Responsive Curve

Started by SMF Customization Team, April 20, 2015, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vkot

True, there's something strange happening with TP. I copied responsive.css to tp-style.css but still, it doesn't work on my phone, my forum has desktop appearance, with all the TP blocks. At least, my forum is behaving in a similar way as BigMike's forum when I resize the browser window. It was not like this before, when I asked him:

Quote from: vkot on August 12, 2015, 08:22:22 AM
Quote from: BigMike on May 04, 2015, 08:28:26 PM
EDIT: I've added additional 'hidden' classes to clean up the layout a bit. So far I'm really like'n it!

Can you give some hints on how to achieve this? I love the way the components get relocated or disappear as the screen/window gets smaller, I want to do it too...
For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

Illori

are you talking about the forum in your profile? i am not seeing the responsive theme loading at all when i view it on my phone. maybe that is part of the problem?

i tested the css that was given on the prior page, it does seem to hide the side bars just fine.

vkot

Yes Illori, that's the one. I cannot imagine why the responsive theme is not loading when I access from phone.
For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.

Illori

Quote from: vkot on August 17, 2015, 02:31:07 AM
Yes Illori, that's the one. I cannot imagine why the responsive theme is not loading when I access from phone.

the responsive css is not being called at all. check the page source.

vkot

Oops! the mod did not make the necessary changes to the SMF files. Sorry  :-[
I made all the changes manually.
But nothing changed in the behaviour when I access from desktop and mobile, as I described before. In my mobile browser I checked the page source and it seems OK (with the <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" /> etc.), and I have Antes' code in tp-style.css, but still I see all TP blocks and the full desktop SMF version.

@rjen

I like the MOD a lot, even though some of my users did not.
I ended up creating an extra theme for Mobile use with this mod, while leaving the standard Theme alone.

Just a note for a future version:
The images in my forum would lose proportions in the small layout. This can be easily fixed in de responsive.css file bij adding two lines in the code:

Quote.bbc_img {
      height: auto;
       width: auto;

max-width: 100%;
      max-height: 100%;
   }
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

swaggaderby

please does this mod change to mobile theme or it just makes the theme responsive?

Kindred

As the title and the description states...   it makes the Curve theme (which is the default theme in 2.0.x) be somewhat responsive (enough to pass google's tests)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dpalenski

We've been getting members seeing this when they go into the site

When they clear their browser data it's seems fix this what do you guys think the cause is 

stmaxx

I think you will need to state, if you are using a portal and or other mods, that may cause this, most portals do not close the side panels when viewed by a mobile device, and or is you shrink the browser width.

If this is the case , it not a problem of or from the SMF responsive mods.

Please give more details!

regards,
Maxx

dpalenski

We don't have any portal mods and it's only happening on some devices and clearing browser cache seems to fix it. One theory seems to be some files not loading on those devices and properly most likely but I was interested in what people on SMF thought.     

Deprecated

I still don't get it. Responsive to what? I installed it and I can't see any difference. (Beta 4, SMF 2.0.10, non-production forum)

"Responsive enough to satisfy Google." Uh... Huh?

Yeah I understand it's mostly CSS. Plenty of theme mods are mostly CSS.

But what does it do? Maybe you could tell us what it responds to. Then if you are ambitious, when responding to .... what is its response? What does it change?

margarett

Try to resize your browser until the width is small enough. You'll see that some content becomes hidden.

The idea is to have less content in smaller screens.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

"responsive" is the term used to describe themes or site designs which RESPOND to the available screen size by changing the display based on screen size -- this can involve limiting content, changing some text to icons and/or moving content around. Almost all (if not all) responsive activity is handled  by CSS (sometimes javascript is involved)

So -- google has begun penalizing sites who do not have (what they consider) "mobile friendly" designs
this mod updates the curve/default theme to a point where it is somewhat responsive and will pass google's tests and thus, avoid penalty.

the 2.1 default theme is fully responsive.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

Jeez, thank you so much margarett and Kindred. After 12 pages of ... you finally nailed the description of what the heck it is! NOW I understand, I get it! :D

Just one final question, will this be included in any SMF 2.0.* versions or will it only be in SMF 2.1? Or in other words, should I install it in any and all 2.0 versions? I mean any and all that meet the version requirements stated on the mod site? I have only one true production site but I figure might as well keep the test sites up to date anyway...

BTW I have one 2.1 test site and I love the work your dev crew has been doing! And no, I'm not gonna ask when it will be released! ;)

Kindred

1- this mod only realy affects curve and curve variants. it would have iimited, if any, effect on any other theme...

2- this mod is only for 2.0.x - 2.1 has responsiveness already built in

3- if your site is not viewed by mobile devices and/or not viewed by google, this mod would not really matter...

as a note...   we should not have had to nail "what it is" --  responsive is a standard term for what I described in my previous post... :P
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

It will remain as an official MOD and not included in the core software. It is known to cause issues with MODs which somehow affect the layout and are not prepared for responsive behavior (portals and Ads come to my mind)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Antes

We already included dirty fix for SP inside the latest beta, ezPortal's new version is gonna be fully responsive. TP is also responsive(?). So that'll cover 90% (or maybe more) sites using portal.

For Ads, you can max-width 100% to ad-images. For Google ads you need to use "responsive ads" otherwise you have to use ads which fits the small screens as well. For other ad servers (Adsense alike) if they are not offering responsive ad options you need to step back or get used to the overflowing. Nearly all ad networks disallows you to resize the ads due to abuse.

Illori

Quote from: Antes on October 12, 2015, 09:58:03 AM
TP is also responsive(?)

nope it is not. but they would welcome changes to move in that direction.

Antes

Quote from: Illori on October 12, 2015, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: Antes on October 12, 2015, 09:58:03 AM
TP is also responsive(?)

nope it is not. but they would welcome changes to move in that direction.

my bad I thought they added stuff in 1.1 release.

Advertisement: