New and improved Joomla compatible discuss bot (4.1 beta 5 released 11-14-05)

Started by chadness, October 18, 2005, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadness

I was feeling a little crazy after getting a working Discussbot, and decided I didn't like the layout of the postings, so I changed some aspects of it.

Changes to the discussion postings:

• Removes URL and quote from original post (or entire post if that's all it has).
  • Adds headers for discussions and quick reply.
  • Adds ability to have a link to the forum discussion, and a quick reply box.
  • Adds an option for max number of posts it will display underneath the article, with a link to the forum discussion if truncated.
  • New discuss picture and cleaned up postings.

So far, I've only tried this with Joomla 1.0.3 and SMF 1.1 RC1.  I'd like to know if it will work with Mambo 4.5.2 or 4.5.3 - please let me know if you try it out with one of those.

Here's the download for 4.0.1.

Recommended - Here's the download for version 4.1 beta 5.
Details for 4.1 beta 5:
http://www.technoadvice.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_details/gid,8/Itemid,53/

chadness

As an added bonus, here's the SMF Discussbot button, which adds a button to the bottom of your editor to quickly insert {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} (or whatever board you specify) into a content edit box.

This should work for both Mambo (at least 4.5.1 and higher) and Joomla, though I haven't tested with Mambo 4.5.3.

Changes in this version:

• Pretty new button to match the Joomla default buttons
  • Changed default board to be no_discuss, to make the button useful for adding tags to boards you don't want discussions on when you have a default board set.  However, this can be changed to anything you want.

http://www.technoadvice.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,3/Itemid,53/

-edit- Added file as an attachment!

chadness

Just a reminder, per the original discussbot, you do need to add this code to the bottom of you Mambo template:
<?php
ob_start
('output');
$buffer ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
$buffer str_replace('<input type="hidden" name="sc" value="" />','<input type=hidden name="sc" value="'.$sc.'">'$buffer);
echo 
$buffer;
?>

booger

I can click on the link and get to the forum with the link and quote included.  I then type my message and proceed to post it and all I get is a 404 error.

Any ideas?
"You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give."  -Winston Churchill
www.churchministriesonline.com

chadness

Did you include the above code at the bottom of your Mambo/Joomla template?  What version of it and SMF are you running?

booger

Bot -  1.0.1
SMF Forum - SMF 1.1 RC1

Yes it was included and then removed, because it was actually working before without it, and no change.
"You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give."  -Winston Churchill

frankie777

I've gone through the install very methodically and cannot get this to work, it just shows the {xxxxxxxxxxx} mosbot comment on the actual page. I've added the code to the template and am on Joom 103. Any advice appreciated.

chadness

frankie - it sounds like you never published the mambot.

booger - getting a 404 error is very strange, that makes it sound like it isn't getting to the correct uRL.  Have you tried a different theme?  Are yoou using SEF URLs?

sastrugi

Quote from: chadness on October 27, 2005, 11:42:59 PM
frankie - it sounds like you never published the mambot.

I'm getting the same error as Frankie, i.e. the article displays with {mos_smf_discuss:General Chat} in the text of the article

a.) I can confirm that the mambot has been successfully published. This occurs both with fckeditor and mosCE.

b.) this occurs both when I manually type in the {mos_smf_discuss:General Chat} command or if I use your "insert SMF Discussion" button.

booger

Quote from: chadness on October 27, 2005, 11:42:59 PM
booger - getting a 404 error is very strange, that makes it sound like it isn't getting to the correct uRL.  Have you tried a different theme?  Are yoou using SEF URLs?

I am using sef urls just as before and as far as a theme, are you talking about SMF.  If so I am using a redesigned default SMF theme and it was previously working with that as well.  Absolutly nothing has changed from the last bot to this current one other than mambo to Joomla!

chadness

Booger - Yes, your SMF theme - is your theme based on the default theme from SMF 1.1 RC1, or from an earlier one?  There were some big theme changes with RC1 and that can cause some odd errors.  Also, I'll try uploading a version I was working on that is more SEF compatible when I get a chance and see if that helps.

Sastrugi - I was hoping it would be as simple as not being published :)  What version of Joomla, SMF, and the bridge are you using?  I'll try to look at this more as well.

My wife and I just had a new baby, so I won't be able to dedicate as much time to looking at this as I would like.

sastrugi

Quote from: chadness on October 28, 2005, 03:32:27 PMMy wife and I just had a new baby, so I won't be able to dedicate as much time to looking at this as I would like.

Woohoo!! Congratulations, best wishes to you both!!

Re. my discuss_bot problem and my set-up: I'm using Joomla 1.3, Orstio's bridge and SMF v1.1 RC1

Just to recap: my problem is that when I publish an article the text {mos_smf_discuss:My_Board_Name} appears in the body of the article.

If its any consolation I just get errors/plural with the original version of the discuss bot thingy that comes with the bridge  :-\

booger

It was actually an error with teh 404sef compnent I was using.  It was a older version so I just upgraded and it now works.  Thanks for the help.

Congrats on the baby.  We just had our first about 2 1/2 months ago.  I hope all is well with momma and baby.  I wish you and your family the best.

sastrugi

Chad, just a quick update for you. I've been wrestling with my install (its now clean-from new  :'( ) and the discussbot still won't function; but then again neither does the original. O'll start from there I think and try and track this down.

Cheers for your help

ljrodero

I´m getting the same error.

Quote from: sastrugi on October 28, 2005, 09:17:09 AM

I'm getting the same error as Frankie, i.e. the article displays with {mos_smf_discuss:General Chat} in the text of the article

a.) I can confirm that the mambot has been successfully published. This occurs both with fckeditor and mosCE.

b.) this occurs both when I manually type in the {mos_smf_discuss:General Chat} command or if I use your "insert SMF Discussion" button.

I put the code at the botton of index.php of my published template. I have Joomla 1.0.1, SMF 1-1-RC1 (in spanish) and JoomlaSMFForum_1.0.1b.
I tried with hxxp:smf.discussbot.4.0.1.zip [nonactive] and with hxxp:smf.discussbot.4.1b1.zip [nonactive], and the results was allways the same.

Does anyone know why it happens?

chadness

ljrodero - I don't think this works with the joomlahacks version, but Cowboy has a discussbot posted there that I believe works.  He could probably add in the stuff I did easily.

chadness

Quote from: sastrugi on November 02, 2005, 12:27:04 PM
Chad, just a quick update for you. I've been wrestling with my install (its now clean-from new  :'( ) and the discussbot still won't function; but then again neither does the original. O'll start from there I think and try and track this down.

Cheers for your help
Thanks for the update, keep me posted.

And thanks to everyone for the congrats!

torkil

GREAT STUFF! Here is some feedback for you:

Suggestion 1
I suggest you add this option to the config: "Show quick reply for guests? Yes/No". That way I can turn on quick reply as the default option, but turn it off if the user is not logged in, since guests can't post on my forums. If a guest thinks he can post anonomously and writes a long comment that he tries to submit, then he is only taken to the forums "please log in to post messages"-page and loses all his text. Could be annoying ;)

Suggestion 2
I'd like to be able to turn off the discussion link on my frontpage and only have a discussion link on the article view. Is that maybe possible already?

Bug report:
I get this error message on my frontpage:
Warning: preg_replace(): Unknown modifier '/' in /path/to/my/site/mambots/content/smf.discussbot.php on line 205

Question:
Why does that block of code need to be added to the template? What does it do?

I'm running:
- Joomla 1.0.3
- SMF 1.1 RC 1
- SMF-Forum Component for Joomla (the bridge) by Theodore Hildebrandt, version 3.19
- PHP Version 4.3.11

torkil

Another suggestion/feature request:

Ability to turn off discussion icon. Easiest way should be to leave the url input blank.

sastrugi

Quote from: chadness on November 03, 2005, 11:42:49 PM
Quote from: sastrugi on November 02, 2005, 12:27:04 PM
Chad, just a quick update for you. I've been wrestling with my install (its now clean-from new  :'( ) and the discussbot still won't function; but then again neither does the original.

Thanks for the update, keep me posted.

Hmm, well, try as I might I couldn't get the discussbot to work with Jv1.0.3, Orstio's 3.19a bridge and SMF 1.1RC1, neither Orstio's discussbot nor yours would play, all I get is the {mod_smf_blah} text displayed in the page.

So I decided to try the Joomlahacks bridge and bot; and it works :o without a hitch.

Well, thats well strange to me, perhaps more so since the Joomlahack's discussbot bot says its a derivative of Orstio's.

(BTW your discussbot doesn't work with Joomlahack's bridge, but your button does  ;)  :) )

PS I also tried the amendment shown in jonnydement's thread and my 3.19 etc set-up to no avail.

Advertisement: