from being able to see each others emails as well as preventing PMs.

Justyne

Well, they probably still have the ability to send PM from what you mentioned.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Illori

that also does not stop users from making that email visible and having the envelope show in the mini profile and in their profile so users can email each other that way.

lewism

Yes, both good answers, thanks.
I found the issue, it was in each users 'Allow users to email me' option.

Now I am trying to find out where I can disable this globally so existing and new users no longer have this function.

Kindred

I do not believe there is an option to disable it globally.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

nope there is not, but in 2.1 the ability for the email to be visible at all has been removed completely.

Steve

Quote from: Illori on April 11, 2015, 07:45:35 PMnope there is not, but in 2.1 the ability for the email to be visible at all has been removed completely.

You're saying that even if the member wants to allow it they can't?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

correct, in 2.1 the whole feature of visible email addresses has been removed... although the user can always pm their email address to anyone they want.

Steve

Interesting. I can see why it would be done that way. Thanks.

@ lewism - would this mod help?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3598
DO NOT pm me for support!

Night09

Quote from: Illori on April 12, 2015, 06:02:20 AM
correct, in 2.1 the whole feature of visible email addresses has been removed... although the user can always pm their email address to anyone they want.

Over the years the amount of people incapable of setting their own profile on one of my gaming sites justifies this 100%.

lewism

While I love that idea for 2.1, it should probably be a single admin enable/disable function too for intranet sites which might want that usage.

BTW, a little off topic but, does anyone know if 2.0.9 will be a direct upgrade to 2.1? Kinda nervous that it won't but then, I've not had much time to read about it yet.

Kindred

like all minor and major version upgrades, the only way to upgrade will be to use a FULL upgrade (in other words, replace ALL files)

there will be no patch between 2.0.x and 2.1

As for the option... nope. we specifically REMOVED a series of options which were never actually used and just cluttered the interface.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

I've never actually upgraded from one major version to another, never needed to.
However, in this case, I might want to but now I am not quite clear on what you are saying.

I know you're saying replace all files but does that include the database, is all data lost and we have to start the forum over again? I suspect not but surely want to check :)

Kindred

No. The database will get updated during the process, but will not lose any data...

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: