News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Responsive Curve

Started by SMF Customization Team, April 20, 2015, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 13, 2018, 01:17:08 PM
It installed correctly in default Curve, with one manual edit in Memberlist.template.php.  Are the menu icons in /images/AlternativeMenu.icons/?  They're present in both themes.  Not especially useful if you don't know what they are, there are no labels, and all custom menu items (there are several on this forum) are the same.

I think is one image sprite for the menu. Not several images for the menu.

Arantor

And if a specific icon isn't added by a mod, it's just going to have the generic (?) icon instead.

2.1 has the same problem, incidentally.

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, I'm glad someone else thinks it's a problem.  We'll use something else, maybe the cust team can get around to adding a useable menu to the mod.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Gwenwyfar

Nobody said there wasn't an issue. Except you have posted multiple problems in the same post. I wasn't commenting on the default icons, but your missing ones.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Sir Osis of Liver

What causes the normal Curve menu to switch to icon menu below a specified width?

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, got rid of the silly menu icons and have normal Curve menu buttons wrapping where they should be.  A little neater with submenus disabled.  Seems like an obvious solution, why wasn't it done this way?

Also, what's that mess at bottom of ACP?

- R. Waters

Arantor

Because that's not how it's done in 2.1 where there are icons all the time. That, and losing multiple rows of screen space on a small device is a bad idea.

That said I don't know why I'm defending it, you'll just find more ways to bash it because it doesn't work how you like.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's really not up to me, I'm dealing with a very difficult forum, members are complaining about everything we've tried.  They've been using Curve MC for a long time, not having responsive theme doesn't seem to be a big problem for them on mobiles, but forum owner is concerned that Google treats non-responsive sites somewhat badly, so it's being done primarily for seo.  Don't know if it really makes much difference, but that's what she wants.  Doesn't help that the responsive themes we've tried are designed rather poorly.  If I could find one that works well, I have several forums that could use it.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Google treats UGC far more harshly than any penalty for "non responsive". But honestly, take a look at some of the SMF Tricks themes like Reseller, see f they would work better.

Responsive Curve really only works on the default theme with no large mods, just because of the fragility of the theme itself and what was backported from 2.1, in spite of what anyone else may claim. And even 2.1's Responsive has a lot of issues too depending on how you look at it.

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2018, 03:35:21 AM
Responsive Curve really only works on the default theme with no large mods, just because of the fragility of the theme itself and what was backported from 2.1, in spite of what anyone else may claim. And even 2.1's Responsive has a lot of issues too depending on how you look at it.

You got my attention, and now you have to feed my curiosity or kitty bites back.

Mick.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 14, 2018, 02:42:06 AM

Also, what's that mess at bottom of ACP?

This should fix that mumble-jumble..

#quick_tasks li
{
float: left;
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0.5em 0;
width: 49.5%;
height: 4.5em;
}

Replace with:

#quick_tasks li
{
float: left;
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0.5em 0;
min-width: 49.5%;
height: auto;
}

In default/css/admin.css

Mick.

Should look like this...

Mick.

@ Sir Osis, Nevermind my post. I dont use responsive.css in my site but was able to fix the mumble-jumble in my site since it looked just like yours.

Out of curiousity, I went to check my dev site, it was already fixed in the default theme but a bit different.

This is already done in Themes/default/css/responsive.css #quick_tasks li  It may be that you still not calling the css file to your custom theme.

Arantor

Quote from: Antes on August 14, 2018, 06:10:28 AM
Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2018, 03:35:21 AM

You got my attention, and now you have to feed my curiosity or kitty bites back.

First of all, just hiding content based on width isn't great, when others rearrange the presentation.

I haven't looked lately if the real howler was fixed whereby in 2.1 if you were in the admin area on mobile you'd get two hamburger menus with no idea what they were.

While I get going down to icons, when mods add new menu items, but only ever spit out a (?) icon, that's not great especially as site owners don't obviousky know how to fix that (and mod authors may not be around to fix that any more). The 2.1 hamburger menu was better about this, except when you had two of them.

Also, mobile being based the size of phone you had, and not what was common in the market always seemed weird to me...

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2018, 01:43:21 PM
when mods add new menu items, but only ever spit out a (?) icon, that's not great

Doesn't help that it's a sprite.  Most of the members on this forum were very happy with Curve MC, even mobile users.  What I've just suggested is reinstalling responsive curve mod (I think I can get it to work reasonably well in MC), set that as theme_guest so Google sees it, and have everyone else on non-responsive MC (two theme installs), with option for members to select responsive version if they prefer.  Meanwhile we're trying to customize mobile-desktop theme, so there'll be several options, but working with these people is like herding cats (no offense, Antes).

- R. Waters

Arantor

Being a sprite actually has absolutely no bearing on its effectiveness. If anything it actually works better than the alternative which would be to spit out an image that doesn't load (which we saw a LOT of back in the custom themes in 1.1 days)

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm sure it works fine, but makes it very difficult if you want to add icons for additional links.  This forum has two added buttons, the other one I installed it on has three.  Looks nice, but it's useless for navigation.

- R. Waters

Arantor

It's like adding a couple of lines of CSS, sprite or no sprite...

But yes, putting aside the implementation details (that aren't really a problem), the fact that it just puts (?) icons for unknown icons is a problem in both this mod and in 2.1.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2018, 07:19:48 PM
It's like adding a couple of lines of CSS, sprite or no sprite...

Yes, but you'd have to add new icons to the sprite for the new menu items.  Not something most forum owners would want to try.  And doesn't solve the problem of which of these icons does what.

- R. Waters

Mick.

Im one who is against sprites. Yes, they're light-weight and load faster with 1 image than 30 images. When i created the menu icons mod, i was asked to use sprites and i said no. Simply because if you add a new tab in the menu, there will be no specific icon for it.

Advertisement: